Mess Deck: General Section > Model Boat Links

Model Boat plans

(1/5) > >>

roycv:
Hi all, anyone gone onto the myhobbystore web site lately?
I was checking on an old Model Boats (magazine) plan and find it is all under the one banner of Traplet.
I suppose there was a clue with Traplet plans being advertised in Model boats magazine in the last 2 issues.
I wonder what is happening?
regards Roy

mrlownotes:
I noticed that and registered mild confusion. If you go to the 'Contact us' page, you will see, at the bottom, that the contact is a Traplet address etc.
I hope that the production of the magazine does not go to Traplet.

Kevgarth:
I saw an add advertising Traplet plans recently stating they had the largest range of model plans in UK?
But what I find more astonishing is I've got about 10 plans from the old Model Boats plans handbook when they were under the Argus, Mapp banner before being bought out by The Hobbystore and they no longer have these plans in their library and even a few years ago they were asking modellers to let them know if they have an old plans so they could have it back scan it for future sells again, well how did that happen as some of the plans they've lost are interesting designs and subjects???
It's a bit like the BBC chucking all the old "top of the pops" and early "Dr Who" films out and now asking people who pulled them out the rubbish skips for them back !!!

Steamboat Phil would know four of them "Birdie, Kippa, Mugga and B-Liner" all straight running boats but people have gone to the trouble of drawing these plans up for others to build and enjoy sailing and these plans end up in the bin? Interesting enough the "Kippa and Mugga" design was drawn up by an old chairman of the MPBA and Blackheath MBC member Mr Don Hewett unfortunately he's no longer with us but a really nice guy always offering help and advice and was a great ambassador for our hobby, and he also used to do a regular write-up for Model Boats magazine.

Regards
Kevin

roycv:
Hi Kevin I responded to a 'wants' plea as I have the old model boats Bermuda sloop plan, but I was never asked to pass it back for copying.
Perhaps our fellow mayhemmer Colin has some comment?  That is on the magazine status.
regards Roy

roycv:
Hi all, just heard from Model Boats magazine editor Paul Freshney.  The retail web site Myhobbystore was sold to Traplet and Model Boats owner's bought 5 magazine titles from them. 

Model Boats magazine is running strongly and will continue to do so.

The Traplet model boat plans website is not easy to navigate, perhaps we can look forward to seeing that improve.

Model Boat magazine readers may remember an article on a 'footy' by Phil Parker recently. 
He was a major contributor to British Railway Modelling magazine and he has now moved over to edit Engineering in Minature and Garden Rail magazine. 
BRM do an excellent DVD with each issue, perhaps a nice idea for Model Boats magazine?

regards Roy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version