Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre cut deck planking sheets  (Read 2222 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Pre cut deck planking sheets
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:41:08 pm »

Hi all, I am looking for advice. 
I have some deck planking (2mm wide) in 4 inch wide sheet form.   I am proposing to use it in straight lines, commercial boat, do I cut to fit the deck lines, or separate into individual planks?

If it was for a yacht I would use separate planks as I would probably be following curves.

Does anyone have experince of using (Aeronaut) plank sheets?
regards Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pre cut deck planking sheets
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:55 am »

Hullo Roy......missing the afternoon sun having that glass of red wine overlooking our Hawkesbury River yet? {-)

Back to subject....depends on the vessel.....and also the location of the planks......many speed type vessels have straight planking on the foredeck or FWD cowling...others curved to the contour of the hull

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

T33cno

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:11:16 am »

I would thing the issue with a sheet of planks would be that the grain could make it look like a sheet regardless of lines

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:05:57 am »

Hi T33, the sheet is very close grained obechi / bass wood and there is no apparent grain marking, but I take your point and will bear that in mind.

I am just asking if anyone has used this before and do I cut it up or not?  I think I am leaning towards cutting the planks out separately.

Hi Derek, I have already booked my flights!!!!  Qantas made me an offer I could not refuse, there and back for £750.00, so I shall be there from mid February to mid March.  My son has a new (larger) yacht, I have yet to see.  But moored up overnight on the Hawkesbury River and waking up to frying bacon and eggs is just about as good as it gets.  We also had a birthday celebration the year before in the further part of Sydney Harbour under and past the lifting bridge in the conservation area, and that was equally great.
I hope the weather is more reasonable next year, the mid 40's is far too hot for me.  I was swimming with a sun hat on in 112 dgs F, only way to keep cool, although the air con in the house was mid 80's so did not exactly suffer.

Meanwhile I am moving my re-build of Talacre to look more like the other Caldercraft offering of Clanity.  Thanks to the superb model and photos of Clanity made by Jenno a few years ago.  Although of different model size, (1 : 32 and 1: 48) they are of the same size prototype ship.

I have a thread running on turning the bridge around on Talacre but I am not that happy with the result and I am pausing while I reconsider what I really want.
So I have started my wish list in my Notes on Boats book (Vol 3).  Works well for me anyway.
regards to all
Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:19 am »

:-)).....Qantas made me an offer I could not refuse, there and back for £750.00......

Wow....at a per kilometre/kilometre cost, this is 1/10th of my domestic costs.......but still we  :kiss: our Qantas

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:35 am »

Hi roycv,

Depends on which model it is. I assume you have their 100mm wide by 2mm thick basswood sheets, which I have used. If it is a sheet steel hull and deck then lay as sheets or plates of steel. Not all boats were planked but those that are can be either curved to match the edge of the deck and to meet a king plank on the centre-line as you mention on yachts and other top build boats, but could easily be straight planked. It is up to the individual.
Most straight planked boats have a curved plank to start with anyway, all around the deck edge and mitred frames around deck openings, the rest of the deck is straight and I usually draw the lines on bass sheets with a fine pen or black ballpoint to simulate this.

More often though, I prefer to slit the plank into scale widths and lay individually using either a contrasting wood veneer strip on edge between each plank or strips of artists colored heavy cartridge paper also stuck on edge in the same way. (Tip:- use a paper guillotine to slice long lengths of card or veneer)

A lot of modern vessels now use a type of silicone between planks as the sealer (Caulking) and this is often grey or even white and gives a nice contrast with varnished or stained basswood (or Obechi) clearly doing it this way is a lot more work but does look really nice when rubbed down and varnished.

Aeronaut, many years ago did a decking sheet which was prelaminated with caulking lines, the most common being mahogany (Sapele) and boxwood or obechi veneer. It is very hard to find this now so I laminate up my own blocks for decking in the same way and slice them thinly on the bandsaw.

If you use their basswood/obechi cut into strip and want to lay it curved you may have to soak it or use steam to get the curves, it being a very close grain hardwood, but this is very effective too.

I use aliphatic resin glue for doing this type of work but medium viscosity cyano (Superglue) is quicker....watch your fingers!.

Hope this helps, questions about planking will normally get everyone telling you how they do it...so I'm probably the first in a long line of hints, tips and methods....have fun.

Ron Rees.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »

Hi Ron thanks for taking the time with your post.  I have done this before but other info always welcome.  I think I shall cut up the planking and apply in separate strips.  I have a mitre cutter (razor blade) and I shall enjoy the process.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.