Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Futaba F14 Navy transmitter  (Read 2580 times)

Lother42

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Futaba F14 Navy transmitter
« on: June 02, 2017, 06:53:14 pm »

Hi, looking for some info on Futaba F14 Navy transmitter, would like to know if the left hand stick(ahead/astern) has the ratchet movement on it the same as F14 dual stick set up, and also if a bow thruster can be operated from the up and down movement on the rudder stick as have been told i can't, only used basic 2 channel radios so extras a bit new to me so any advice appreciated, thanks.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Futaba F14 Navy transmitter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:09:38 pm »

Hello
the F14 navy has duel stick is ratched on the duel left hand side .
The normal F14 is also Ratched but can be converted to spring centre .
Any chanel can operate a bow thruster

John

Lother42

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:09:03 pm »

Many thanks for info John, much appreciated.
Crawford

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:31:38 pm »

Hi Lother42,

Just to try and help you understand things a bit more. Most people would typically have the rudder on the side to side movement of the right hand stick and if fitting a box thruster they would put this on the side to side movement of the left hand stick.

The up/down movement of the left hand stick would be used for throttle (i.e. speed controller). Now if you are thinking of using a Robbe/Futaba Navy F14 which has 2 throttle sticks on the left hand side, you could use one of them for the normal speed controller and use the other one for a bow thruster. However, because the stick is moving up & down, you would just need to remember which movement is left and right. Normal practice would be to make Up = Left and Down = Right. You may have your own preference ....... so set it how you want it.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Lother42

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:52:45 pm »

Thanks for that Steve, was going to go with the bow thruster on the rudder stick as you say, was just that one of the esc manufacturers said the F14 didn't have sideway movement on the rudder, just shows the're not always as switched on as they think lol
Regards
Crawford

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:26:46 pm »

Lother42,

i think the confusion over this is that there are actually two versions of the f14...   the f14, and the "f14 navy"   the f14 navy has two throttle sticks on the left, which only move up-down, with no movement left-right,  and a "normal" airplane style gimbal on the right, so only one stick that moves left-right, that stick being the only stick that would work for a rudder.   the standard f14 has two "normal" airplane style gimbals, so there are two sticks that can move up-down/left-right.  tradition for model boats using the standard f14 would have the rudder on the right, and the thruster on the left.   for those that own a "f14 navy", you need to figure out if your brain can handle using an up-down stick on the left to move the thruster left-right.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:40:41 am »

just to confuse things more....  %%

main motor on the left stick ; forwards / Reverse
Ruder on the right stick ; left and right

connected onto the same channel as the rudder on the receiver with a "Y" cable the bow thruster ESC, between the output of the ESC and the bow thruster motor, a universal reverser twin switcher...
with the switch in the forward position the bow thruster works with the rudder to make a tighter turn.. left or right and fully proportional..
with the switch in the center ( Off ) no power goes from the ESC to the bow thruster motor, so you only have rudder movement..
with the switch in the reverse position the bow thruster works in the opposite direction to the rudder movment, this is handy when reversing.. helping to stear the bow in the direction the rudder would like to take the boat..

with the switch in the reverse position and driving slow ahead, you can then traverse.. (sideways diagonal)

this way you do not need to think about which way the bow thruster needs to operate and on which stick... you just need to know .. am I driving forwards or in reverse..  :-))

just something to think about... I have used this setup in a few of my boats.. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.