Mess Deck: General Section > Tugs and Towing

Steam sound for a TID tug.

(1/12) > >>

zooma:
I have just finished my 1/24 scale TID tug - my first model built from plan, and my first using plastic card.
The model has turned out quite well for a first attempt and sails well, but I would like to find a realistic sound system to add to it.
 As the TID has been a popular model to make I am hoping someone will have made a suitable sound unit for it.
 Can anyone recommend a good unit that sounds authentic in a model of an early steam powered TID tug please ?

tugmad:
TID Tugs didn't have a sound as such, only the occasional mechanical knock, as the steam exhaust was led through a condenser and the water collected in the hotwell tank,so that the boiler water could be re used and not exhausted to the atmosphere and wasted.

Martin (Admin):

TID's had triple expansion steam engines if that helps the search....

tugmad:
Sorry Martin but TID s only had two cylinders not three.
Twin compound 220 hp. Some were coal fired while the later ones were oil fired. But still no steam exhaust noises.
TID Tugs are 70 ft long overall and powered by a compound engine by John Dickenson & Sons of Sunderland.  Main dimensions are H.P. Bore 12” L.P. Bore 26½” by 18” stroke giving 220 I.H.P.  Steam is supplied by a scotch boiler 9’ 6” long x 9’ in diameter at 140 P.S.I. and the units have a bollard pull of 2½ tons.

steam up:
Great detailed response cheers, on the to do list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version