Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electrical set up problems (loyal class)  (Read 2606 times)

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
  • time to sail the world and the 7 sea's
electrical set up problems (loyal class)
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:19:36 pm »

elec
happy boating :D

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: electrical set up problems (loyal class)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:57 pm »

??????
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:26:41 pm »

evening all, just got back in, after an evening at the boating lake, and one thing ive noticed is maybe my loyal class set up is all wrong, and I was hoping for some advice off some seasoned modellers..
 I was running my loyal, off a 12vt battery, to power a 12vlt motor, however I was only getting enough power for it to move away at a snails pace, I then tried using one of my 7.2vlt batteries, and altho still slow, there was more power than there was when using the original 12vlt battery.. now my question is... is myset up wrong?? ive added some pictures of my set up, any advice would be really grateful

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:05 pm »

motor and esc set up

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:12:49 pm »

That motor looks like some sort of 700 type motor, but I could be wrong.
The Electronize 43x controller is only rated at 10amps (ONLY 10 amps, at least Electronize mean 10 amps when they say it!!), If you have a 'hot' motor on board, it will be sucking loads of amps through your speed control. Your 7.2v batteries will provide less voltage, but the motor will be drawing less amps, putting less load on the speed control and possibly allowing more power being delivered to the motor, or your 12v battery is knackered!
So, two things, what motor are you using. and can you do a load test on your batteries with a volt meter and some sort of load, a motor or bulb??
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:15:58 pm »

The Electronize 43x controller is only rated at 10amps (ONLY 10 amps, at least Electronize mean 10 amps when they say it!!), If you have a 'hot' motor on board, it will be sucking loads of amps through your speed control. Your 7.2v batteries will provide less voltage, but the motor will be drawing less amps, putting less load on the speed control and possibly allowing more power being delivered to the motor, or your 12v battery is knackered!
So, two things, what motor are you using. and can you do a load test on your batteries with a volt meter and some sort of load, a motor or bulb??
+ Does turning the speed range adjuster change anything?
+ What radio set (Tx and Rx) are you using and have you just taken the electromechanical banger out of retirement?
+ switches in the power line?
- I'm not concerned about the motor so much
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »

I had charged two 12vlt batteries up, one was at 11.3vlts and the other just under 10vlt, both had little or no power when the motor was running, I did think about the esc being the wrong one, I had salvaged it out of another model, it does say on the plastic bit about 6vlts but was unsure, maybe ive got the set up all wrong, I was just looking into weather one of those jp 50amp controllers would work, and use a 12v 3700mAh battery                                         

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 10:21:25 pm »

+ Does turning the speed range adjuster change anything?
+ What radio set (Tx and Rx) are you using and have you just taken the electromechanical banger out of retirement?
+ switches in the power line?
- I'm not concerned about the motor so much

I'm using a spectrum DX6E with and Orange DSMX rx,

power doesn't actually move the motor until the throttle stick is around 50% but I'm unsure how to change it as I'm new to using the Spektrum transmitter

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:27:53 pm »

The 6v marked on the schrack relay is the coil voltage. It is of no concern.
Trim the speed range with a low power bulb in place of the motor or even try the speed control plugged into another channel to check the transmitter span is not set to a low percentage of normal. Then get a good battery.

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 10:29:55 pm »

The 6v marked on the schrack relay is the coil voltage. It is of no concern.
Trim the speed range with a low power bulb in place of the motor or even try it plugged in another channel in case transmitter span is at a low percentage of normal. Then get a good battery.

okay, ill try swapping the channel outputs over tomorrow, see how that goes, I'm currently using 12vlt lead acid batteries, would nicds be better?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 10:33:58 pm »

Your 12v batteries are good for ballast. You'd have better luck picking up a random 12v sealed one from a recycling centre or ex-equipment from a burglar alarm contractor. Try the speed range and listen to the motor rpm.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 11:35:51 pm »

I had charged two 12vlt batteries up, one was at 11.3vlts and the other just under 10vlt, both had little or no power when the motor was running, I did think about the esc being the wrong one, I had salvaged it out of another model, it does say on the plastic bit about 6vlts but was unsure, maybe ive got the set up all wrong, I was just looking into weather one of those jp 50amp controllers would work, and use a 12v 3700mAh battery                                         

Well it sounds like two duff 12v gel batteries. Off load these should be up around 12.8v to 13.5v or there abouts. If you put some sort of reasonable load on them (2 to 3 amps should do it ), you should see the voltage levelling off at just above 12v. If it is below 11v on load, your battery is either flat or on the way out. Any less than this and it is ballast!
The Electronize controller does have a speed range adjuster which can be used to reduce the top end of the motors output. I have found the best way to adjust this is to connect the radio up, turn everything on, then adjust the little variable pot while the throttle is running at full speed. Listen to the tone of the motor as you adjust the pot. You can hear as the motors top end slows down a bit. Just before the motor can be heard to slow down is where you want the adjuster, in normal use anyway.....but I think your batteries are knackered :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 09:43:48 am »

I had charged two 12vlt batteries up, one was at 11.3vlts and the other just under 10vlt
Dead batteries, good for ballast and/or recycling only.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.