Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Premium Line Boats operating voltage  (Read 2355 times)

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Graupner Premium Line Boats operating voltage
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:59:52 am »

Does anyone know the intended operating voltage for Graupner's HMS Bluebell. There is no information on nor in the packaging and instructions. The motor and esc are not labeled. I have e-mailed graupner and Graupner USA without receiving a response and I am loath to hook up a battery and burn up the esc.
Thank you
Jonathan

inertia

Re: Graupner Premium Line Boats operating voltage
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:52:57 pm »

1 x 7.2v 3600 maH NiMH pack. Probably Sub-C size cells. You'll do a lot better for price than buying the Graupner-badged one.
DM

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 12:55:24 am »

Thanks for the reply. 3600 mah does not seem like much of a pack for this boat and motor combo. I am guessing that the motor is a 540 series. The esc has no label nor identifying info on it. I much prefer to use batteries for ballast rather than lead.

inertia

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:50:15 am »

You asked about the intended voltage - it's 7.2v. If you want to pay over the odds for a small-capacity pack then suit yourself.
DM

inertia

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:48:10 am »

Just to make things absolutely crystal clear, here is the manual which I downloaded from the web. If you look at the photos on page 15 you'll see the Graupner-recommended pack being fitted. The voltage and capacity are quite clear if you zoom in a little, when you'll find an 8.4v pack (7 cells) shown. If you look at the following page, which gives the spec of their part #2490.6, you'll see a 7.2v pack specified. 8.4v seems excessive to me, and I would fit a larger-capacity pack if it were mine, but you may suit yourself as to what you fit and why. Do RTFM next time, old thing.  https://www.logicrc.com/instructions/B-2200_BLUEBELL.pdf

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:09 am »

Inertia,
 Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for. My model did not include that and I was unable to find it on the Graupner site.
Jonathan

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:54:01 am »

It is odd that the retailers selling the range don't include an appropriate battery in their "you might like to buy this as well" list.  Even more that Graupner, who have long had a liking for 6 volt SLAs, are not more forthcoming with the information when there is a difference between past habit and current practice.  If they did, perhaps the retailers would include the information, and sell more batteries.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:41:32 am »

I find it interesting that Graupner used to list a 6 volt SLA as an accessory power source for this model, but has now switched to the 7.2 volt NIMH pack. I wonder if it is because the NIMH pack could be used on so many of their other models, including cars ect. whereas the SLA would have limited application.
I tried my spare 6 volt SLA and it appears to provide more that enough power, and probably significantly more than scale looking speed, so I am sticking with it. Besides, I think it will provide significantly increased run times, and it also provides some more of the 16.5 KG ballast required by this hull.
As an aside: The Bluebell model had numerous pin hole leaks along the lines of the bilge keels. At almost 3/4 of a cup/20 minutes, it required attention. Rather than return the hull, I fiber glassed strips of 2" glass tape along the bilge keels inside the hull, as well as adding a strip along the keel line. I also stuffed the bow full of closed cell foam for emergency floatation. It is a very lightly made hull. Quite nice with it's molded in detail, as well as the basic detail of the deck fittings ect. That said, tank testing BEFORE the first sailing is highly recommended.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:03 am »

I received a reply from Graupner to my query regarding operating voltage of the HMS Bluebell. They stated that 6 volts would be sufficient. I have trialed the Bluebell on 6 volts and she performs nicely, attaining an easy 30+ scale knots. My friend questioned if I might be able to attain planing speed....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.