Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toy "Riva" upgrade  (Read 765 times)

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Toy "Riva" upgrade
« on: May 03, 2023, 10:52:34 am »

Some years ago I bought two used Dickie "Bella Luisa" 27 mhz rc toy boats in order to upgrade at least one of them to a viable rc model. This particular toy boat has also been released by other toy manufacturers such as Jamara who christened it "Venezia". Nowadays a 24 mhz version of this rc toy boat is also available but its range probably still leaves a lot to be desired. Apart from the range issue, the lack of a rudder is also not ideal. Personally however, I think the biggest issue of the toy boat is its weight. Bella Luisa weighs in at 672 grams (without batteries) which is simply too much for such a small boat (length 47.5 cm). As can be judged from this video the boat sits far too deep in the water and the way it "plows" through the water doesn't look realistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c3fat39FS0&t=11s

I exchanged the two original brushed motors for a single brushless one with a single prop shaft instead of two. I also added a homemade rudder and a steering servo. I removed as much redundant plastic as I could and filled in the two prop channels in the bottom of the hull with pieces of 1mm styrene sheet. I also removed a lot of redundant screws as the Dickie toy is ridiculously overengineered and many parts are fixed with screws rather than glue. In the end I managed to bring the boat's weight down to 485 grams (without lipo) instead of its original 672 grams. which I think is quite substantial.    I borrowed some pics from this old thread on rcgroups to show what the boat's original twin motor setup looked like :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2144977-RC-Toy-Bella-Luisa

Modifications :

Instead of the 3S lipo in the previous pics I used a 2S lipo of the same size :

Some pics of her maiden voyage :

The massive bow wave at moderate speed will have to be addressed by moving the lipo further to the stern and by adding spray strakes to the bow.

When the speed is increased the bow wave is reduced accordingly :

Regards,

Arjan

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Toy "Riva" upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 02:00:32 pm »

Hi Arjan

A great result I'd say.  Looks like the boat rides a lot better with less weight and more power..!

Best regards
David.

DHutch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 04:34:55 pm »

Nice, enjoyed that!

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 01:48:47 am »

What a great improvement you really achieved after intensive and splendid works.
This is truly a RC hobby grade RC boat.!!!! :-)) :-)) :-))
Please enjoy a happy boating on the water with the boat into which you have poured a lot of efforts. O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.