Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My 1/10 DUKW build  (Read 16226 times)

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My 1/10 DUKW build
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:31:43 pm »

I decided late last year I wanted to build myself a DUKW (my second boat build) and went ahead and purchased a set of 6 wheel drive axles to commit myself!  :-)
After ordering various bits and pieces from Ebay China I began the build at the beginning of January in what felt like minus temperatures, probably was as I had to resort to gluing in the house as it was too cold.  ;D
Initially I planned on putting glass fibre over the plywood, but having never done this before I chickened out and opted to use car body filler (soooo much sanding!)
So i thought I'd share with you my progress so far  :-))
All the working gear is in and I've set this up so I can interchange the drive between the wheels, prop or both etc. I've done a quick incline test and managed to climb about a 45 degree slope so its not the quickest on land but really torque-y! Shouldn't have any issues climbing out a boating pool thats for sure.
To try and keep costs down I made myself a set of 'leaf springs' (not that they have much spring in them!) I did this by purchasing a lawn mower pull spring which I cut to size and then formed a loop each end to put a bolt through.
Lesson learnt here is that spring steel is near impossible to drill through and in fact I couldn't drill through it. So to get round this i made myself a set of u-bolts with a plate to clamp the spring to the axle. Again the cost to buy these for the axles was ridiculous- £35 PER AXLE  (for 2 u-bolts and a plate to bolt to!). I did this with some threaded bar which I've covered in some fuel hose I have spare from my rc car. This way when it clamps on it wont damage the axles.
So I'm at the stage now where I need to construct the cargo bay area which will simply drop in and out and complete the drivers compartment (windows, seats, steering wheel etc)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My 1/10 DUKW build
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:38 pm »

Looks like you're progressing very well indeed - and your idea of the "leaf springs" looks like a winner too. Looking forward to seeing more on this one. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:10:36 pm »

High Tom in the search bar type in DUKW plans have a look at my model. My model is more for sailing than running on land .You will see from the pictures it is a very detailed model enjoy.

Stan

Kirklees Model Boat  Club

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 05:02:21 am »

Awesome model, PM sent.

-Bruce
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:30:34 pm »

I like the effort you have gone to on the suspension and on those covers either side of the windscreen, which look very complicated to make.

Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:15:19 pm »

Hi Ian those covers are very hard to make. On my model all the cab area was built from styrene sheet and super detailed. Inside those covers there is a fine mesh and the engine exhaust.

Stan.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 10:21:50 pm »

Getting back to Tom,s original post and build can I just say what an excellent job you have made Tom on the project so far.

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 11:02:24 pm »

Thanks everyone  :-)  ive taken the axles apart now and greased them up, the springs have been given a coat of green hammerite I had around as they started to get a bit of surface rust. All the other parts are stainless steel or aluminium so all being well wont have any problems.
Similar to Stan i just used a sheet of plastic to form the covers, i found the hardest part was cutting it to the right shape! Then underneath each is a grill which you cant really see.
I attempted to start the cargo bay today but the shed was practically a sauna so that wil have to wait!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:17:29 pm »

Hi Tom if you wish can send pictures of those mesh grills. Pity you were not at the paint stage just the right weather.

Stan

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »

Looking good, keep the posts coming, a very interesting build.
grumpy old XXX

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 05:55:27 am »

Hello
Just wanted to say Thank You for posting your build. I think this site is too much trouble for me, keeps giving me crazy build ideas and rekindles old build wishes pushed away in memory, dam it.

Would you be kind enough to tell us where on ebay the axles came from?
Thanks
George

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 06:43:57 am »

Hello
Just wanted to say Thank You for posting your build. I think this site is too much trouble for me, keeps giving me crazy build ideas and rekindles old build wishes pushed away in memory, dam it.

Would you be kind enough to tell us where on ebay the axles came from?
Thanks
George

Hey George,

Now you know why Martin called it M.... B... Mayhem  O0  O0  {-)  {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:59 am »

Hi Tom If you wish I can scan all the warning panels that go in the cab area and send them to you. I have enclosed  a picture of the mesh found under the curved area and some shots of the cab area. Hope these will be of use to you.

Stan.
Kirklees Model Boat Club.

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 05:28:31 pm »

Thanks Stan that would be great  :-)) I've had a good look at your build in other posts and it looks great!

Hi George  :-)  I'm glad to hear my post has got you thinking! My axles were from ebay but from a private seller in America, they are branded Yota 2 and I managed to pick up the set of 3 axles together at a fairly reasonable price. You don't necessarily have to go full 6 wheel drive though, could go 4 wheel drive or even 2. It really depends if you need the traction! But 6 wheel drive sounded more fun so I opted for that! I'm sure other branded 1/10 axles would work just as well too.

Thanks,

Tom

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »

Few more pictures so far. You can see the separate drive for the propeller and wheels, I could of very easily ran the prop off the same drive as the wheels, but i didnt really want them going whilst it was in the water, also the ratios are different too. The easiest way I found to change drive between motors was from a set of on/off switches operated by a a servo! There's probably a smarter way of doing this haha

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:03 pm »

It is good to see the effort being made not only to make her drivable on land but also make the two drives disengage when wanted.

I can't wait to see him being put through his paces  ok2
Pond weed is your enemy

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 08:38:15 am »

A Sketch of the electical circuit would be useful.

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 05:57:29 am »

Hello Again

Since I am now back in this madness and started buying parts through ebay. Would you be able to draw your electrical wiring circuit for drive wheel power and for propeller power?
 Also I am NOT used to 4 wheel drive BUT I have decided to do mine that way. Can you explain your motor hook up system? I see you used No transmission and I am NOT sure what the motor shaft is going into and out of.

Thanks Again
 George

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 07:04:14 pm »

Just a quick update, completed the 'splash guard' today I just need to fix it to the body. There seems to be a few variances of this and in the end I opted for this design. Initially I wanted to operate this remotely, or for it to rise up when the prop motor is turned on but i decided in the end against this.
Hi George the motor for the drive connects to a transmission box which then sends the drive to the front and back wheels. Im afraid wiring and drawing are something im not good at so will struggle to help in this department! I've found a lot of this to be trial and error!.

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 09:13:30 pm »

Hi Tom
Your gearbox used for the drive wheels, looks different from what I`ve seen on ebay, can you give me a link to where you got it?
Thanks Tom
George

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 09:27:19 am »

PM replied to George  :-)

I've built the cargo area now and will be starting next on the windows. I have a week off work so all being well can make some good progress!!

I have a question if anyone can answer regarding batteries. I have 2 tamiya 2000mah nicd batteries. I haven't used them for a few years and I cant quite tell if they're charging properly or not. I'm not to sure how long they should take to charge but have been on for about 6-9 hours each (after this time the charger still says they're not fully charged). However when I put 1 in my DUKW a warning will flash up on my transmitter every now and then to say the battery is nearly empty, but then show its full again. Does anyone know how long they should take to charge?

Cheers

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 08:25:34 pm »

Neat Tom. That is a lovely model and cannot wait to see it in action  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 09:22:40 pm »

Hi Tom with regards to  the batteries I may be a good idea to replace the Ni CADS with new N /Mh batteries. I have not forgotten the warning plates for the cab will get them off next week. The model is looking good take the plunge and fully detail the model. Charging time will depend on the output of your charger for example  your battery is 2000 milli amps  or 2 amps. If your charger charges at 0.5 amps or 500 milli amps charge time would be 4 hrs. So battery capacity divided by charger output will give charging time.

Stan.

tomc89

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 07:01:34 pm »

Sorry Stan they are NIMH, not NICAD. The charger is 2a and after 6+ hours a 2000mah battery it still says its not full. They're a few years old so I've purchased a new battery to be on the safe side.
Nearly finished the windows now which were very fiddly to make! just need a few more 'panes' and then attach it to the body.
I've made myself a pump and just need to get hold of a nice spade! i did buy one but its a bit too big even though its meant to be 1/10.

Trying to get it ready and water tight for this weekend when I'll have a test run!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 07:07:16 pm »

HI Tom In had to cast mine in white metal then shape using  a file a long job. Would you like some pictures od the spade?
Stan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.