Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transmitter and receiver for sheerline sub  (Read 2935 times)

terry1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Transmitter and receiver for sheerline sub
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:12:19 pm »

Hi chaps.new to subs. I have been told I need a 40ghz transmitter for the sub with 6 channels. I have looked on ebay but they are lower ghz. So what transmitter do I need and what is the best place to buy.I am in the land of sky high prices ie the uk. Thanks Michael

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Transmitter and receiver for sheerline sub
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:09:37 am »

I've a futaba sky sport 6 40mhz I'd sell, drop me a pm if interested

terry1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 07:56:25 am »

Thanks for offer.but I had a sky sport some time back and hated it. There must be better transmitters out there. Michael

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:06:09 am »

Hi chaps.new to subs. I have been told I need a 40ghz transmitter for the sub with 6 channels. I have looked on ebay but they are lower ghz. So what transmitter do I need and what is the best place to buy.I am in the land of sky high prices ie the uk. Thanks Michael
It might sound like being picky, but you don't want anything with "GHz" in the description.  40 or 27 MHz with enough channels is what you are looking for.  I suspect that new production is moving solidly to 2G4, so getting hold of lower frequency radio gear is going to be a case of accepting whatever the second hand market has to offer.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:23:43 am »

The Robbe Futaba F14 is available again as either the standard or twin throttle stick versions. This is 40mhz and can be customised with various add ons to suit your needs. It is not a sophisticated set in comparison to modern 2.4G sets, but I have one and it is ideal for the model it is assigned to.
There are no other FM sets currently in production, to the best of my knowledge, so as mentioned earlier, the second hand market may be your only route.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

terry1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:17:14 pm »

Thanks chaps.is the F14 6 channel out of the box.and I understand there are two types.one called navy. Is it worth the money or do I need to add very expensive mods on as well.Michael

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 01:17:17 pm »

It is four channel out of the box, but plumbed for eight internally. It comes with an 8 channel Futaba receiver, but no transmitter battery. It uses a 9.6v square pack, usually about £16 to £20. Loads of after market ones available cheaper than Futaba's own brand.
The Navy version has twin throttle sticks on one side and the classic configured sticks on the other side. While the standard set has two sets of standard twin axis sticks.
For what you need, the most you will want to add are two or three position switches and maybe one or two sliders. You wont need decoder modules for these, just plug servos or switchers into the associated upper channels, five through eight. Have a look on the Ripmax web pages for all these bits and pieces.......
or, you could dig up a series of articles by Glynn Guest from the early nineties, regarding modifying radios using odds and sods from the electronics store, pot, switches and resistors. The F14 is built for this sort of mod, probably not intentionally but hey! The channel expansion connections are standard three pin, servo type connectors inside the Tx, nice and easy. Photo attached of my modified set, still messing with resistors GG!

terry1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 02:23:36 pm »

Thanks for the input.just won a F14 navy on ebay.so as I am a real dummy with electronic things.how do I make this 4 channel transmitter into a 6 channel transmitter. What do I need and how does it wire in.thank.michael

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 05:10:15 pm »

Hi,

The F-14 Navy comes a basic 4 channel set, with an 8 channel rx supplied as you may know already.

2 vertical throttle sticks on the left and a conventional two way stick on the right of the tx.
The control board inside the tx case, has the ability to add individual switched functions or the multi switch and or multi prop modules.

As previously stated in the thread, it is as simple as buying the switch/linnear slider or expansion module you need, then plugging it into the correct connector on the board.

I have used all variations and models of these sets for years now. F-14, F-14 Navy, F-16, FC-18 and FC-28, they all work in an identical way.
Compared to the modern computer sets, they are basic, but very adaptable for multi functional models.

The only down side is the cost of the modules and their matching decoder units.

Read the manual to get a better understanding of the upgrade control options. Also there is a wealth of knowledge here on the mayhem site to help you!

Regards

Ian

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 05:50:02 pm »

As a matter of interest, what do you need the individual channels to do? Always a good place to start.

terry1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »

rudder, motors, planes, air pump, guns and a spare for later.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 03:21:50 am »

engel-modellbau carries a lot of the f-14 accessories, including the sliders and 2-position and 3-position switches, as well as multi-prop/switch encoders and decoders.  not all is in stock, but definitely worth the look to see what is available.

https://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/index.php?cPath=96_128&osCsid=j790jcf0snni18io1t2mhp0hj6

i also recommend wetronic.nl for any encoder/decoder needs

https://wetronic.nl/webshop/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.