Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with plans mix up  (Read 2870 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Fun with plans mix up
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:52:43 pm »

So, I order a plan from the Traplet shop. I want Glynn Guest's plan of HMS Penelope and order the one I see in the shop numbered MM2059. It is the only one shown and so despite not being attributed to anyone, it is logical that Glynn drew it.

It duly arrives and I get a funny feeling that it doesn't seem like one of his plans. Anyhow, there we go. A few days later, I am kindly sent some scans of the original March 1985 article the plan came with and things get a bit more fishy because the miniaturised copy of the plan (being part of the article for illustration purposes) has much more detail, and is more thoroughly drawn.

In the course of discussions with Glynn, I went back on the Traplet shop, Lo and behold, MM2059 is still HMS Penelope, but is now Glynn's version!!!!
The other version of HMS Penelope is also there but now numbered MM2050, which was a Diana Fairey Huntsman a fortnight ago  {:-{ .

I have requested a swap. Do you think this is a fair request? I want a plan and have not done anything to the Holmes plan, so it is pristine and good for stock.

I have no beef with Mr Holmes but his is not the one I want!!!

Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Fun with plans mix up
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:02:39 am »

Yep, get stuck in. They should be reasonable people.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:55 am »

Hi I am sure that any confusion there has been will be rectified.
 I had a similar problem with Graupner some years ago.  I ordered the plan number 2107 which was a very old plan for Gracia, a sailing yacht, as they said they had it available.  The plan that turned up was for a modern plastic speed boat with that plan number.
They returned my money as they had no knowledge of the yacht at all.
Then as in Sod's Law, 2 sets of plans came my way plus a hull in need of TLC.
regards Roy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:55:03 am »

Well, it must definitely be in the 'air' for plans mixup/orders mixup.   I ordered some fittings from Model Dockyard through the week - and yesterday the package arrived - I thought to myself - what an extremely large packet for the items I ordered -   I found inside a set of the plans (which I thought were a freebie :-)  ) for a Greek Bireme 440mm construction - when I checked my receipt, there is also a receipt for a gent in USA - so waiting for Model Dockyard to come back to me - so I can  return them.   So if anyone on our forum is waiting for these plans - hopefully your plans will arrive in the near future :-) .

I am not paying for the postage return and on to USA. :-)
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:07:51 am »

Well, I'll go to China.   (Not really TT)   :}

John.  I am at present surveying the options of a BIREME as I want to make an auto rowing mechanism type of ship and have been doing my usual deep survey into drawings from the web.

Please tell me more about the  'said plans'

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:17:23 am »

Undeniably something in the air..I ordered spare batteries for a Volantex speed boat earlier this week, 1400mAh LiOns with Dean Plugs..what turned up were 1800mAh NiMhs. Turns out the model has been upgraded while the part numbers have not.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 10:37:50 am »

It was an error in their listings that caused you to order the wrong plan so they should be willing to send you the correct one.

If not, PM me your address and I will send you my copy of the plan.

There have been errors in the plans listings ever since they were put on line. Efforts have been made to correct these, particularly by Glynn, and also myself but there are hundreds of plans and sometimes the correction requires in depth knowledge of articles and designs published may years ago. The people who run the plans service today simply would not recognise many of these errors unless they are brought to their attention.

Colin

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 10:15:13 pm »

I had the same trouble with MMI. Ordered a set of plans for a beam trawler, looked lovely in the photo in the mag. The plans that came were no way the same boat. Got on to Chris Jackson(bless him) and said something on the lines of misrepresentation and low and behold the advert was pulled, nemesis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 10:58:31 pm »

Interesting news chaps. Bob K mentioned receiving 100% extra tubing free from a company, so mix ups often happen.

Colin, Thanks for that, I have contacted Craig at Traplet and will await a response and developments from Monday. If things go squiffy I will take you up on your offer and will get the plan copied and return the original to you, as I wish your archives to be retained in as good condition as possible.

A big concern originally was that someone was going through the plans and simplifying them to the detriment of their value and our enjoyment.
Pond weed is your enemy

JSB

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 02:46:12 pm »

Hi Roy,
Do you still have the plans, and if so would you be able to part with a set?
I would, of course buy them from you and cover postage costs.

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 04:06:20 pm »

Hello John, following on my earlier post I asked Graupner if they would like a copy of their own plans they said Yes.  I then did something foolish and sent the second set off to them.
They never acknowledged receiving them and Graupner went out of business a while later.  Let me have a think.
kind regards
 Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.