Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starlet By Vic Smeed  (Read 11928 times)

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Starlet By Vic Smeed
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:55 pm »

At one time we had a small fleet of Panache yachts, another free plan, and we used to compete with those.  I still have one, needs a bit of TLC at the moment.

Mosfets

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 05:59:34 pm »

Hi Mr Zippy

Thanks for all the pointers and information you have given, the Starlet kit does not come with a plan and includes only the shaped pieces of laser cut wood. The Star baby kit does come with a plan but at £96.00.

Being as I enjoy the build process I have ordered a Star Baby plan (as that may suit my transportation better) and apart from a sail winch/servo and sail material I think I have the materials needed already in my possession.

It will not be a quick build as I tend to be a slow builder and no doubt will need further help from the forum when I eventually get started.

Regards

Adrian

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2018, 09:54:52 am »

Sorry but just noticed that on reply#25, my photo of my Panache came out OK but the verbal comments didn't. Not to worry , not overly important!

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »

Hi all
excuse me for jumping on this thread, fancy building a yacht, never done one before and Starlet seems a good place to start, using the Belair kit as a base, though to add a bit of complication, Tony's gaff rig looks  a bit different and something I would like to emulate, or is this too ambitious for a first build, am I barking up the right tree here or just barking mad.

Carl

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 09:40:04 pm »

Hi I have converted a sailing boat from bermuda to gaff.  Things you need to know.
Centre of lateral resistace of the hull.
How to calculate the area of a sail'
How to calculate the centre (by area) of each sail.
How to bring the different centres together as one.
Where to put the sails on the hull and by inference where the mast goes.
A simple rule of thumb is the c of a should be 4 % ahead of the c l r  measured at the waterline.

There is a bit of backward thinking.  If you have a known working bermuda rig set of sails then work out the centre of area and this point should be the place where a new set of sails have their c o a.
it is all simple stuff if you can do very basic maths and remember basic geometry construction then you can do it.  Lots of paper and long rulers.

I have a personal rule of thumb for model yachts, not competitive, that if you weigh the keel lead multiply this by the distance to the waterline, I use pounds and inches.  Remember this number.

A 20 mph wind will give 1 pound pressure on 144 square inches of sail.  Treating 1 square foot of sail as equal to 1 pound and multiply this by the distance the c o a is above the waterline.  This number should equal the other one.

You may well find that the area of a bermuda set of sails is not sufficient to create a gaff rig suite of sails then increase it til it looks right using the above calculation.
Remember the c o e of the gaff sails will be lower so there is less heeling moment.

If you can do all these things then sails are at your disposal to use as you will.
Good luck,
Roy

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 07:07:37 pm »

Hi Roy

appreciate the effort you have put into your reply, but that information is way above my head, but learning and working out this kind of information is what is attracting me to sail, and of course learning to sail.

Carl

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 07:18:41 pm »

Hi the thing is it sn't above your head!  area of a triangle = half the base times the height.  All sails breakdown into triangles.  You join two centres of triangles with a line and use proportion of areas to see where the centre point is.  You can also do this with card from the cornflakes packet, cut the shape out and balance it on a point and that is the c of e.

You get the centre of lateral resistance of a hull by pushing it sideways with your finger until it does not go one way or the other.
You just do it in order and it all comes out!
Follow it and see. But it may take a little time.
Good luck and have a go
Roy

palehorse

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 07:10:52 pm »

Hi Dave,

I built my Starbaby (the smaller 28'' version of Starlet) with help from info in a borrowed copy of the below
Marine Modelling Plans & construction special - Starbaby build article.

I started builidng a Starbaby based on the plans and instructions from the "Plan & Constructions special" from Marine Modelling, but the build stopped a few years ago.  Now I've started up again, but I can't find the magazine with the instructions. 

I guess I would manage to build it based on the plans only, but I would absolutly make less mistakes with the instructions.  But if someone has a copy of this magazine, is it possible to take a photo or scan of the instructions and send them to me?  I would be very grateful!
The magazine with instructions (and plans) is the one that is pictured in reply 5 in this thread.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2021, 09:18:41 am »

Hi Palehorse,
Unfortunately this is one magazine I don't have amongst my collection ! - I borrowed and returned it after building my model.
I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have and with luck a fellow Mayhemmer will post scans etc.

Here is a link to a build thread with lots of detailed photo's that may help -

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/22260-starlet-by-peter-cane-a-34-loa-sailing-yacht-designed-by-the-late-vic-smeed/

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2021, 09:34:36 am »

Not sure if this helps but Starbaby is a smaller version of Starlet.
Roy

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2021, 10:15:53 am »

When I bought the Star Baby plans from Sarik about three years ago, I got a phone call from them asking if I wanted the build article as well, for a small extra fee.   I agreed and received a colour photocopy of it when the plan arrived.  I must still have it somwhere, even though I never actually built the boat.  I do have the build instructions for Starlet as a .pdf file via a helpful modeller in Canada a few years ago.   I also bought a Starlet a couple of months ago locally that had been built as an ornament for someones lounge and am fitting it out to sail.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2021, 10:24:24 am »

Hi Spearfish.  A small beware here!  Have you put the hull into the water yet? 

When a model is built as an ornament there is rarely enough glue used to suit a sailing model.  Also check the deck to sides joints as well.  Either way I would double check and possibly put balsa stringers along each joint to carry the glue and re-glue it. 

Another thing, the places where the mast is held up by the rigging are they strong enough?
I bought a model fishing boat kit finished as an ornament and she leaked like a sieve!  All sorted now.
Good luck
Roy

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2021, 06:58:20 pm »

I started builidng a Starbaby based on the plans and instructions from the "Plan & Constructions special" from Marine Modelling, but the build stopped a few years ago.  Now I've started up again, but I can't find the magazine with the instructions. 
But if someone has a copy of this magazine, is it possible to take a photo or scan of the instructions and send them to me?  I would be very grateful!
The magazine with instructions (and plans) is the one that is pictured in reply 5 in this thread.

PM  sent.

palehorse

• Shipmate
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2021, 08:42:04 pm »

I got a copy of the article on e-mail now, so this was solved quickly  O0

I try to add a picture of how i got so far, and i will try to make a build log here so you can see the progress.  That is a good way to pay back for the help i got now.  Neither the boat or the build log will get the quality of the one mrzippy linked to, but i'm sure it will bring some joy anyway.

thank you, guys!

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2021, 02:31:31 pm »

Just reading through posts I missed while doing other things - in the last picture, is that a Fender Bassman 100 head?
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.