Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A Greek BIREME  (Read 35807 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: A Greek BIREME
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2017, 10:26:58 am »

This has got to be one of the most fascinating threads ever.  The challenges you have set yourself seem daunting.  However I have no doubt you will succeed.

May I suggest, that the two lower tiers of rowers, which are largely hidden by the overhanging top tier, could have legs omitted and merely pivot from the waist.  Their legs did go through to underneath anyway.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2017, 10:28:07 am »

The real life oars were beasts so they fitted hand rails to them which were more ergonomic. This might help you anyway on providing a natural pivot point between 'Oarville' and his mate's hands and the oars.

Sorry, that last pun was a load of Rollocks  %)

The big metal staple was also useful for chaining the slaves to.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:20 am »

The big metal staple was also useful for chaining the slaves to.

Perfect.       8)

Thank you for the idea.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2017, 10:19:01 am »

I'm still here, quietly working away.  The ideas are coming thick and fast.   %%

I have typed in a long description below and hit the ESCAPE key whilst typing and the whole letter disappeared.

I'm sorry but does anyone know what button to press to get it back.  (if indeed it can ever be done )   >:-o

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2017, 10:29:52 am »

Almost certainly lost forever Ken, it's happened to all of us. If you have a long post to make then compose it in a word processor and then copy and paste it into the Mayhem posting box.

If you don't want to bother with that for medium long posts then at intervals highlight all your text in the posting box and press the CTRL and C keys together. This will temporarily save it to the computer. (each time you do it the previous save is overwritten) If you need to get it back (such as when the upload fails for some reason) then just position the cursor in the posting box as if you were going to start typing and press CTRL and V and your saved text will reappear.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2017, 04:31:31 pm »

Thanks Colin.  Will remember next time.   :-))

Today I've sanded down the filler and started with the Red oxide.  8)   Meanwhile I've started on the dreaded mechanism  (hold on to your seats !!)

A new idea is being tried and I'll show you when the 'parts' arrive.

ken

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2017, 07:39:26 pm »

It may not work having pressed the ESCAPE key, but you can retrieve text etc by typing Ctrl z     .

Looking forward to more images Ken  O0
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:43 pm »

Here is the updated hull.  She is sprayed with Oxide and looking quite smooth.  I have added the side pillars which differ from the first way it was done.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2017, 09:26:45 pm »

Looking good Ken.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2017, 10:30:44 am »

Thanks Ian.   Not much to show today.  I'm  (not so ) quietly working on the rowing mechanism and now on version three ?  I had a feeling it might not be so easy.. %)  and I do so want to get it right.  It's all great fun drilling over three hundred holes so far  (don't ask !)

Hope to have some piccies tonight.

ken

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2017, 05:56:02 pm »

Good oh. I will look out for them.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: September 19, 2017, 10:33:10 am »

I have re-sprayed the hull with the new side panels fitted and it's looking a bit better.

I have also made the brass battering ram to go on the front.    :D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: September 19, 2017, 10:41:03 am »

Now it was onwards to the dreaded oar mechanism.  This is the 4th version ??  yes, I know, it does seem to go on and on but I have settled on this final version.

The drive bars are rigid and contain the moving pivots for the individual oars. They are secured with Nyloc nuts to allow them to pivot without loosening the threads.  I have opted for the centre of the bar to drive the middle row of oars. Making all the holes line up was a mammoth job as I wish I had made the mechanism first and then drilled the holes in the hull after. ?  They are not exactly spaced equidistant but look close enough, viewed from afar.   %)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2017, 08:30:33 pm »

Holy goat, you will be building automata and pianolas soon with all this expertise you are gaining.

It looks all neat and mechanical Ken  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2017, 08:56:58 am »

This should be child's play compared with servicing a Hammond Organ
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2017, 10:08:03 am »

What a memory.   %)  There's a blast from the past. You haven't lived until you take them one of them apart.    {-)

Cheers Ian.  You can see why my thread has slowed down now.    tehe.

Yesterday was spent deep in thought about fitting these mechanisms to the wooden sides ??  Quite a problem so I diverted to a bit of fun.

I had some canvas so tried to make the sail by painting my design on it.  How did I know the runny paint would live up to it's name.   %%

It's a great illusion, but me thinks another version will have to be made because it came out all wrong.  There's no one alive that has seen the original sails so , it's all guesswork.  Any revision ideas folks. ?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2017, 12:40:48 pm »

You used to able to get special stuff for putting pictures on Tee shirts.  You could print it from the computer and iron it onto the sail fabric!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2017, 08:30:58 pm »

The fourth version of the drive mechanism has been abandoned and  the final ?  fifth version has been constructed.

It was found that the metal rotating version had too many problems.  The main problem being keeping them in a vertical position to actually paddle without stopping them rotating around their axis.

I have now discontinued the idea of a Trireme as it was proving to be rather heavy and cumbersome for such a small craft, so will stick with the Bireme design. ( There's a month's work gone)  :}

Here's how she looks with her new drive system and only 60 oars.

I have made a Punch with the correct oar fitting slots in it and punched out some 2mm plastic sheet.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2017, 10:47:17 am »

I've been slow recently as the cough has developed into a Two week major YUK.  My wife even has a cough now and it appears to be  'going around' , according to the Doctor.  Anyone else suffering with it ?. It really is quite debilitating and sounds horrible to any listeners. !!

Correspondingly, the model making has slowed down but I can report that I have connected up two motors and can watch the oars going for'd and aft in a most amusing way.

They are driven by my variable voltage generator  (tools from my past) and the speed can be highly controlled from idling to the Captain going surfing. It really is an amazing piece of artwork and as fascinating as I'd hope it would be.

At the moment they only go on a horizontal plane as the vertical plane actions have yet to be built. I shall have to make a movie just to show this action alone once I stop the oars falling out of their holders.   {-)

Thank you for the ten thousand views of this thread, so far.  I'm feeling very humble.

ken

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:49 pm »

This is an interesting project ken, so well worth the thousands of views.

My two main customers have both had it but I seem to have avoided it somehow. I must have had the virus before now and am immune. Pneumonia seems to be more prevalent this year as well  {:-{
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2017, 10:19:32 pm »

Had it three times this year, really gets you down.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2017, 10:26:04 pm »

Do you think it was a series of relapses or different virusses? If the former, then I hope you are getting your vitmins, but if the latter, then that is crap luck. One of my clients has two children under three so they pick up the sniffles that adults get where they turn into nasty flus etc.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2017, 10:38:54 pm »

Don't know really. Starts off as a cold and then goes on your chest with a cough that takes 4-5 weeks to clear. Lots of people I know have had it. You would think that having had it once you might be immune for a bit but no.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2017, 10:23:01 am »

That's the one Colin. It goes for a day or two then returns savagely.  The doctor put me on anti-biotics for a week but they are all gone now.  I think I am recovering as it doesn't seem so bad.

I must be getting better as I had a go on the  'project'  yesterday and did a little light work. 

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2017, 08:24:09 pm »

I have now made another version of the pushers, but from aluminium this time.  The previous ones (in plastic) were bending a bit under the strain.

The difficult part was cutting out the square holes for the oars which took 2 days.  Here they are in their new setting.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.