Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Langley CV-1  (Read 19134 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Langley CV-1
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 06:22:06 pm »

We do it sometimes at work. but usually it's simpler things than these.  Professional casting has a fairly high reject rate air bubble and voids are quite common especially where the mould sections are thin.  They tend to bin the really bad ones and offer the not so bad as seconds.  The main difficulty is the speed at which the resin sets.  That tan coloured polyurethane is pretty standard an in a warm room can set as quickly as 10 -15 minutes but is only a liquid for a about 4 -5 minutes.  That really isn't long enough to use a vacuum chamber to get air bubbles out.  What companies do is squeeze the moulds from the ends so it opens like an envelope and pour the resin in, allowing the mould to close up squeezes out air bubbles but does leave a lot of "flash"  The home modelmaker, who can spend more time on a project might choose to use a slower setting resin which gives the time to chase any bubbles out before the resin sets.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 06:38:27 pm »

Wow, thank you very much for that information.
Best,
Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »

My colleague uses the reject small castings to bulk out larger castings so saving wasted material. Your hull looks splendid Dennis, that will save loads of cleaning and tidying up.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:00 pm »

Dots of madness.  I haven't tried a touch of paint, but rather torture myself by placing one decal on top of another..... :((  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:31 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 08:56:55 am »

Pace yourself and all your spots will be in the right place. I think we are all the same from time to time, we do a few then get blase and then 'Fluff' up the next one. That wing looks great Dennis. Imagine having to paint the stars like in pre decal days!
Pond weed is your enemy

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 01:25:04 pm »

I like the 1/700 scale, I've done a few, in particular two Tribal class destroyers from Trumpeter and the White Ensign Models PE upgrade set, very much a tweezer and magnifying glass jobas they measure just 6".

Some advice - don't drink coffee or any caffeinated drink whilst working on the tiny parts your hands will shake too much!

This scale lends itself for building the ship onto a seascape, the ship really comes alive when you see it in its natural environment.

Good luck with the build I'll watch with interest. My next 1/700 model is the British Dido Class cruiser HMS Naiad from Flyhawk complete with the upgrade sets, the detail is amazing.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »

Tks for the encouragement gentlemen.  I much prefer the scale of 1/200 or thereabouts.  I'm simply running out of room with models that push the 4ft range.  So, I'm trying this scale to reduce the footprint.  I don't know about 1/700.  I suppose I will have to try one someday.  Yes, a waterline model is on my list as well.  Now, back to this squadren of tiny ducks.  Cheers,  Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 02:54:31 pm »

Let's not forget there are intermediate scales. Being British I was heavily influenced by Airfix ships to 1/600th scale.  Add photo etch to some of those models and they can look super.  Here's my HMS Amazon by Airfix with White Ensign PE.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 04:39:55 pm »

Beautiful work and amazing, that kind of detail. Did you say 6" in length?  Wonderful and tks for sharing.  D.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »

This 1/700 USS Theodore Roosevelt model has always blown me away.

http://www.steelnavy.net/TrumpTRoosevelt700KKatseas.html

The detail is amazing.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 07:23:53 pm »

That is as real as it gets... my mouth is still open  :} .  I served aboard the U.S.S. Ranger CV-61 back in 1969 (sadly, she is scrap now), so I know the drill aboard the bird farms.... pretty exciting.  Guess part of that is what is drving me to build these aircraft carrier models.  So many, so little time.... <:(  D.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2017, 08:34:28 pm »

Beautiful work and amazing, that kind of detail. Did you say 6" in length?  Wonderful and tks for sharing.  D.

It's about 7.5 inches. One of Airfix's better offerings.  although there several things wrong with original kit as they based it on the Type 21 prototype but it's a nice model. 

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 08:37:59 pm »

That is as real as it gets... my mouth is still open  :} .  I served aboard the U.S.S. Ranger CV-61 back in 1969 (sadly, she is scrap now), so I know the drill aboard the bird farms.... pretty exciting.  Guess part of that is what is drving me to build these aircraft carrier models.  So many, so little time.... <:(  D.

Respect Sir! 13 battle stars in S.E,Asia and deployed in the Persian Gulf. She certainly saw her share of the "sticky" end.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 10:33:16 pm »

Yes sir, it was an honor.  I picked her up at Alameda Naval Shipyard in 69, after having just served a year in Vietnam CSC, Qui Nhon, PCF's Coastal.  Ranger went into the yard at Hunters Point and then Naval OPS off the coast of Calif. I discharged from the Navy from the Ranger just before she headed back to the Nam.  It was sad as she sat here at Bremerton Naval Shipyard waiting for the scrapyard.  An effort was made to save her as a musem, but too costly.  They towed her just a few years ago around the Horn to Texas for breakup... so sad... oh the memories.  I want to model her and I think I can build the Yorktown kit and rebadge her maybe....the York was close to same I think.  Forrestal Class.   Dennis RM2

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 07:25:56 pm »

Squad of OU2's completed.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 07:26:49 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2017, 10:53:08 pm »

They're breeding Dennis! They look good now, but they will look brill on the deck  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2017, 07:37:07 pm »

They look the business, Dennis.  Well done!

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 08:32:41 pm »

Tks, its like breeding knats..... I've got 20 or so more to do.  This next batch has even more detail, its unbelievable.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 03:47:11 am »

This next group of aircraft require different wing supports and landing gear supports.  Another challenge to say the least... its gonna take me another week to get them out, then their is another group to build.  Total will be around 30 aircraft.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 03:47:36 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2017, 04:42:33 am »

Still working on attaching landing gear on second squadren of my little "nats".... It looks like the scale to fit the hanger deck looks right. When the Langley was converted from a coal collier, the storage covers were left, iron supports were placed along the inside and across every so many feet to create support structure of the flight deck.  Aircraft were disassembled and stored below in the coal compartments, using a moving crane to lift and lower and raise parts fore and aft in the hanger bay.  One elevator was about midships to raise and lower assembled aircraft to and from flight deck.  It surprized me that in the early stages, the wings did not fold back.  The entire aircraft was lowered to the hanger deck and either stored assembled or taken apart and lowered into the storage bins below.  I have not been able to determine if walkways were placed over the storage covers.  Only thing I have to go by is pictures on the net.  Unless one of you folks knows for sure what they did.  Its going to be interesting to say the least once this support grid work begins on the model... all of it will be photo-etch parts.  Oh the joy! %)  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2017, 04:43:00 am »

more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.