Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rangefinders on the bridge  (Read 1988 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Rangefinders on the bridge
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »

Good evening.

In building HMS Ready, I have found a few anomalies in the plans I was sent. Upon further investigation, one item is a small range finder mounted Starboard of the centre of the bridge. In the Dreadnought project, they mention a Barr and Stroud rangefinder mounted on the bridge, and suggest it is used for station keeping. This makes sense, as it does not have much of an arc for controlling the guns.

Anyhow, to the question: Would this be fixed to one point on the Bridge's deck, or would the ragefinder and it's pillar have another mounting point elsewhere on the Bridge? The bridge is quite cramped and the other side has the Map table, so making it even more cramped on the front port side.

The linked article mentions an FQ2 rangefinder having a movable stand, but the rangefiner is much larger, so maybe the small one can as well?

I will probably build it and stick it where it is shown but it would be good to stick a ring or disc somewhere else on the deck and be accurate.

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Barr_and_Stroud_Rangefinders
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rangefinders on the bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:48:14 pm »

Ian....the images from the ...http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Barr_and_Stroud_Rangefinders .... link ...takes a little reading & viewing to form an understanding

The first image appears to be little more than a telescope on a stick....or the "FT17+MB4 Mounting", whereas the lower sketch confirm the complex 'adjustments' functions required to gauge an accurate range and none appear to have any floating gymball suspension

Reading the instruction plate for the FT17+MB4 mounting suggests that the use of this instrument required 2 Officers to simultaneously aim and align to establish a reading [distance].......this is also suggested in the first images  :o where 2 Officers are standing by the instrument...so literally to take near instant snapshots O0 ...irrespective or any subsequent pitch or roll.....

Without knowing what your Plans indicate, suggest it would be fair to assume that one each of these FT17 Range Finders on MB4 mountings were installed on both bridge wings

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 02:23:32 pm »

Hi Ian,

The Handbook of Gunnery, although from the mid '30s, mentions using the average of the rangefinders for ranging. Since rangefinders were relatively new is it possible the extra bridge ones were added to improve general accuracy as well as the possible use for station keeping and so gymbal mounts etc. would be almost an afterthought.
In WW2 the use of rangefinders on the pom-pom directors was dispensed with anyway to reduce the gun crew.

Good Luck

Tony

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 04:09:18 pm »

There is only one rangefinder shown in the drawings, so maybe two mounts were fitted but only one rangefinder was supplied. As you say, they were quite new, so with a major expansion of warships, maybe it was a case of have one now and we will supply more as we get them.

It will add some interesting detail and if the references show more, I will add them in due course as it isn't an immense problem drilling a few holes for the mounts. Thanks for your efforts and logic so far  :-))

Pond weed is your enemy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 07:44:05 pm »

Not much help to you I know, but RMAS Newton when built was issued with two on fixed mountings, when she went into her first refit. The makers of the range findrs said yes they could refurbish them as they thought they could still get their man back who retired three years ago, turned out they were original ones of Glorious and Furious when they were built as B.C's. Needless to say they were binned as radar was used instead. But on the St Margaret's we had a smaller one slung on leather straps around your neck, when we used them we had to have someone on the compass bearing plate and one on the range finder to get range and bearing, more accurate than a radar set.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:03:39 pm »

I am going to make two and fit them as there is a consensus forming between my learned colleagues. How about that Optics from two of the Large-Light Cruisers, that is a bit of history in it's self to add to that of RMAS Newton.

Pond weed is your enemy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 09:27:07 pm »

It is surprising with what used to be kept in naval stores. Newton had one on each side, when we were laying shore ends, that is the cable run from deep to the shore and the cable runs from noise units in, the position was plotted at least every 10 minutes so as to get a accurate position of the cable runs. Remember years ago talking to a P.S.T.O.n lorry driver in Devonport (about 1982) and he mentioned having to go to Lanngennie (forgive the bad spelling, the store is now long gone) with a load and was told to take it to the back of a unit and saw a large wooden packing case marked H.M.S. Hood. It is said the window frames for the Sal class were ex Leander class. In Portsmouth if certain size shackles were demanded they were always retested because some had been in store since the 1930's.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:02:52 pm »

I recall reading in the commemorative 'Newspaper' published at the time Warrior was opened to the public, of how much of her exhibits were found in Naval stores around the country. I dare not open the paper now as it is a bit fragile being 30 years old about now!

I love the idea about what might be tucked away in military stores arounf the world.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.