The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

SL Branksome - HELP!

(1/7) > >>

Oliver_Gerrard:
Hello,

Apologies if this post in is the wrong section!

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, my name is Oliver Gerrard and I am making this post on behalf of my computer illiterate parents.

We have in our possession, a replica of the SL Branksome, the original of which I am sure you know resides on Lake Windermere.

The model was built by both my late grandad and late uncle, the former was a ships artificer in the Royal Navy and the latter was a Project Engineer on the Euro Fighter Typhoon. Both of these men were exceptionally skilled engineers in their respective fields. Sadly those skills were never passed on the rest of the family.

We are seeking a person, persons or society who can help us or be paid by us to complete this model and get her fit to sail as we do not have the acumen to do this ourselves - known issues with the model are the burner arrangement, regulator and the ships electrics plus whatever else you may uncover along the way though it is our understanding that there are not too many hurdles in the way of completion. The boiler has been pressure tested and we have the certificate to prove this, the engine has only run on compressed air though.

We strongly believe that the craftsmanship and hours already put into this model make her of museum quality and we have already approached the Steamboat Museum in Windermere to take her, sadly they have declined our offer and so we are also looking for somewhere we can house her on a loan basis too if anyone can help with that.

I welcome any of your thoughts and ideas and will try my hardest to reply to you all,

Regards

Oliver

chas:
Wow. That is an exceptionally good piece of work.
 You could approach the Rochdale model engineering society, they are very well respected, and not far from Bolton, and like most modelers really nice people.
http://www.rsmee.com
The above web link is OK, watch out for a similar one that has been hacked.
Chas

tony52:
The Bolton Steam Museum could be worth contacting. The museum mainly displays the mill engines from the past, but they do have other small exhibits and a team of skilled steam engineers.

https://www.nmes.org/

BFSMP:

--- Quote from: Oliver_Gerrard on July 05, 2017, 05:54:38 pm ---Hello,
We strongly believe that the craftsmanship and hours already put into this model make her of museum quality and we have already approached the Steamboat Museum in Windermere to take her, sadly they have declined our offer and so we are also looking for somewhere we can house her on a loan basis too if anyone can help with that.
Oliver

--- End quote ---
unfortunately the Windermere steam boat museum are having their own problems at present and have been for some time. It is also a sad case that most of these small museums don't have the staff to look after the large as life exhibits let alone models, as beautiful as yours is. in fact I think from memory they had a model of Branksome in the museum which was the original model built by a magnificent modeller called Keith Townsend if memory serves me. He then released a limited number of replica numbered kits of the same model. View here.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23271/lot/22/?category=list   

and that at 20 - 30 k was only number 07 of his limited number of kits. think what the museum has to insure his original for.

also NOW ADAYS,  in our "sue anyone mentality", small museums are somewhat loathed to take models on "long term loan" because of insurance pay-outs and law suits should someone's beloved  model be damaged or stolen from the museum. I know that Fleetwood museum, which is now run by a rust, is desperately short in funds, and don't take donations with great heart, and if they do, the models which take up space which sadly few give more than glancing looks these days, put them straight into storage in the damp cellars.

To be honest, working or not, it would be better sat on a nice sideboard, not near radiators in your own house just for you to look at with joy and nostalgia.

Jim.

just as an afterthought and having looked at the engines on both your model and the model at Bonhams, are you not sure that this model you own might be one of the limited number of kits Supplied by Keith Townsend..... those kits sold in the 1980's for [ at the time] an astronomical £2500.00 +  VAT

Oliver_Gerrard:
Hello!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to look at this posting and offering me suggestions of where to go with her completion!

I have made contact with the Bolton Steam Museum and we are in the process of arranging for some of their senior engineers to have a look at the engine and see what needs to be done with it. Sadly we are unable to locate the pressure test certificate for the boiler so we are looking at completing that process again.

The Rochdale model engineers have been contacted but I am still await a reply from them.

In reply to "BFSMP" but also for everyone else:

I have spoken to my father who has managed to find the original plans for this model, he says that the plans say on them:  "Windermere nautical trust limited 1978 production of one model per person, Windermere steamboat museum full size drawings" and it is with these drawing that the boat was made.

We are still desperately seeking a model boat builder who may be able to take a look at her and offer us some advice on completing her, so if you are that person or you know of that person please rely to this posting with your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you very much for your time and effort so far!

More updates to follow...

Oliver

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version