Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Spain  (Read 1939 times)

Surveyor

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello from Spain
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:30:07 pm »

Lots of interest here.... is no one building model boats any more?!?!  ok2

The above quote from Martin has spurred me to introduce myself so here goes!

I am a retired Master Boatbuilder and Senior YDSA Surveyor now living in Andalucia. Having sold my last vessel some 2 years ago ( 25Ton TSMY) I miss the sea and the boating life in general so I decided to build a model of a typical 1950's to 1960's Dutch coaster, the sort of vessel that I used to see when I was a boy, and came very close to buying on 2 separate occasions.

However, my hands are now too shaky to build something small (around 4 feet) so I thought I would build a larger model of about 16 feet that would carry 2 people, but that brought me into conflict with my Wife over the cost of the power plant! and I could foresee problems with the nearby Port Authorities if I wanted to launch in their commercial harbour, so I have decided to build a full size vessel in my computer with the final goal of fitting her out inside and being able to walk through the vessel in 3D.

I have a suitable computer and I am not unfamiliar with CAD programs so when my new Graphics card arrives later today, I hope to start creating my Coaster in DelftShip.

So you see Martin, people are still building models, but not neccessarily in the time honoured way ;)

At my age (and given my now restricted physical ability) the possibility of building a full size ship (albeit within my computer) is a very exciting prospect and I would not be surprised to see this possibility appeal to others.

I am only using DelftShip Free at the present time and only time will tell if I will need the full program (the hull must be properly faired in) but if it is good enough :-)) I will start a build thread and post pictures.

I would add that the models that you fellows build are an immense inspiration, such quality and dedication.

Marvellous site,  Thanks.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from Spain
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:45:14 pm »

Welcome aboard. Yours in a very interesting concept. I look forward to seeing it. I also now live in Andalucia, near to Velez Malaga. My problem was nowhere to put my normal sized models, so I turned to miniatures of less than about 3".

Surveyor

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:09:08 am »

Hola Footski

Thanks for the welcome, pity it is such a long drive to Velez Malaga but ocassionally we do drive down to see friends in Benahavis and if we do so again I will email you as I would love to see these miniatures.
On my desk there is a miniature square rigger (in a bottle) that Mother gave me about 60 years ago. HHMMmm! Cannot send a photo as my camera has broken and I forgot to replace it. :-))

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:37:05 pm »

You will be more than welcome.
This is the link tom a short thread on one of mine.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56737.msg592761.html#msg592761

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:06:14 pm »

Welcome Surveyor. Your plans are interesting and show how broad our hobby can be in this modern age.

While there is nothing as beautiful and inspiring as a model built of timber in such a competent and skilled manner, seeing what people are designing with 3D programs is also edifying.

Like I always say, it is your hobby Surveyor and only you have the right to decide how to execute it. Do put up some images of your progress and remember, many model boaters are assisted by their feline accomplices who check for straightness of keel and comfort of workbench, so you may need to design a virtual cat assistant!
Pond weed is your enemy

Surveyor

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:07:12 pm »

Hello Ballastanksian

Thanks for the welcome from me and my 2 (real) cats
I love timber vessels of any size and have always worked with wood, my largest model ok2 being a near half size replica of one of my Great grandfathers fleet of sailing trawlers (look up 'Fisher' in Edgar March's Sailing Trawlers).

She was 46ft on deck, 65ft O/all and 25 Tons, built of oak on oak and I cut 25 oaks myself so as to have the grain run fair in all the compass timber. She was all varnished on the inside and I sailed her for 20 years before selling her.

The other photo is a 20ft teak on oak cutter I built years ago, but now it is easier for me to build in my computer! just waiting for a new Graphics card to arrive so I can use DelftShip to start the build.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:10:35 pm »

That interior woodwork is stunningly beautiful.  A work of art   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Surveyor

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:27:46 pm »

Thanks BobK

You like timber, here is a photo, must be 40 years old, of Father and myself dubbing off the frames on the Bertha Fisher, heavy work but I was fit in those days.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:50:28 am »

A beautiful vessel....... :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.