Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 x 6v batteries  (Read 2288 times)

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
2 x 6v batteries
« on: July 13, 2017, 05:40:02 pm »

Good evening, please help if you can as my grand daughter thinks I can fix anything. This is not a boat related question, but is a radio control, my grand daughter has a sit and ride car that mum can control with the radio, it is powered by 2 x 6v batteries, I think they are in tandem as the digital readout on the dash says 9.7v the batteries are flat as it wont move with my grand daughter in it and they have lost the charger for it, my question is would I need a 6 or 12 volt charger to recharge it?

Cornishman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 2 x 6v batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 05:47:46 pm »

Best to charge 2 x 6 volt batteries individually.  Therefore 6v charger.

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:04:17 pm »

That isn't an option as the batteries are under the seat which screwed down also the charging plugin point is behind the petrol cap, the original charger plugged into a wall socket much like a phone charger and plugged into the car to charge it

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »

The batteries in the car could be wired to charge at 6 volts or 12 depending on how they have been installed, though 12 is much more likely. To check connect a volt meter to the charging socket, if that also reads 9.7 you will need a 12 volt charger.
  There are some other ifs, buts and maybes so if you can get a replacement original charger that would be safest.
Chas

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »

If you are reading 9.7 volts, the two must be wired in series to effectively give a 12 volt battery (you can't get much more than 6 volts from a 6 volt battery, or any number of them wired in parallel), which will need o be charged with a 12 volt charger.  Hopefully they will not have passed the point of no return.  It would be a remarkable wiring job to require a 6 volt charger, and most unlikely considering how much it would cost to do so.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:21:54 pm »

many thanks to you all, I have a 12v charger that fits so I will give it a try, but have told my daughter to have a good look for the original before I do, you know what kids are like if it don't jump out and hit them at the back of the head they cant find it, I was quite surprised to find 2 x 6v batteries I expected to find a 12v, it is a smart little car though, you can plug an mp3 into it, it has flashing lights, engine sounds and to top it all you can have either remote controlled where mum does the speed and steering or pedal mode where the driver does it all

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:25:55 pm »

It sounds a nice bit of kit..  I'd love to see a picture if you can, as I have a 5 year old grandson.    O0

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.