Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > DC Motors (Brushed) and Speed Controllers

Non-working motor query

(1/4) > >>

joppyuk1:
I've just been given a very grotty motor, obviously removed from a model as it is on a wooden mount, which doesn't operate. The leads are soldered on but there's no joy when I attach batteries. On the back of the motor it has the wording "SME - ITALY - FC-170". Would it be worth my trying to fix it, or stripping it down to find a defect?
Thanks in advance.

malcolmfrary:
Probably not - unless it has screws holding it together, it will be difficult to reassemble it after you have found the problem.  Tags don't always want to bend twice and getting the rotating bit back in without mangling the brushes can be difficult. 
If there is an access hole near the brushes, it might be worth a squirt of contact cleaner, but if the problem is more than a bit of muck on the commutator, it will make more sense to just buy a new motor.  Unless it had some remarkable features which would require something exotic to replace, stock motors are cheap enough.

TailUK:
That sound like a dynamo not a motor.  I used to have one with those markings that came with a Meccano set. Has it got a blue plastic casing?

malcolmfrary:

--- Quote from: TailUK on July 14, 2017, 02:35:44 pm ---That sound like a dynamo not a motor.  I used to have one with those markings that came with a Meccano set. Has it got a blue plastic casing?

--- End quote ---
A quick google for SME - ITALY - FC-170 turned up a link that implied it could be a generator used with a Mamod steam engine, but when I clicked for a closer look, I was given a warning page instead.  So, if its an AC dynamo, it would just sit there looking at you with power applied.

TailUK:
Could be helpful to have a picture?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version