Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open ship lifeboats  (Read 2618 times)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Open ship lifeboats
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:51:54 pm »

Hello Gents,
 Can any one tell me were I may buy a 170/72  scale open life boat I have modelled  a covered one from card and balsa but really want to make them open I have hunted every whey should be about 110/115mm x 40mm.

thank you to all that reply.
                              Regard Howard.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Open ship lifeboats
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:49:51 pm »

Thanks for the heads up BFSMP but none are like what am looking for there for my SD14  I have made a solid one but would like to show them open with no cover on. Think I'll have to make a silicon mould and brush resin in till I get the thickness I want  but again thank you.

Regards Howard.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:52:56 pm »

No problems.

people forget about the Quaycraft boats though. would yours be the smooth aluminium type boats rather than clinker built boats.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:00:53 pm »

BFSMP Yes that's what am after so hard to find any.

Regards Howard.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:52:14 am »

Hi ya Howard

I had a similar problem myself; I was looking for 1:96 lifeboats; I ended up making them myself by carving them out of balsa wood - carefully opening the insides of the lifeboat with a Dremel and a scalpel.   I made the innards from cardboard and Plasticard (I obtained the sizes etc for the lifeboats from the plans) very much the same way as when I built the destroyer lifeboats - I will put a link on for you and also a pic of the completed lifeboats on the cargo vessel which I am just completing at this present time.

Hope this helps.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3462.msg68828.html#msg68828

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:52:02 am »

Thank you for that John, I'll take a good look at that way Am also thinking of after making after making a silicon mould from the plug I have already made (See SD14 ) on here  soften a bit of plastic card  the thickness of the walls and line, push it in into the silicon mould   then cast another silicon mould  plug on top then pore resin in between just trying to think out of the box.

Regards Howard.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »

Hi ya Howard

Just been sitting watching a couple of videos on YouTube on how to make a vac-forming machine - pretty straight forward I think.   I fancy having a go at this myself.  So I could try and Vac-form a few items like lifeboats, ventilators etc., for me next model.  Here is a link - so you can have a look - you may already have thought about this :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbX3bqfzsk

\john

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbX3bqfzsk

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:10 pm »

Hi John,
 thanks for that I already have a little vac-form machine but its a tad to little and am not going to buy another one way or another I find a way of doing them if not then yhey will have it have covers on. I'll keep you all informed.

Regards Howard.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:01:58 pm »

I carve a male plug in wood to a little smaller than the required size. I then use a small picture frame and use drawing pins to hold a sheet of plastic card. Heat in the oven and when it smells remove and press over the male mold. It takes seconds to cool off and once you have cut the sheer shape you have a basic hull. This can then be fitted out to the level of detail required.

This works well albeit you will probably ruin a few until you get the technique right but its easy and effective.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »

As a quick add on if you want to make oars as well, use thin plastic rod and squash the end in smooth metal vice jaws. A little practice and you can make an oar in just a few seconds. Squash too much and it looks like a paddle but gey it just right and you have a very good representation of an oar. (hint: make them longer than you need then you can stick them in play-doe to paint)

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.