Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mascotte Bristol channel pilot cutter  (Read 4731 times)

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
Mascotte Bristol channel pilot cutter
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:50:52 pm »

This landed on my bench this week some bits have been done by the previous owner.
 Today I removed  the port deck support as it was about 2mm lower than the starboard side luckily it was glued in with contact adhesive as per the instructions so easy to remove.
I have epoxied it back in cut the waterways out given the outside a rub down and a quick paint, then marked the waterline and did the initial ballasting.
Tomorrow I'll cut a new sub deck glass in the lead shot and think about how to mount the mast as the fwd. bulkhead has been installed smack on the mast centre <:( .

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Mascotte Bristol channel pilot cutter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:47:30 pm »

Tomorrow I'll cut a new sub deck glass in the lead shot and think about how to mount the mast as the fwd. bulkhead has been installed smack on the mast centre <:( .

Well, "tomorrow" has been and gone - have you made progress or are you still puzzling over how to fit the mast?  (I assume the mast is keel stepped and the bulkhead is exactly where the mast should go.  Three possible solutions - 1.  Cut the bulkhead out and reposition, 2.  cut the mast short and step it on the deck, and 3.  cut a slot in the bulkhead to allow the mast into position, and reinforce the bulkhead with a U-shaped channel which bridges the gap and encases the mast.)

Please don't keep us in suspense!   %%

Greg

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 10:09:19 pm »

one good pop with the hammer will knock out the forward bulkhead......it does not look like it is fixed strongly...at least in the pre-shot-glassing pics..

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:02:06 pm »

Then again, a few mm to the rear (i.e. held in place against the bulkhead) isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Do, however, bond that bulkhead in properly and Bristol-(pilot cutter)-Fashion.  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Pembroke sailor

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 01:36:54 pm »

Does anyone have the construction manual for Kingston Mouldings Mascotte? I have a fibreglass hull and the original plan. Thank you. If it helps, I could borrow, copy and return the manual. I would be happy to pay or donate to a charity.

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:05:56 pm »

Hi Pembroke Sailor,

I have the complete construction manual for the Mascotte, from Kingston Mouldings. It was in my 'Future Projects' file, but I don't think I'm going to get round to it, so it's yours if you want it. It came in a standard office stationary style ring binder, which I will ditch, and it will fit in an A4 'Large letter'. If you PM me with your address I will post it off to you. All I ask is a donation to the RNLI.

Cheers,

Mike

Pembroke sailor

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:22 am »

Many thanks. I will make a £10 donation, which was the original cost.

I will PM my address to you.

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 06:38:45 pm »

Hi Brian,

Got your PM and  have posted the manual off to you.

Good luck with the West Wales Maritime Museum.

Cheers,

Mike

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 10:24:30 am »

A little early in your build, but you are thinking of the mast. I have a large pilot cutter (Hilda). When fully rigged  6ft tall keel to truck. So the mast has to be removable with out to much trouble. My solution, the base of mast has a brass pin (1/4ins) this goes in a hole in a block of wood glassed to the bilges. Held at the deck by the hatch rear half & a slot in deck forward. remove hatch, this has to be done to take out ballast. other wise very heavy. Unhook forestays, lift mast tilt forward to clear hatch then lay backwards on to deck. The photo shows the hatch on top of the folded tops.  Other tips you may find useful later I roll lose cords around bow sprit hold with masking tape. Lanyards in dead eyes are hat elastic helps lifting mast & keeps the shrouds taught. I am sure you will enjoy sailing when you have finished. I apologise if you know this already. But if I can help I will, just ask. Hammer, I will be watching.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 07:53:22 pm »

It's been a while but since the last posting there's been family bereavements and we've moved house so lots been going on.
I still have a workshop to build but I did get bits done just before moving. I had some very close grained very well seasoned pine which I have made all the spars from.
I have made a mast step so the mast can slot into and through the deck.
I have bunged some foam under the deck just in case, the sub deck glued in then lime planking on top. That's it so far.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.