Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterproof servo connection?  (Read 3557 times)

rpbidgood

• Shipmate
Waterproof servo connection?
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:45:14 pm »

Hi,
I am building a Robbe U47 and would like to control the front planes using a waterproofed servo (underneath the conning tower probably). The servo will be in the flooded front section and will need to be connected to the receiver which is obviously in the wtc. Since the two parts of the boat separate I will need to be able to make and break the connection in the servo wire - (this connection will be in the flooded area) Does this connection need to be waterproofed or am I worrying about nothing?
Keith.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
Re: Waterproof servo connection?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 08:34:03 am »

Hi Keith,

In the absence of any other replies to this one. Some links here may give you some ideas:

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t598-waterproof-servos-new?highlight=waterproof

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t1081-waterproof-connectors?highlight=waterproof

(I still feel that putting servos outside a WTC is best avoided,)

David

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:25:09 am »

You could try the automotive style connectors, They seem pretty well sealed and come in 3 pin varieties.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/619/superseal-weatherproof-connectors

I don't think water conducts enough to upset a servo connection at only 5 volts or whatever it is but, corrosion of the pins could be the issue over time if you didn't use a waterproof connector.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

rpbidgood

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I should rely on the rear planes for control.
Thanks again for your interest.
Keith.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »

Hi,

There is some rubberised paint i cannot recall the name, i used it on my trafalgar sub years ago.

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Ken G121

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:25:30 pm »

If not too late I put mine inside the watertight area. I used a slimmer servo and by also using a slim servo for the rudder mounted the pair where just the rudder servo had been. The linkage for the front planes exits where the on/ off linkage went ( I made magnetic switch to replace). This goes to a large pivot lever, a rod( running in a tube) leads forward under the deck but can be disconnected or the aft point to allow the sub to be split. Another crank at the front the same size at the rear takes this movement down to the front dive planes. You may think this is complicated but it was very simple to install and is very low friction. I can email pictures if required
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.