Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Going back to cycling....  (Read 8141 times)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Re: Going back to cycling after 25 years, at 64? must be nuts!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 05:58:49 am »

Hi guys

Had a think and decided I'll reply to the post's on this thread,, I have to do that at least so here goes, be a miracle if all this works.

John

Morning Malcolm
 I rode to work back in 1968 on my new Sun Snipe, £26 quid - £2  a month from local bike shop,
 paid for with my paper round earnings , £1-2 a week! Paid off no prob, fell off lots of times, read crashed it...no t a scratch on me,  bike not so lucky , hit a child..only 15 myself!, head on going round into a 'ginnel' ??? !!! front wheel  S  shaped, carried it home, bike shop bloke tried to fix it but never the same again,  new wheel but spoilt the ride,sold on to a relative !   
 Had toe clips  and staps on the Sun good idea, on order, next bike a Dawes 'Milk Race'in 1989, similar to the Sun but 10 speed, half decent bike, got 'Look' brand clip on pedals and shoes to match, a revelation after straps, pull up easy,  double the effect of pedaling – unclip? Twist your foot to one side and you are out, click back in while still moving...yeah man...!
 I've have to use my car all the time even short trips, disc injury wouldn't let me walk more than the corner of the street 30yds or so, seized up completly, very frustrating after being fit as a butchers dog..its that dog again! Ha ha.

Don't lke pizza or foriegn foods at all, hotpot or egg chips and beans man..! no alco, think i've mentioned already???, I've been the same weight for last ...50 years!

Catch you when I can at one of the lakes soon, I hope.
 Thanks for the post Malc.
 John.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 06:01:13 am »

Liverbudgie
 XK100 or 150? or just an X152?! :)))

Older Jags are not a lot of money are they, feel like ive robbed i've the guy with this XJ6,  not first time either!
 Only I need to watch the vehicle tax...no comment.

I don't go local main stealers, service and run of the mill stuff at local garage or Preston Jag Centre for serious work, took my X to PJC, recommended, i'll be going to look see if it's the still same now, hope so, pray so!!.
 Let us know any developments, not too far away from you. convoy later? !!!
 Cheers
 John.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 06:03:30 am »

chris f
 It's all in your mind..I think!
 Get that bike out and make a small start if I can think about it and set myself up 25 years later you can at least try, you have been there  before, not wishing to force you or anything of course..!

Only semi-retired? I'm full now, not got time to spit...
 Hee Hee.!
 Thanks..see you on the road next year.
 John.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 06:04:48 am »

Roycv
 I'm in the conservatory so need to watch out for the wife, she doesn't usually bother me  just  lets  me get on with whatever Im doing.
 Yes been thinking about a car rack, don't know what sort yet, best plan is to go down the bike shop..only 5 miles to the local Evans, get them to advise on what would be best for me?.

Experience and hindsight..always good to have plenty of both...
 Thanks for the advice, I'll be taking it.

John.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 10:07:11 am »

somethings not right?  missing a body or 2.. i think...not sure.back later if i can work it out :-X

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 12:38:16 pm »

Liverbudgie
 XK100 or 150? or just an X152?! :)))

Older Jags are not a lot of money are they, feel like ive robbed i've the guy with this XJ6,  not first time either!
 Only I need to watch the vehicle tax...no comment.

I don't go local main stealers, service and run of the mill stuff at local garage or Preston Jag Centre for serious work, took my X to PJC, recommended, i'll be going to look see if it's the still same now, hope so, pray so!!.
 Let us know any developments, not too far away from you. convoy later? !!!
 Cheers
 John.

If only:)  There are some lovely XJ saloons out there and most are relatively cheap and to run as well - if you don't want it as an every day car and you can get classic insurance. But as usual, I have set my heart on something different which are not cheap to purchase. I don't mean an E type either! As good ones now are going for well over 100K. No, I want something that could be best described as a "gentleman's touring vehicle" I suppose, which I can drive around in, show off in other words, while I rebuilt my TR6!

LB
LB

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 01:00:09 pm »

Some therapy needed ..if no one minds?

Broke my ship

PC to set up...nooo!

Fresh motor.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Re: Going back to cycling....
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 01:04:17 pm »

Well nearly in the right order.suppose you can work it out!

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »

let me guess..... :embarrassed: xk 120 drophead..?

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 01:12:50 pm »

sorry...roadster  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Re: Going back to cycling.... Tigertiger
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 06:01:03 am »

Tigertiger
 Its' all down to what you eat I think? I don't eat a lot but need regular feeding with decent grub, got some gels to try from Evans cycles, half price, mixed box all looks good, 25 in the box, just a boost when I need extra,  not an alterative to food.
 Yes slow and easy, enjoy the view and companionship best way when you are older, done it before with a cycling pal, we can't go blasting about like a 15 year old now, be dead next week!
 Never mind the bad back.

Don't know about apps yet, my son still trying to drag me into 21st century, smartphone for a dummy?!! i'll get there but don't wait for me..Really looking forward to being back on a bike..this Viking is just like my old one's, waited ages for it to appear, had to buy it at first sight, bit silly but not one to miss an opportunity me..only spent same as a bike from H......s... far better I reckon???...

Might be a while before I can get some in but a can wait a bit, all i Need is building up around me.

Cheers for the post and encouragement.
 John.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:14 am »

How about an electric cycle - less pain more gain.  ok2

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/

Yes a really good idea, maybe try one? wonder if they want tester's?  O0 I like the look of the GTech thing, more info needed.

Thanks for the post Perkasaman

John.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 09:12:55 am »

At 60 I decided it would be good if I could live long enough to see my new, first grandson graduate from uni. Now I was someone who when he felt the urge for physical exercise would have a lie down until it passed off. So I enrolled in a local gym. Lots of bikes, treadmills and instruments of torture. I stuck it for 3 months but found it all incredibly boring. So I got a mountain bike off freecycle. That first ride, 300yds out and back nearly killed me. The saddle was made of recycled razor blades soaked in battery acid. I got a Brooks B17 saddle which was heaven in comparison and just got on with it. In a very short time I was doing trips on cycle paths of 14 then 28 miles. I did everything to avoid hills. After about 6 months I realised I'd got the wrong bike so I bought an entry level modern road bike for £250 quid off eBay. I never looked back. It seemed to go up hills by itself.
I'm 68 now and have done 4 Tour de Môns, 3 Étape Eryri and The Big Canberra Bike Ride. I've formed Team JCB with friends and family and had great times. In December when I return to Oz we are enter in The Étape Australia in the Snowy Mountains climbing Oz's highest peak. Riding with us will be Chris Froome. I live on a narrowboat now and training is riding to Spar stores, B&Q and Screwfix and the like. I'm as fit as I think I can be. It's probably the most sensible decision I've ever made. B17 saddles aren't cheap to buy but you'll only buy one. Mine travels with me between UK and Oz. My two daughters also are part of the team and love it.
I look awful in Lycra but you know I really don't give a toss. Get on it, get out there, on good roads and enjoy yourself.
Jerry.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »

Jerry, thats a brilliant post thanks so much. i'll just do it soon as i can  :-))  having to use my phone now :embarrassed:  desktop in bits, laptop too hot! Back later .
maybe %)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 07:53:08 pm »

At 60 I decided it would be good if I could live long enough to see my new, first grandson graduate from uni. Now I was someone who when he felt the urge for physical exercise would have a lie down until it passed off. So I enrolled in a local gym. Lots of bikes, treadmills and instruments of torture. I stuck it for 3 months but found it all incredibly boring. So I got a mountain bike off freecycle. That first ride, 300yds out and back nearly killed me. The saddle was made of recycled razor blades soaked in battery acid. I got a Brooks B17 saddle which was heaven in comparison and just got on with it. In a very short time I was doing trips on cycle paths of 14 then 28 miles. I did everything to avoid hills. After about 6 months I realised I'd got the wrong bike so I bought an entry level modern road bike for £250 quid off eBay. I never looked back. It seemed to go up hills by itself.
I'm 68 now and have done 4 Tour de Môns, 3 Étape Eryri and The Big Canberra Bike Ride. I've formed Team JCB with friends and family and had great times. In December when I return to Oz we are enter in The Étape Australia in the Snowy Mountains climbing Oz's highest peak. Riding with us will be Chris Froome. I live on a narrowboat now and training is riding to Spar stores, B&Q and Screwfix and the like. I'm as fit as I think I can be. It's probably the most sensible decision I've ever made. B17 saddles aren't cheap to buy but you'll only buy one. Mine travels with me between UK and Oz. My two daughters also are part of the team and love it.
I look awful in Lycra but you know I really don't give a toss. Get on it, get out there, on good roads and enjoy yourself.
Jerry.

Insiped and reassured by Jerry,I got on the turbo at 3pm... managed only 2 minutes on the small cog leg pain heavy breathing but got off...just... nearly fell off if i'm honest.... don't know the gear set up yet need to check that, i'm confident it will be good for some easy riding to begin with will suit.

This bike was built by an enthusiast. he told me he was about to dismantle a tandem for taking across to france to ride with his wife on a touring holiday.

Good tale about the bikes! been there done etc...the Sun back in 1968 had a brooks saddle, yep like riding a knife on on steroids, you got used to it after a few hundred miles !!!. not sure if the saddle shaped itself to you or the other way round. eek.oow.....feel sick.

Must go before lappy complains. smartphone for a dummy? yep............

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 09:23:03 pm »

JaB,
Get the man to fit your bike with a "compact gear set". 50/34tooth front set and11/34 or 11/36 at a pinch rear cassette. This is a really good setup for an ageing road rider. Your top speed descending will be a bit limited but you'll be able to carry a higher cadence when climbing. Having an over geared bike means you have to "grind" up hills which will suck the life out of your legs in seconds. Your rear mech (the stuff that changes the gears and takes up the slack on the chain) may not be able to handle it though but worth changing for a mech that can. Enjoy riding your bike but be prepared to upgrade to a modern aluminium framed bike with carbon forks. The B17 standard saddle is a brilliant sports/touring saddle. As your average speeds will be slower than your younger counterparts so you will spend longer in the saddle. It is very comfortable out of the box but rapidly improves. It is made of fine quality leather but fits modern seat stems. It needs to be kept dry and regularly treated with Brooks preservative. It will last your lifetime and more. Mine is 8 years old and gets better all the time. Google it and read the reviews. You'll have good rides and bad but the bad ones usually turn out to be a better time. Get the Strava app for your phone and use it.  It allows you to compare yourself to riders of similar age and weight. It helps you to really monitor your progress and also to compare against yourself. Also bone up on nutrition and hydration/ electrolytes. Very important. Gels and stuff to put in your water bottles. I swear by jelly babies and liquorice alsorts but also use gels. Often Aldi and Lidl sell complete sets at very cheap prices. It won't be long before you can look at doing Sportifs. They are great fun and you will surprise yourself at what you can achieve. Stay safe and where the right gear. Aldi is also a good source for kit.
Best wishes
Jerry.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 02:35:58 am »

managed only 2 minutes on the small cog leg pain heavy breathing but got off... 

Just a thought, there is probably a resistance setting on the Turbo machine. It might be set on high, if so change it to minimum.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 04:54:14 am »

Jerry that’s just what i needed, some experienced advice, been looking at new bikes for months, thought best idea for a start was something like i had when a lad, at least I’d know how to ride it and change gear.
Saw something like this before i found the Viking. 2016 bike tho, How can i get it past the Mrs.
Changed my car twice in two months - new PC and other bits including the Haynes Cycling Manual. She’ll probably shoot me.
https://www.evanscycles.com/bianchi-via-nirone-carbon-xenon-2017-road-bike-EV307756
Gels came last week, half price. Some other bits in the pipeline too.
https://www.evanscycles.com/high-5-isogel-mixed-box-EV211355
I don’t think she will let me spend that on another bike, got a model to collect at the end of the month as well, The Audi is parked up at my son’s storage place 10 miles away, for sale soon so should get some money back from that mistake.

If anyone is wondering, I’m doing this in MS office word, copy and paste to the reply box, cheating…ha.
Grateful to you for taking the time to post all this info. Everything noted...printed the whole thread off now. All good useful stuff so thanks to all the guys who posted too, I Will try and get this new PC up and running. Son asked if I could build him a new PC, my old one is not good thinking about an upgrade but it’s a low end HP/Compac job, no slots for sound and video, all on the M/Board. Cost less to buy him a new one I think.
Cheers for now.
John.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 06:49:21 am »

Just a thought, there is probably a resistance setting on the Turbo machine. It might be set on high, if so change it to minimum.

Hi tiger
not sure there is yet. check later thanks for the suggestion. :-)

bike check.
guy said he thinks frame Reynolds 531, not certain stickers worn a lot, had respray by Brian Rouke?
saddle Icaselle  - 'ISCA' Italy soft - on side starting to wear off a little
5sp chainring 48 teeth..looking good. will do the cassette later, just to keep interest going!!!
Huret 5sp rear mech... just like my old Sun. %)
tyres Swalbe active.
pedals milremo  :-)

There is a frame number, guessed built around 1960 by seller, no one sure about ser. no's!  not seen it myself. yet.
Thats all i can tell for now. :-))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqNnPrxzm3g %% {-) {-)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 07:20:23 am »

Who would like me to go PM's - Emails only?

Take a vote.... secret if you like...I will abide by the result.

JaB (John)  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 09:09:10 am »

Hi again,
That bike from Evans will destroy you and spoil everything. It's over geared on the rear and doesn't even quote the chain ring sizes but I'll bet they are 52 or 54. Way too tall for you. Very fast though. Your present, nostalgic bike also not suitable because of difficulties in maintaining it. You can't for example renew bearings as they don't sell cups anymore, ball bearings and cones yes but you never mix new with old.  Front chain ring is too small and there's only one. You'll never manage the hills. It's also overpriced. With a bit of bargaining you needn't spend more than £600 ish. Buy last years model. If it's the latest model and pretty colours you desperately need then you're a lost cause. Campagnolo gear is niche market. Shimano kit is like Ford, it's cheap and cheerful, does the job and the permutations are endless. Carbon bikes are very nice and there are some cheap ones out there but they are easily damaged, difficult to repair and the damage doesn't show. They are not for you, yet. You're going to fall off a few times when first you fit clip less  pedals I'll guarantee it. The second time is the most painfull cos you land on the bit you hurt last week!! I ride a Trek 1.1 1915/16 model. Use the dealers fitting service cos modern bikes are a different shape and use different measurements to your old bike. If buying new bike,fitting usually free but worth  £80 cos the wrong size will spoil enjoyment. I'm happy to post here cos other peeps may find value too. Rgds
Jerry.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2017, 09:39:50 am »

I understand what you are saying. Good job you are ar dont think i would have bought bought that bike just on wish list. Was shimano last year. Thought it was o3dd. Never thought about spares..a museum piece? Not worried its ok foy the turbo not do me any harm in the consevatory. Hard on my phone. Wife called son cos im 'kicking off' no good link to internet. Need at the moment cant drive the jag yet. Banking..shopping from onlinevsupermarket all essential for me now till im back somthing like fit. Got tòo drive least. B a wk yet..back later with any luck. Stuck at the minute.!!!!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »

Hi Guys

Having read through this thread (I also signed up for swimming today) I've decided to get my bike out again. Two years since I last rode and I only gave up then because the arthritis in my thumbs got too much. I guess I could change the handlebars - they are the straight across type. I lack the correct terminology to say what I need but something to lessen the weight.

I loved getting fitter on my bike but at least once a week motorists tried to kill me.

Dave

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 03:24:13 am »

... I only gave up then because the arthritis in my thumbs got too much. I guess I could change the handlebars ...

Butterfly bars (or even Dutch bars) will help. Not only do you have ways of changing your grip as you ride, you can also angle the bars to near vertical (giving a more upright riding position). There are also handle bar riser tubes to raise the height. On my bike I also slid the saddle forward, there are rails under most saddles that allow this. I suffer from arthritis in one shoulder, and constantly need to shift my weight. The other alternative is change your bike to one with a more upright riding style, some of the city bikes have the rider sitting fully upright, you won't be able to race but you will still get plenty of exercise.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JQJLRM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502677582&sr=8-5&keywords=butterfly+bar
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cycling-Equipment/HOLLAND-STYLE-DUTCH-COMFORT-TRADITIONAL-CHROME-HANDLEBARS/B01J5M6XSG/ref=pd_sbs_200_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S4HWC0S8FYGGBH213C1V

As for cars, if you go out with the mentality that every car is trying to kill you, you are more prepared and will be safer.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:33 pm »

Thanks, yes both good options. I think I'll visit my bike shop and decide there whether to alter mine or to buy a replacement bike. Retirement is calling ever louder so soon cycling and swimming will be my main exercise. ... I found out yesterday that being sixty gets me a 40% discount at the local sports centre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.