Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for a sound module??  (Read 3977 times)

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
Recommendation for a sound module??
« on: August 12, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a sound unit?
Application is for a Tamar Lifeboat please note that i need something compatible with brushless Esc.

Sound's required
Twin diesel
Horn

Possibly a function for switching on
Lights
Flash beacon

Many thanks

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Recommendation for a sound module??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »

Expensive but very capable sound board - would do twin engine sound plus extra sounds plus switching plus flashing plus, plus, plus :)

Beier USM RC2

https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-rc-2/usm-rc-2.php?sprache=gb

Check out the YouTube videos - USM RC2

sound & lights demo(- check out the flickering lights on restart)  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tpYHtsocFE

or multiple sounds playing at the same time from the same card - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBh6cfg4IvA

Or   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G87XhIZyY0

Not just for trucks - but this video shows flexibility / functionality

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

flack

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:53:11 pm »

Have a look at "Action Electronics" on the Component Shop website, they supply sound units and switcher units for the operation of lights etc.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/

Shaun

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 01:59:30 pm »

Note - Action Electronics sound unit doesn't play twin engines all the time...

2nd engine sound stops playing while a third sound is triggered / plays which may or may not bother you - unless it's been upgraded which I am sure someone will post to correct me......

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 03:25:56 pm »

Many thanks to you both.

I hear the Beier is quite complex to setup??

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 05:35:48 pm »

It's not plug and play for sure.

The rich functionality/ flexibility that is offered by the USM RC2 can only be supported by a more involved setup compared to plug and play.

The setup is all completed in a  program running on your PC and then either saved to a micro SD card or squirted directly to the sound card via cable.

Why not download the DEMO software and see what you think - https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-rc-2/demo/demo.php

It can play any wav file 16bit 44.1khz - CD quality - it can play 4 wav files simultaneously. It has an on board 2 x 20w audio amp

If you want to have twin engines, play a mayday call , sound a siren etc etc then you won't be disappointed.

And if you get stuck PM me and I'll help you - I have used these card for about 4 years and they still make me smile with what they can do.

Apart from supporting Nautic switching if your radio has that function - the way you actually trigger sounds is very easy

see this video and watch the stick position/length of time the stick is held in position ( sound card is directly flashing the lights as well) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Q-7JpZcRQ

Have fun

C-3PO

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 06:30:14 pm »

Hi mate,

I have a 12ch mz
Just wondering with regards to both engines,
Do you need to hook it up to both throttles for the sounds to work correctly
I.e. All ahead on port and reverse on starboard is there a change in sound?
Or do both engines run ahead?

Which  size of speaker and what size of speaker box would you need?

Thanks

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:15 am »

Hi Batfish,

For twin engine sound - you hook up both throttle channels to the sound card using 2 connections

You can specify for each engine - the startup sound, idle sound, engine run sound ( and more) - but these are likely to be the same wav files if both engines are the same.

So you will hear each engine start individually assuming you are using TX sticks / 2 RX throttle channels.

If you leave one engine ahead and put one engine into reverse you will hear that engine sound slow down and then speed up to the reverse speed selected - whilst the other engine keeps doing it's thing unaltered...

You can specify an additional sound that plays as the main engine goes into reverse - could be a voice announcement/ bells sounding etc

There is lots more functionality on this sound/light card - it can switch things on / off - synch sound triggers to events - on off

You can write 2 "sequences" to flash an LED or move a servo - this could be for a servo go to 30 degrees and stay there for 5 seconds, move to 90 degrees wait for x seconds

If you use this sequence for LED flashing you can see how you can determine how long the LED is lit and how long the gap is until it is relit - hence the ability to get a LED to flash in a loop eg

Short Flash -  gap - Long Flash - gap - Short flash - gap - Short flash - repeat

Regarding speaker size & box - I use these also sold by Beier - Speaker and then box below

https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/ls-4r-25w-90/ls-4r-25w-90.php

You can see this speaker / speaker box in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFFTR6rjUFM

You may well be able to get the speaker cheaper elsewhere

If you do decide on this option - it is worth buying the Data cable that allows you to control the card directly from your PC - when you are configuring it it will save you lots of time not having to eject/insert the micro sd card

And lastly - another demo board of using this for a truck - all sound / light / servo controlled by USM RC2( with some switching help from their speed controller) - check out the sound synchronising - indicator to sound and windscreen wiper servo/sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uzjzyIL3Q

Regards
C-3PO

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:45:28 am »

While a water resistant speaker in a water resistant box is a good idea, on most model boats the hull is the speaker box.  The larger dimensions help with better speaker volume at lower frequencies provided that there is no easy short path through air from the back of the speaker to the front.  The enclosed box is way better than any unbaffled speaker.
There is a balancing act with speakers - A bigger speaker obviously takes up more room, but a smaller one, to give the same volume, needs its cone to travel further.  This increased travel requires a much more powerful magnet, and this often means that a quite modest sized speaker can weigh more than a large one with a more lightly built frame and tiny magnet.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

C-3po
Regarding the Beier, I noticed you can have two speakers hook up...
Would this be more beneficial if going the two engine route?

I was planning on using a Servo/switch for other things onboard.

Regards
Batfish

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 12:36:27 pm »

Hi Batfish,

Regarding the 2 speaker outputs - you have got me there - I have to say I don't know - I have only ever used a single speaker as I have found that more than ample volume . However the sounds play in mono - so the 2 x 20w amp on board one would suggest 20W out at both speaker terminals so using 2 speakers would be twice the sound output. I will hook a second speaker up later if I can detach the paint brush (DIY not modelling) from my hand and let you know my findings - however no direct link in setup 2 motors to 2 speakers...

Regarding switching then you have at hand - "The USM-RC-2 contains 12 switching outputs for connecting LEDs, lamps and relays. Different light effects (e.g. brake lights, indicators, hazard warning lights, machine-gun fire or flickering-lights) can be implemented at these outputs."

One thing that is great is how you access the sounds/functions(switch etc) from you TX sticks - none of this jabbing X times - you either hold them for a short on longer time in certain positions eg. half stick / full stick

There are quite a few other little features - you can assign vol+/- to RX functions so you can control the volume remotely - you can setup a juke box and play your favourite tracks - it can play assigned random sounds - seagulls / crowd noise / radio calls etc.

It can play any wav file in full CD quality - so you can record your own sounds etc.

One thing I would say is that the CD of sounds you can buy from Beier ( well worth the money) is great apart from one thing - some hiss on some of the tracks. This is easily removed using the GREAT free audio tool Audacity

Indeed I have played quite a lot with enhancing the sound files - messing around with EQ / layered tracks and all the other fun things you can get up to with audio.

We had a night sail a Chrimbo and my boat was playing carols for most of the time - shame that Youtube blocked the audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkeG6s-9A04

C-3PO

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 10:26:51 pm »

I look forward to hearing how your testing goes.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 09:56:36 am »

Hi Batfish,

If you decide to go for this option - run your shopping basket past me first - the reason I say this....

I spent ages trying to find the speaker cable with the little 2 pin plug to hook up another speaker - to save frustration( and additional shipping costs)  there are some key accessories that you need to buy from Beier - some come with the board - some don't!

Any way - RESULT! - as suspected plug in the second speaker and you get another 20W of mono sound - volume increases dramatically.

All I've got to do now is put my models back together:)

C-3PO

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 11:08:57 am »

Thanks

C-3PO,
For taking the time to check it all out.
Will you be using two speakers from now on?
I'm going to read through it all again and decide from there.
It would be great if the twin engine sounds come through on each speaker

Regards
Bf

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 11:50:46 am »

Hi Batfish,

No problem - you an also download the user manual - https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-rc-2/usm-rc-2.php?sprache=gb

Just to clarify regarding the use of the 2 speakers - the sound output from the card (any sounds, engine 1&2) all play through the 2 x 20w onboard amp so sound from both speakers is the same and is mono.

You can't point a sound to play on a specific speaker eg. speaker 1 or speaker 2 if the sound is playing it would play on both.

Yes possibly use 2 in the future as the only additional cost is speaker, cable connector and speaker box - but I have found 1 speaker enough to date

However I completely concur with malcolmfrary's post about making the model into "a speaker" along the lines of "provided that there is no easy short path through air from the back of the speaker to the front." - this may have more effect on the overall sound than adding a second speaker

Which ever way you jump have fun...

C-3PO

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 05:04:38 pm »

I have mrrcsound in planes and boats  I have the mrrcsound v4.1 unit in my 4 foot aerokits fireboat with twin merlin engines.
have a look on the website and my previous posts
paul

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 01:02:01 pm »

Hi Paul,

The fireboat sounds brilliant.

I'm looking more at the Beier
And noisy thing 2
At the moment.
Thanks

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 06:37:49 pm »

Just wanted to say thanks to
For all your input,
I decided to go for the Noisy thing 2.

I did really consider the Beier
However i just want a plug and play, and the Beier would be wasted as
I'm really just after sound.

Many thanks again

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 10:01:51 am »

I bought the ShockWave sound module for my Imara. Although I don't really need (use) the engine sound, I will only use it for sounds like fog horn, bells and stuff. Boy it is LOUD  :}
http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/shockwavesoundmodule.php
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 10:29:07 am »

Based on this thread, I'm going for a beer! Sorry, Beier!  %%

Sounds a lot simpler to be able to control everything through one unit, I'm looking forward to fiddling with it.

Have they already got a good lifeboat (or lifeboat-esque) sound pack?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.