Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spray or Brush ?  (Read 2224 times)

KeithH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Spray or Brush ?
« on: August 17, 2017, 02:19:13 pm »

What are the general preferences amongst all of you experts ?

For a wooden hull do you prefer to spray the paint or brush the paint and if you brush, what paint is recommended ?

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Spray or Brush ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »

Well, I ain't no expert, but....

I prefer to spray.  Fill all those pesky little holes and cracks, give the hull a good rub down with something like 240 grade paper, then a high build primer.  This will probably reveal more pesky little holes and cracks, so fill those.  Then several top coats should give a good finish.  And no brush to clean afterwards!  :}

Of course, spraying does need more care in where and when you do it.  You can brush paint inside the house if you are very nice to SWMBO, but even the most ardent modeller would draw the line at spraying in the house (I think  %% !)  And you can certainly get as good a finish with a brush if you are careful, it just might take a little longer.

So ultimately it's up to you.  Where do you do your modelling?  That will probably determine how you do your painting.

Happy painting!

Greg

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 01:02:29 am »

I much prefer to spray. I find that I am able to achieve a better finish spraying, as opposed to brushing. As in any form of painting, surface preparation is the key to a good finish. Greg's post is a good summary of the procedure.

Peter.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:23:47 am »

I prefer spraying and use Halford's rattle cans. I now have an airbrush and will have a go with it Its surface prep that is the important thing for a good finish. Just got to decide which paint to use and stick with that make, other than Tamiya

KeithH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:26:45 pm »

Thanks guys, I use the car spray tins, in my garage workshop, making sure I ventilate well before someone else comes home  ;)

I'll get the knack of it one day

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »

If spraying, wherever you do it, be aware of the overspray settling.

I sprayed a 5ft hull and superstructure in the sunhouse with Halfords cans. I wish I'd emptied the sunhouse before I started. All horizontal surfaces had to be vacuumed to clean up the overspray particles.

Also I recommend wearing a mask. I use one of the twin filter type with silicon seals around the nose and mouth. When I saw the amount of paint particles I was vacuuming up I was very happy to know that I'd not been breathing them in.

Bintur Ellenbach

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 03:08:15 am »

If you haven't already seen it, you may want to review this write up:  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27859.0.html

John

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 03:06:02 pm »

I spray large areas such as the hull, unless a camouflage scheme is to be applied, then I would spray the bottom and brush paint the above water areas.

For small work/fittings etc, I brush paint. I basecoat in Humbrol enamels and then finish with Vellejo acrylics. I like the feel that I am physically adding to the part by brush painting whereas an airbrush or aerosol is a bit impersonal, but certainly more practical for those large areas.

I was taught that the first coats of primer are usually sanded off as the remnants fill the small gaps and blemishes, and as a telltale for the deeper indents that need filler and subsequent priming.
Pond weed is your enemy

KeithH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 05:16:28 pm »

Once again, brilliant information and guidance.  Thank you lads

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:50 pm »

I use both
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.