Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Detail Work, Rigging, Fittings, Figures Etc.

DIY tires (tyres) for tugboat bumpers

(1/2) > >>

peter goddard:
I am always happier making something rather than buying.
When I needed tires for my tugboat fenders I really struggled with how to make them.
I was about to CNC some tires from a hard rubber hockey puck, when it struck me how to do it faster and easier.
Using just the tools in the picture,
On my drill press:
1. 1-1/4" hole saw to cut a cylinder of the right size.
2. 1/2" spade bit to cut center hole. (held the cylinder with adjustable pliers)
3. Inserted a 1/2" Dremel sanding drum, with grit wheel attached, in the center hole, and chucked this into the drill press.
4. Used a knife dipped in oil (to prevent sticking) to separate cylinder into two tires.
5. Shaped the tire by sanding and scraping, with tire spinning on sanding drum.
6. Cut tread notches by hand.

I realize hockey pucks are not laying around in every UK garage, but I suspect this method would work on old boot heels, an old tire etc. any medium to hard rubber would suffice.
I hope this helps someone with the same level of obsessiveness as me.
Cheers!

Seaspray:
Nice job,  I do know that a puck is kinda hard. Once you make one good one it could be a master for casting more  :-))

peter goddard:
Thanks mate.
Hey, my family on my mother's side comes from East Ayrshire near Cumnock.
If there was any local trouble with the Keirs, they were a different bunch.
Cheers.

P

Brian60:
Good idea but a lot of work! I bought a cheap throwaway kids push along car. Pulled the tyres off and then used those to make a mould to cast even more.

ballastanksian:
Because of the methods you have had to use to create them, you have made some realistically perished tyres there Peter! They look similar to the tyres some plant machines sit on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version