Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spektrum DX6  (Read 3077 times)

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Spektrum DX6
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:10:27 pm »

Several weeks ago whilst sailing the MTB I lost control of the boat where it went into full reverse, full right rudder and finally sank (recoverd some 10days later).  I thought at the time that perhaps the batteries had perhaps gone flat, not probable as I run two 9.6v packs together but a possibility.  Using the same Tx for my trucks I thought I had a glitch whilst running them one night, but couldn't be sure.
Today at the lake my Club 500 had performed faultlessly, until going to the aid of a stricken yacht, exactly and I mean exactly, the same thing happened.
To be clear, different 1. boat, 2. RX, 3 battery, 4 ESC, 5 lake but same TX, a Spektrum DX6.
Has anyone experienced the same problem like this and is it likely to be the TX, I am unsure as to whatever else it could be?
Any ideas.

T33cno

Re: Spektrum DX6
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:15:33 pm »

Did you set the failsafe positions

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:32:58 pm »

No, I didn't.  What difference would that make?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:59:57 pm »

If the Rx looses (valid) radio signal, the ESC & servos are 'moved' to a preset position, eg. Rudder straight, motor to off... 'fail' 'safe'.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

T33cno

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:18 pm »

If the transmitter loses power or contact with the receiver then it will do its own thing. Instructions are in the manual but it sounds like that when you switch your transmitter on and pull the throttle back the receiver is taking that as the fail safe position and if control is lost it is going into full reverse.

T33cno

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:46 pm »

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 07:58:42 am »

Thanks for the reply.  I will have a look at that.  I still don't understand why it would have gone into failsafe though.  The only common denominator is the TX.

T33cno

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:09:42 pm »

You should carry out the range check with each boat as per the manual  :-))
When binding ensure that the throttle is at the neutral position as the temptation is to pull it back when it says warning throttle high. You must return it to neutral before binding.

In addition you can also alter the effective reverse speed in servo settings. This is especially useful with a club500

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »

Thanks for that. :-))   I still don't understand why it would have gone into fail safe in the first place {:-{   Two seperate boats having had no problems for the day, suddenly both of them acting in exactly the same way.  Do you think there may be a glitch in the Tx?  Is there a way to test it without risking another boat?

T33cno

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 01:33:49 pm »

Perhaps the tx battery voltage was too low.
Best way to check failsafe is to simply turn the transmitters off and see what the receiver does while on dry land

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 10:32:20 am »

I' ve checked the TX off and it did indeed go to full reverse (fail safe) On reading the forums it appears that the fail safe for a Mode 2 TX is stick down which on an aircraft is throttle off, but on a boat is full astern.  It also appears that the only way to operate the fail safe correctly is to change the TX to Mode 1 and then plug the throtle into the elevator channel.  Then you can program the Tx accordingly.  I have no problem with that other than I run cars, rock crawlers and Tamiya trucks off the same TX and they are all set to Mode 2 and I'd rather not keep changing.
One option is to buy another TX for the boats etc. or option2 is to buy a purpose made "fail safe" gadget and install it in the throttle line.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with these and more importantly do they actually work as required?
Thanks.

T33cno

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:05:33 am »

My transmitters are in aircraft mode
If you set the throttle stick to centre when you bind that will be the failsafe position

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 11:26:07 am »

Just a thought, are you using rechargeable batteries to power the tx?
The minimum safe voltage according to the manual is 4.5v
4 rechargeable batteries = 4.8v not much leeway
I use non rechargeable 1.5v batteries 4 x 1.5 = 6v
As I said just a thought.

John

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:57:37 am »

No, I only use dry cell, normally duracell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.