Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Launch suggestions for Cheddar Pintail  (Read 2926 times)

Beazld

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Launch suggestions for Cheddar Pintail
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:36:56 am »

Greetings, I am kind of new to boats, I have been building model aircraft (RC, FF, CL) for 30+ years. I have built a Pat Tritle design boat from plans and a Springer tug from Zipp Kits. I have become fascinated by steam launches and want to try my hand at one. I have been researching all I can on line and lurking here and RG Groups. I recently was able to pick up a NIB Cheddar Delux Pintail steam plant kit.  Now I need to find a suitable mount.  I purchased a set of plans for the Choupette (~37") from Trapplet shortly before their demise, I also got a set of plans for Ruby (~38") from Selway-Fisher and a set of plans for Puffin Muffin (54" too big for the Pintail I'm sure).  In all of the experts opinion, would either the Choupette or Ruby work with the Pintail?  The Krick Alexandra has been suggested, but I am somewhat leery of ABS hull and steam boiler not getting along together too well. What should I be looking for in a suitable hull?  Is it size? Weight? Draft? Beam? All the above? 
There are no model boat clubs in my area and no steamers to my knowledge so I am kind of a lone voice crying in the wilderness, and any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Dave

livesteam

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Launch suggestions for Cheddar Pintail
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:59:35 am »

G  The Krick Alexandra has been suggested, but I am somewhat leery of ABS hull and steam boiler not getting along together too well.

I can understand your concerns regarding the ABS hull. But in my opinion, in an open Launch this is no issue at all. I have a Krick "Anna" that also has an ABS hull for more than 10 years, sailing her regularly and never had a problem. Just make sure that you paint the whole hull. I saw models with an unpainted interior which makes the ABS suceptible for uv-radiation (which can make the hull crumbly...).

Cheers, Kaspar

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:45:15 pm »

Dave,
Greetings from this side of the pond.
I see you are in Virginia. I hail from Denver.

As to ABS - and Krick models - I built the Krick Borkum as my first Steamer.  And have been sailing her for 3 years.
No problems yet.   She has a small twin oscillating from Miniature Steam in Aus.  Runs very well - very pretty in the water.

There are many opinions on this forum, and many do not apply directly to us in the US.  They also have some products we do not have over here and visa-versa.

If I may make a recommendation, I used this product to attach to the ABS hull:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/uhu48315.html 

I used about 1.5 packages to do my Krick Borkum.   It has worked great.

I look forward to seeing your build log on the forum.  I have found that as a beginner (only 3 boats so far)
that this group has been very kind and helpful in getting me past any hurdles.

Regards,
Jim Pope
Denver, CO USA
Son of a Son of a Sailor.

Beazld

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:59 am »

Thanks Kaspar and Jim for the responses,
Once I get a couple projects off the bench I'll get started putting the Pintail together and getting it steamed up then start on the hull.  Stay tuned.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:51:07 am »

Hello, I think the choice of a hull for your Pintail plant also depends on the type of boiler it has: vertical or horizontal? A vertical boiler has a higher centre of gravity and wouldn't sit too well in a very narrow hull, especially it if has shallow draught.

I have been using a Pintail (engine only, coupled to a lighter boiler) in my 55 cm tugboat. Worked very well, but it was already too powerful for it and now I will be replacing it with a smaller engine.

IanJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 12:46:42 pm »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I am also considering what boat to build, looking forward to any future build log.

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.