Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One size (lifeboat) fits all?.  (Read 2067 times)

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
One size (lifeboat) fits all?.
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:49:12 pm »

We were fortunate to visit Eyemouth at the weekend when it was lifeboat day  :-)) . Pure luck, anyway had an enjoyable tour of the Trent wonderful. During a conversation after with the coxswain he said the Trent was being replaced with a Shanon in 2019 I think. My question is does the RNLI intend the Shanon to replace all the different classes of boat? I always thought that she was mainly a carriage launched vessel, but it appears that she is replacing everything to me, just my thoughts as one solution seldom fits every problem.
Colin

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: One size (lifeboat) fits all?.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:06:58 pm »

Colin,
The RNLI's plan a few years back was that the 'fleet' of various classes of lifeboat was to be reduced to just two [apart from the various RIBs] - the Tamar and the Shannon. This would greatly reduce the amount of spares, technical training and maintenance. All of this to be done 'in house' at the new AWL Centre at Poole, HQ. That said, Ramsgate's Trent is away for a complete refurbishment and is meant to be on station for at least another five years, when it returns.
I have also talked to a number of crew members, coxswains and engineers / mechanics at various stations I have a connection with and they come up with some good points as to why this might not happen - I will not divulge these here.
The RNLI has had to look at its ways of reducing costs in today's economic climate and any way of maximising the donations made and the funds raised is to be encouraged, just so long as they are for the right motives and that the 'troops' - those that have to do the day to day job - are listened to! Hence the new 'livery' of removable items being in anodised finishes, rather than painted. Only time will tell. It just depends who is at 'the helm', in say five years!
Kim

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:11:39 pm »

I went to a talk on the Shannon last year (I think) by one of the Rnli's naval architects. If I remember correctly, the plan was to 'reduce' the ALB fleet to Shannons, Tamars and Severns. I think the hope was to extend the life of the Severns beyond 25 years partly by refitting with Tamar/Shannon type crew seats and installing SIMS.
That said, Kim's ear is closer to the ground than mine so he's probably more up to date.
Phil

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »

It will be a very sad day indeed when the Severns go. As much as I like the Tamar, the venerable Severns have proved to be formidable boats, so I'd love to see their lives extended.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:43:16 pm »

The Severns are intended to have a 50 year lifespan, with a possible mid-life rebuild, and rename as well.

Lance

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:18 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess that answers my niggle. Just so long as the people in Poole listen ?to the girls and guys at the sharp end and act on their input I shall be happy.
Anyway had my day made this evening watching the Berwick upon tweed Mersey and rib doing exercises and m.o.b drills boat handling was ace a good end to the day.

Thanks again Colin

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 09:33:58 pm »

I understood the approximate plan to be:-

Build a first batch 25+ Tamars ( 27 were completed ) and upgrade some Severns to provide them with a 50 year lifespan.

Build 50+ Shannons as a continuous run.

Build a second batch of Tamars after these Shannons, some as replacements for the Trents and certain Severns.

All these ALBs to have during-service upgrades to achieve a 50 year lifspan for the hulls.

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:41:40 pm »

sevens are staying in service for another 50 years,  spoke to the fantastic crew at Holyhead they said  some sevens are staying for another 50 odd years,   Holyhead are keeping theirs

Shannons were replacing the merseys and tynes,     if they keeping the all weather fleet to just Seven Tamar and Shannons,   are the shannons going to last 50 plus years or the norm 25 to 30 years?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.