Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on EzeKote please  (Read 1975 times)

overthesea

• Full Mayhemer
Advice on EzeKote please
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:09:31 pm »

Hi folks,
I have an RAF Range Safety Launch which is about forty years old. The hull has decided to open up and leak quite badly along the garboard strake.  Despite my raking out the join between said garbord strake and keel, then filling with car body filler it still opens up the first time back on the water. Has anyone used Eze kote to repair hulls with micro fibre cloth??  If so, do I need to take the paint down to bare wood and then apply Eze Kote, or can I apply the Eze Kote over the existing paint??
I sent an email to Deluxe Materials but they do not seem to want to give me a reply. Any replies much appreciated.
Alan Hartill. 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice on EzeKote please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:01:25 am »

Hullo Alan....

Auto body filler unless applied in a substantial lump  ;) has very little mechanical strength

If the hull is reopening up when semi immersed suggests hull rigidity is compromised

With any form of application of a reinforcement blanket, getting back to the parent hull material is critical

Depending on the hull size & shape, after cleaning/abrading all surfaces, you could consider tilting the hull to create a void at the lowest point....have pre-prepared, pre-shaped fibre glass bandages available & lay these in the void....then pour a little resin & hardener over & partially filling the void

The above is just one option......but what ever you choose, the cleaning & abrading of the surfaces to bare wood remains critical...remember too, the water  <:( is coming from the outside to in....so you also need to attend to this [after to the internal reinforcement & sealing]

Again depending on the hull size, you may find the additional epoxy resin may alter the waterline of the vessel...if this happens, you may need to shift  <*< ballast [battery pack] a little to the opposite side  of the hull

Good luck :-)) ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.