Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "JUNE" pond yacht  (Read 2978 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
"JUNE" pond yacht
« on: September 07, 2017, 01:04:09 pm »

First of all I will admit I know less about yacht classes and yachts than I do about the mating ritual of the rednosed funky gibbon!

With that in mind I was looking for something quick to churn out during downtime of my latest main build (my avatar pic) I had loads of balsa in stock and 2 litres of grp resin that is in danger of going off ( its 12 months old and beginning to cure in the tin) I came across a set of plans on the internet for a yacht called June, apparently it is some sort of 1950's racing class - who am I to doubt that? Anyway I wan't building it to class, I just wanted a simple kids 'pond yacht'

I cut the frames on my laser cutter -  the yacht is sat on the cabinet of the laser for now. Quickly clad the outside with strips of balsa and then two layers of woven glass cloth and resin. The intention was to sand this to a nice smooth finish.

Hats off to those who go for this way of building, it is damn hard work! I sanded so far but then added car body filler as a skim coat over it all, then sanded this back to get to a smooth hull. The photo's show it partially sanded and from orbital machine sander I now have to switch to hand sanding to get it to final finish ready for paint.

What I have noticed is the unusual keel on this boat, not really deep but quite wide, I'm going to have to drill out the balsa as I made it solid for the profile, then insert lead into the cavity. The second sharkfin part of the keel essentially makes a rudder post, the rudder being added to the aft end of it.

That's all for now, I intend swapping between my builds as and when I get fed up of working on one of them....

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "JUNE" pond yacht
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »

Brian glad to you are still busy. Just a suggestion why not cut off a part of the balsa keel, then use it as a mould to cast in lead. Geoff   

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:01:02 pm »

Brian glad to you are still busy. Just a suggestion why not cut off a part of the balsa keel, then use it as a mould to cast in lead. Geoff

I tend to agree, I have seen this done on other models. This might explain why the keel design is so fat, to get the weight needed. This is a perfect keel shape for shallow ponds with lots of weeds.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:41:06 pm »

Hi June looks like an 8 metre class yacht, very heavy shallow draft, an attempt at a scale looking hull.
I shall follow with interest.
Roy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:01:30 am »

I did some google searching yesterday - the plan says its 6metres - means nothing to a dunce like me O0 %% But there were a few similar looking if aged photo's of yachts. The keels of them it seems were lead ballast split into two halves and bolted/screwed to the keel. The keel itself instead of being bulb shaped as I have made mine by following the plan, is just a straight blade. The bulb shape being cast into the lead halves.

So I am considering doing the same, grind back the keel with the trusty angle grinder with a sanding disk in it, until it is blade shaped, and then cast some lead weights into the bulb shape and screw them in.

Another departure I have done yesterday/this morning is to plank the entire deck area with sheet balsa and then also cover that with resin and two coats of cloth. I now have a completely sealed hull with no way to get into it :} I made sure the rudder post is in position if not cut flush at either end just yet. The intention is to cut out an access hatch which will be disguised as a recessed deck. The only reason to access the inside later on will be to secure the mast internally.

The reason I went this way was so that it is entirely waterproof as I can get it and will take the knocks it will have when kids are playing with it ( if it gets that far! ) I am also going to plank the deck with mahogany stripwood that I have had for many years, so it won't look like a solid lump of grp when its eventually finished.

I sat feeling smug this morning at the handiwork when it occurred to me that I have cocked up. Before glassing the deck I haven't installed securing plates for the mast stays, fore and aft and p&s! Another problem to ponder :}

You'll have to forgive the temorary stand, never having built something with a keel before, until I got to working on it I never gave a thought to the keel sticking downwards. So its in my vice for now {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:18:13 pm »

If it's about 1500mm then it is probably
A six metre model
The full-size were raced in the
Olympics first third of the 20th century.

The R6M is the current model raced by
some UK clubs.
Bournville being one.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 02:24:13 pm »

Font monster got me again.
Is there a way of preventing this.

Ned

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 04:32:08 pm »

Font monster got me again.
Is there a way of preventing this.

Ned

***Font fixed***
It is a glitch, but if you notice it straight away, you can fix it yourself, before the time out, or someone else posting. If you can't just let us know by hitting the report to moderator button.
In the top right hand corner of your post you should see a MODIFY button. When the screen opens, highlight all of the text and then change font size (10 is standard) then hit the save button.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 04:48:53 pm »

Thanks for the info TT

Ned

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 06:38:19 pm »

I'm embarrassed to call this an update but hey ho...... I wanted to use some mahogany strip for the deck but once I measured up what I had there wasn't enough. So last week I called at a local model shop - its only 40 miles away from me %% and picked up some red looking strip wood, once home again it was anything but red compared to what I had. It turned out to be walnut, but I bought enough so would suffice.

It was at this point I decided to get clever and put in strips of mahogany between the 'planks' of walnut. This can be seen down the centre line, it wasn't very good as the two colours were similar! SO I got clever again and stripped down some pine into 1 x 1.5mm strips and used that. This can be seen in the rest of the planks laid so far.

This is now going on the back burner for a few weeks as wifey is now back in country and brought spares for my main build, so I can make some progress on that again - by the way DO NOT google the word wifey, you will be very embarrassed, if you do make sure there are no kids or the real wife around :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

as an addendum. I have decided also to grind off the bulb on the keel so that it is just a flat blade, then reglass that and finally make up a new bulb with some old lead I have for such purposes.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »

Wanut is a lovely timber and should make fine planking when varnished. I hope your grandchildren appreciate the efforts you are going to as it is a splendid model.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 01:52:27 pm »

Due to the vagaries of 'modern families' Ian I only see one out of 11 grandkids. {:-{ NO 1 son is last I heard on to his 4th partner and I never see his offspring at all. No 2 son split with his partner leaving her and moving in with a transgender  <:( so I never see his kids. No3 son knows better and is staying single. No1 daughter has a granddaughter  :D but we only see her on trips back to the UK.

So nobody to hand down my builds to really. Some auction place/car boot will have a field day when I go  %%

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 03:36:23 pm »

I forgot to post these two photo's of the finished deck. Its partly sanded smooth and waiting to be fully finished with an epoxy that is used for giving a mirror finish gloss to table top etc. For now its completely covered in a protective plastic and masking tape top so that I can cut off the keel bulb and cast it completely in lead - which might happen very shortly if the postie doesn't deliver me some more parts for my other build!.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.