Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2  (Read 15482 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
U.S.S. Lexington CV-2
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:46:42 pm »

Howdy Folks,  Well, once again, we begin a new build as I continue down the "aircraft carrier road".  Next in line is the USS Lexington or "Lexi Lady" or "Gray Lady".  She had an interesting career with a sad ending, being sunk during the battle of Coral Sea, May 8, 1942.  I will try to depect her as she might have looked in May of 1942 configuration and color.  At 888ft and a scale of 1/350, I am still dealing with a model that is 33" long (so much for the small footpring idea).  Kit is typical Trumpeter quality and I hope accuracy.  I have have supplimented detail with an upscale kit of PE from Gold Medal Models, here in Washington State, US.  I have been busy drilling out all of the portholes, something I like to do.  Was happy to see the casting has proper "eyebrows" over the ports.  Hull plating is lacking on the casting and truthfully, at this scale, it would be hard to see.  I could mimic the plating with paint, not sure if its worth the effort.  Dark grey hull color will hide alot.  Getting used to that massive smoke stack island... what a monster, I wonder how it affected trim on the ship underway.  Pictures I have seen show her really blowing some black smoke.  So far so good.  Cross members on the upper hull section are stiffeners to hold shape.  I am having to add wood stiffeners on the lower hull half to achieve proper shape and alignment before joining the halves.  So, here we go.  Hope you all enjoy the process.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:47:03 pm »

more.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:59:44 pm »

Hello again Dennis, your modelling is so prolific, it's hard to keep up with you !

Looking in on this one for the sheer pleasure of watching it come together.
Good luck with the build. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

n.b. Is this model going to stay with you....or building for someone else ?

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:54:19 pm »

Thank you sir.  My models are always available for purchase.  As it turns out, I had my Arizona model on display in my family room and my contractor saw it and bought it on the spot.  I don't advertise.  Sometimes, word just gets around.  My wife likes it cause it keeps the inventory down some and adds some extra cash.  I just do it for the shear love of it.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:25:37 am »

Crikey Dennis, I've only put the lid back on the biscuit barrel having seen you finish the Langley! Well, I salute your energy-straight onto the next one.

Will you build Saratoga next as a comparison or move onto ranger as it is a ground up design showing the next generation of carrier development? Sorry to jump ahead but this is an interesting long term project of yours  :-))

Good work so far, I admire your efforts driling all those squillions of portholes and door openings.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 04:30:49 pm »

Well my friend, I have decided to skip the Saratoga, as it was the same class.  I have already ordered the USS Ranger CV-4, which should be here next week.  She was a tad smaller than the Lexi and seems to have some of the features of the Langley, girder supports up at the bow and swivel smoke stacks, plus her island was a last minute add on I believe.  I have decided to finish out the Lexi with weathering, as she had to skip her haulouts towards the end and as I understand it, she was looking pretty rough.  I found the correct US Navy blue grey dark color and have started to paint that on the hull.  I'll try not to over-do it.  Weathering is a skill in my books and I am not that good at it.  I'll probably be asking for help as I go along with it.  Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:40 pm »

So the Lexington in 1942.  So Dauntless, Devastators and Wildcats?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 02:24:12 am »

That is correct for 1942. Unfortunately, the kit manufacturer only gave me a token few of each,  I will need to suppliment from outside kits to bring up my aircraft count, which are readily available at a price.  I will need to give that thought, even though the Lexi had an enormous hanger deck, there are no side viewing ports to see aircraft stored below.  I know I can get 15 on deck easily.  I think that it is the aircraft that really add to a model aircraft carrier for the viewer.  After all, it is a "Bird Farm". ;)  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 02:40:15 am »

Dennis,
 I would think that you could manage far more than 15on deck. After all, an entire would normally be sighted on deck for launch. I hope you are only referring to what came with the kit. A great reference to help you, "The Lexington Class Carriers" by Robert Stern, ISBN 155750-503-9.
Published by Naval Institute Press. Wicked good builds!
Jonathan

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 06:23:39 am »

Ok, I am beginning the weathering process on the upper hull section. The base color is "US Navy Blue Grey Medium" by Model Master Acryl water based enamel.  Brushed on. I dry brushed on a "Light Grey" for the weathered look, and I then used 1/8" pin stripe tape to simulate hull plating and then dab brushed on the "Blue Grey", over the tape and lightly in between.  I immediately before the paint dried, pulled the tape.  After the paint set, I lightly scribed in vertical lines with my #11 xacto blade to show plate joints.  I'm playing with some "Rust" color for that effect, trying not to over-do the rust.  I think its gonna work over-all.  From what I have read, the Lexi was pretty worn looking, since she missed her haulout sched. in Hawaii, then was sunk.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 06:24:03 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 01:49:20 am »

Status to date:  the upper half and lower half of the hull has been joined and final painted, prop shafts mounted and rudder.  AA gun tubs have been added just below the flight deck fore and aft. Recessed portals on port and stbd have been installed and painted. Work has begun on the first of "many" AA guns (20mm Oerlikon gun) shown with PE upscale details, such as shield, gun sight, shoulder rests and adjust wheel added.  I have provided a scale so that one can see the tiny size of this instrument of torture.  I will be at this a while, if I don't lose my mind before they are all completed. {:-{   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 01:49:58 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 01:50:22 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:57:06 pm »

Wowsers Dennis, they are good little models in their own right.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:48 am »

yes, each is an individual kit.  The 5" guns have a total of 6 parts including the PE.  I have finished and mounted the 28mm gun, with its site guarded by two 50 cal. machine guns which include a gun site and sholder supports.  I am working on 3, 5" guns, one of which has the PE added so you can get an idea of detail. they need painting before gluing to the tubs.  Got 9 more to make of each, I think.....

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 05:39:12 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 05:39:35 am »

more.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:32:28 am »

Dennis,

Your starting to tempt me into building one at this scale! keep on going....

Rich
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 04:22:25 am »

AA guns and deck netting has been taking up most of my time here folks. For section of flight deck is now mounted.  I made up (24) 20mm cannon for fun.  Yes, you should do a model at this scale (1/350)... nice challenge for sure.  Into ships boats now.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 04:22:50 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 04:23:11 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 04:23:37 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 11:33:09 pm »

In the last photo, is that recess for a boat with a platform added to ship the Oerlikons outboard, and if so now was the boat to be Launched?

Were the weapons tipped overboard in an emergency or was the boat removed?

She is looking good Dennis  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 12:46:03 am »

I wondered that myself.  The "tray" actually rolled in and out of the recess for the 20 mm AA's ... the next two recesses on the port side will house some of the ships boats and will be raised and lowered by davits standard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.