The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Aerokits Sea Queen. Going brushless in 2017

(1/23) > >>

Davo:
Built in 1966 my Sea Queen spent some time in the 70s with a Merco 61 as power. After some 25 years in dry dock I decided this year that the Merco would go for the simplicity of electric power.
Being new to all the latest electrical equipment I decided to install a Graupner 700BB with a 12V 5000 mAh SC NiMH battery and using the existing 2026 alloy two blade propeller.
Performance was quite acceptable. With the battery amidships below the cockpit it floated level and the bow came out of the water for a convincing scale speed.
However, success with a Sea Nymph going brushless with a 2028 motor lead me to believe I had maybe gone down the wrong road.
So, after much reading of the articles on brushless motors, I bought a Tornado Thumper V3 3542/05 1250KV and mounted it on another 700 engine mount so I could swap motors easily if things went wrong. A Hawk BL 60A HV brushless controller took care of power distribution. Looking at the installed tiny outrunner, less than half the size of the 700BB (and much lighter) I thought I had made a mistake.  Given these are really aero motors I mounted a 60mm dia computer fan with its own 9v battery to blow air through the motor.
Taking to the water with the same battery and prop was a revelation. Probably twice the speed with the boat on the plane as I remember it with the Merco 61.  I will experiment with other propellers and of course maybe higher voltage. Brushless motors are without doubt the way to go.
The picture is with the 700BB. (no one around to  take brushless pictures!)
David

canabus:
Hi Davo
Nice engine swap.
OH, THE POWER OF BRUSHLESS!!!!!

If you go to 4S Lipo you will can about an extra 3500 rpm.
That if the ESC will take 4S.

Note the power rating for the motors are on the maximum voltage they can handle.

Canabus

Davo:
There are still some minor works to be done. A brass framed screen will be added and I may reinstate the window frames but cut from brass sheet. Would be nice if there was an etched brass set available!
The Merco water cooling pipework still exists and was used for the brushed controller. Now I know this will not be going back in I may devise a brass assembly to water cool the engine mount frame.
I have also made a harness to put two 7.2v batteries together for a 14.4v set up. Classic boating at it's best.

(Still getting used to the University Challenge each time I post.........)

derekwarner:
Dave...

From the image Sea Queen 200.jpg below. the windows appear  :o to have condensation......with the 60 mm pillow fan, is the a sufficient opening the cabin to provide fresh air for the fan?.....and so following on is there a corresponding outlet for the warm air from over the motor?

Derek

JB:
The photo of your Sea Queen takes me back to 1967 at my old haunt of fleetwood lake in Lancashire!

A lovely pic  :-))

Well done for resurrecting the boat.

Lots of video online if you know where to look..

A few here for your interest..... and everyone else's I would think (hope?)  O0 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJPgeUVAM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6JQ7bopdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlaZmZJ0cGA

Enjoy folks..

JaB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version