Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Queen. Going brushless in 2017  (Read 1195 times)

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Aerokits Sea Queen. Going brushless in 2017
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »

Hi All
Generally all the motors from Hobbyking I have purchase came with the spider mounting bracket and screws.
All the motors I have purchase had the specs for the motor with required ESC, battery, power and all the required sizing.
Also they have water cooled motor mounts.
The 540 motor mounts handle the 35mm brushless motor, but, the red uni joints do not handle the extra power of the motors.
Banggood have a good range of metal ones(part No.87379).
I have not installed water cooling in any brushless motored boats as they only get very hot with over prop-ing the boat.
Yes I have done it, but, not kill a motor or ESC!!!
One of the  problems is no specs on water prop size and loading for model boats!!!
Another is very limited specs on motors and required ESC's, also maximum voltage.

The SG is on my bucket list to build(I have the PLANS !!!), but, I have a few other projects to finish first.
Also one of the club member has two which he does not use, so, I am working on that angle at present.
Old buddy, old pal, old mate, fellow club member!!!
Including a water thrust tester which is one for my mad idea's and maybe a total failure!!!!
This also has a Watt meter, motor RPM, motor Temp, battery Voltage and thrust scales or weights.

Canabus

Davo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »

Anyone building a Sea Queen should look to improve some areas of construction. The cabin roofs should have several profile formers, not just the ends and centre one, as the roof panels can sag with time.  Maybe make a one piece front roof (as per my Sea Nymph models) as it does look better (in my opinion) This design removes a roof joint.
At the bow add thicker timbers to the stem for fixing the ply skins to; this gives added strength. During the 1991 refit of mine I added a Kevlar strip down the bow as the ply to stem joint was looking a little weak (probably a few concrete pond edge collisions!)
Fill any voids (bow area) with expanding foam. My SQ had foam forced up into the voids under the deck for emergency buoyancy. It could get quite busy at Wanstead and collisions were not infrequent. Add in the drive by CB radio enthusiasts (1970s) whose radio signal would scatter our models in all directions for a few minutes.
The advent of powerful brushless motors has allowed enthusiasts to build traditional wood/ply based boats and still get good performance; many years ago only the preserve of fibreglass or vac formed hulls. It is great to see so many traditional boats being built on Forum threads.
David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »

It's a pity that the 3mm motor mounts on the Cornwall Model Boats web-site don't have a drawing showing the hole centres and diameters to make it easy to choose the right one.

I've emailed them to ask which one will suit my motor.

From another forum site posting I found that a 600 motor mount has the correct 25mm spacing for my 42mm dia motor but don't know if there is sufficient clearance between the motor casing and base of the mounting.

Peter Wallis

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »

I use the 4-Max.co.uk website for nearly all electrical needs especially those 'spiders' . . They have a full range for most outrunners .

Dare I say where possible I use the model aircraft supply base as items are far more competitively priced..........................

Peter W   

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 01:27:28 PM »

Peter - no problem with the spider as one came with the motor. But the outer holes are 50mm apart and I doubt that any right-angle mount is available to suit. I could always make one I suppose.

The inner holes are 25mm apart as per the 600 mount. I have found a supplier on Ebay that are the same/very similar to the Cornwall Model Boat ones and he does give dimensions. It is pretty tight for a 42mm dia. motor but should fit. I'll order one and check it out.

Chris
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up