Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Queen. Going brushless in 2017  (Read 24593 times)

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aerokits Sea Queen. Going brushless in 2017
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2018, 12:34:34 pm »

Peter.
Both are superb models. My preference would be the open cockpit of the Swordsman. However, if you are going to run in rougher waters the Huntsman is less likely to take on water; as might happen to the Swordsman.
Or build both!
David
David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:18 pm »

David - Peter already has a Swordsman, so I think the Huntsman is in addition.

Good idea to build more than one type though as that's what I'm doing! I've got a couple on the go at the moment, including a Swordsman (but the aft cabin version) and the plan is to build 4 or 5 different ones!

Whilst the intention was to stick with the wooden hulled boats I did pick up a Spearfish kit recently but will probably fit a timber superstructure.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2018, 08:42:34 pm »

The screen on my SQ was a quick job some 30 years ago. Looking at some of the models on this forum I thought it was about time to try and improve it. Using some brass channel I made up a frame I thought suited the boat.  I have also taken on a helmsman though I may have to move the battery to balance his weight!  I think the stepped cockpit floor and door suit the scale of this boat.  The Perspex can be slipped in to the channel and fixed with Canopy Glue. Navigation light to be added soon.

David
David

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2018, 09:12:58 am »

Looking really good. Where did you get the helmsman figure from please?

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2018, 07:43:30 pm »

A £5 action man at a toy fair. Had to buy some casual wear on eBay as the military kit and guns looked a bit agressive!  A brass tube seat has holes for a Velcro strip seat belt to keep him on board.

David
David

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2018, 08:07:10 pm »

Many thanks for the info Davo. Action man is go!

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2018, 09:03:05 am »

David you've made a very good job of the screen surround - what is your power set up !

Whilst I'm happy with my 600 Outrunner I am considering increasing the capacity of the LiPo 3S 5500A . My problem is that I use this capacity LiPo in my Swordsman . I built both Sea Queen and Swordman over 50 years ago .

How time flies......................

Peter W

North Hampshire

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2018, 08:42:43 pm »

Hi Peter,
If you have a scroll through the first page of this thread I have some motor details and pictures of the battery set up etc. It performed very well on 30amp line fuses but would blow them at extra throttle; so I have not seen top speed. I then fitted a re-settable 60amp fuse but never got to try it as I could not use my neighbours lake during the shooting season. The re-settable fuse gives a push button battery isolation which is handy. I am thinking of adding a fuse by-pass circuit with a servo operated switch. If I trip the fuse I can activate the by-pass circuit with a third servo and bring the model back on a low throttle.   I am avoiding Lipo batteries as I am happy with the scale speeds achieved so far.
This Sea Queen is now 52 years old and still going well. It has been great to see the return to traditional boat building in recent years; though I can appreciate weight savings etc that come with fibre glass etc. I am surprised there is not a fibre glass SQ hull available as it is a simple shape.
David
David

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2018, 09:35:40 am »

Yes David I remember reading about your fuse set-up . I built my S.Q  in 1963 when I fitted a Merco 61 with reed radio .  The smell - the noise were to die for .

I then fitted the old MFA electric first using a heavy gel cell followed by NI-MH . Good in their day but more recently moved onto a 600 Outrunner using LiPo .

Had a big search to find a reasonable priced ESC  but settled for a Turnigy 60A w/c set up and have never looked back . I keep things as simple as possible as I also use her off shore where she is in her element .

I have access to an excellent lake here in North Hampshire where I sail my big vintage model yacht .

Peter W

North Hampshire

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2018, 02:37:47 pm »

Peter,
We seem to have trod a similar pathway with the Sea Queen. I recall in Model Boat Magazine (my hobby bible back then) that these were often used for model off-shore power boat racing (pre fibreglass days) and are certainly in their element when the water gets rough. The smell of glow fuel and the joy when it actually ran are etched in my memory. I took the Merco back a few times to their Enfield workshop where a faulty end crankcase casting was diagnosed as letting in/out air and affecting running. Also it had a bent conn rod. All fixed and a ton of spares purchased. Recently sold it and all the new spares on eBay to a very enthusiastic collector. I would never have run it again so pointless keeping it.
The Turnigy ESCs do look very good so I may upgrade to a W/C version. The Hawk one I have does not have an ON/OFF switch so I have to rely on the Fuse push button.
David
David

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »

Yes David I guess we are - I'm still a builder really .

I cannot speak too highly of the 60A w/c Turnigy from 'Hobby King' and of course it has a switch and automatic cut out when the battery goes below a certain voltage . It is also compatible with a NIMH battery .

I still have both my Merco's and the smell still lingers in the Sea Queen . Happy days .

Peter

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2018, 03:14:54 pm »

I picked up an aerokits sea commander at the boot fair the other week, its on my restoration list now, just needs an engine, battery and radio gear.

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2018, 03:23:01 pm »

Peter,
Thanks for the note about NiMH compatibility; it is not mentioned on their site, only Lipo. They are very reasonably priced; as is the programmer.
David

Good to hear a Sea Commander is heading back to the water. Perhaps start a post on the journey!
David

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2018, 06:00:28 pm »

Hello David - yes the Turnigy info sheet clearly states NIMH compatibility .

My 60A ESC is suitable for 4-9 cells NIMH and the 30A the same number that seems strange . With my 600W outrunner I can draw up to 50A that I have registered when I use the watt meter as we do when flying our LiPo powered planes .

At least we all have interests other than being glued to the TV............................

Peter

North Hampshire

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2018, 10:18:47 am »

So, to conclude this thread on my SQ I enclose pictures of her performing well in her 53rd year on the water (though many spent in dry dock).
Performance met all my expectations without the 60amp fuse kicking out. I could also switch to the stand-by 30amp system (see other thread) as the RX has its own power. Performance was quite near its 10cc petrol engine days. It runs very well on half throttle giving a scale look.
However, the next weak link in the chain was the 60amp ESC which did a few thermal cuts outs; restoring power after a few minutes of drifting. It eventually proved too much and the ESC died. So a replacement of a much higher rating (120A?) and water cooling needs to be bought.
The Action Man looked well and suits the boat; though you do need a footwell in the centre deck. Moving the battery slightly balanced his weight.  The lack of spray in the photos is down to the four spray rails added to the hull as can be seen in the photo. I think the adjustable transom mounted trim tabs are also doing their bit to keep the bow down.
Looking forward to more running days with a new ESC.
David
David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2018, 10:58:21 pm »

I thought I was losing the plot this morning as I could have sworn I'd posted yesterday after seeing the on water pictures etc!

Just had another look and I had, on another thread!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2018, 09:24:42 am »

Chris
Sorry about the deja vue effect; hope you have recovered. I just wanted to put a footnote on this thread as well as the one re power back-up.
I have a HobbyKing 120amp watercooled ESC on the way to replace the 60amp one that died. It has certainly been a learning process for me.  I still find the power of the small brushless motors to be a revelation. The SQ certainly has a new lease of life.
David

David

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2018, 01:06:29 pm »

Just about, I'm easily confused!

Can't wait to get a powered boat on the water to see how these brushless motors go.

Chris

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2018, 08:23:31 pm »

Taking out the 'dead' ESC if found the Tamiya type battery connector terminal difficult to part. When it did separate I could see burnt plastic. Evidently I had made the connectors with male pins on both sides! Doh!
They obviously worked until the arcing of the poor contact burnt out.
With new female pins fitted the 60amp ESC was back in action.
The new 120amp ESC can wait on the shelf awhile.
Decided to repaint the original window frames and refit them again.
David
David

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2018, 09:26:05 am »

The next step is to get rid of the Tamiya connectors, these are renowned for failing with higher currents.The metal connectors are not gold plated so will get dirty creating higher resistance and more heat. They also tend to slacken off with use creating more resistance and heat. Both can lead to enough heat produced to melt the plastic together . Replace them with a more up to date connector with gold plated contacts such as an XT60, good for 60A continuous.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2018, 03:59:17 pm »

Jim
Many for the info thanks. I have ordered up enough to replace all the connections in the boat on the various hook-up leads. Should be all ship shape next time we take to the water.
David
David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2018, 04:44:24 pm »

Just checking the correct way to wire XT60 joints and came across an interesting video. It confirms the connectors will be perfect for my set-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEdysiZAYZ4

Looks like I have some soldering to do!

David

David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2018, 09:25:18 pm »

The SQ has now been re-fitted with XT60 connectors. During the process I found a broken joint on the fuse connector but all is now sound. It certainly sounds a bit more feisty. The XT60 connectors are difficult to part but that reflects the better contact areas perhaps. Maybe they will get easier.
Window frames were re-painted and fitted with new glazing. I may replace the missing vertical bar in the main window that was removed in a previous 'modernisation'.
The throttle control was moved to align better with the skippers hand. This left a hole in the dashboard; so using a 6BA screw and washer, I made up a little ignition switch to fill the hole. From it dangles a little key fob.
Nearly finished!
David

David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2018, 01:10:57 pm »

They say a model railway is never finished but my SQ is going the same way. I have posted the following in the Brushless Motors section but am adding it here in the hope of a bigger audience.

My Sea Queen was fitted with a Tornado Thumper 3542/05 1250 kv and a NiMh 12v battery. All was running well but the Taymia connectors were not coping. On advice XT60 connectors were fitted all through (I am ok on soldering) and all seemed well on the 60amp ESC. On the water the boat went off ok but soon stalled. I could here the ESC reset and set off again. Motor slowed and stalled.
Thinking the ESC was now the weak point I fitted a water cooled Hobbyking 120amp ESC. On the water the same thing again, motor just fades away. ESC resets and the same happens again.
On the bench, applying power, the motor revs up but then dies, even with throttle at max. Same in reverse. At neutral the ESC resets and the same thing happens. This happens with boths ESCs which have been set up with their programming cards.
So I bought a new 3548/05 900kv Tornado Thumper motor and fitted that. Same thing happens. Battery is 100% and neither escape makes any difference. Even plugging the battery direct to the ESC (no fuse in circuit) the same thing happens. The RX is on its own power. The TX has new batteries.
I am pretty sure all soldered joints are sound and so I am seeking any advice that might solve the problem. The XT60 connector replacements are the only real change in the system. Could it be a bad joint in the system failing under load?
Any thoughts folks?
David.
David

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2018, 01:21:18 pm »

Is it possible that the NiMh battery cannot cope with the massive power drain - just a thought and I am sure that someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to advise further. Have you considered LiPo power as this is the path I followed with my SQ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.