Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JB. Heart Surgery.  (Read 17009 times)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
JB. Heart Surgery.
« on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:02 pm »

The cardiac consultant came to see me this morning, we has a short...around 5 minutes...discussion about recent events and my present condition.

He is referring me to Blackpool Cardiac Centre. I am to be transferred over the weekend, at least that's the plan.

I will see what happens and report on progress.

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

deepstar

• deepstar
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Heart Surgery.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:42:00 pm »

hi john
you will be fine this is the 21st century
they are on top of their job
they do these operation day in day out

let us all know when you've had your op.

best wishes
deepstar

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:11:47 pm »

again, good luck JB................... I hope that any repair work that you have done works well and permanent, and returns you to an active life..

Jim.

just watch out for them mixing some car body filler..........it'll be a botched job, lol.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 10:32:38 pm »

Hi jb had open heart surgery Friday morning back home on Tuesday afternoon in march doing well hope you do the same regards Bill..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 12:12:02 am »

Welcome back to the land of the living JB!   O0
 Many Happy returns!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:59:53 am »

hi john
you will be fine this is the 21st century
they are on top of their job
they do these operation day in day outy77888

let us all know when you've had your op.

best wishes
deepstar
Hi Bill.
thanks for the pm's etc..
no problem with pens  :-))
Jag does 18mpg  ..bit more on a run...i dont do many miles a year so not a consideration..
keep well ..look after yourself..
More info about my treatment when i know anything, not worried at all  Second major op this year it will be...probably replace a faulty valve (not smoking related, I have discovered)  and fix a blocked artery.
JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:51:59 am »

Glad things went well JB. Seeing what the ambulance service has turned into over recent years, I reckon you would be better catching a bus to Blackpool - you're more likely to get one.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »

Get well soon JB, I look forward to see you back whittling boats again soon  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 02:57:54 pm »

Glad things went well JB. Seeing what the ambulance service has turned into over recent years, I reckon you would be better catching a bus to Blackpool - you're more likely to get one.

don't knock the ambulance service around WYRE and Blackpool, or the treatment at Blackpool Victoria. it is second to none....superb. I know a few people locally and they couldn't have asked for better.

We even have the Air Ambulance landing pad at BVH.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »

don't knock the ambulance service around WYRE and Blackpool, or the treatment at Blackpool Victoria. it is second to none....superb. I know a few people locally and they couldn't have asked for better.

We even have the Air Ambulance landing pad at BVH.

Jim.

Not knocking the emergency services at all - you obviously don't now that I worked in a hospital pharmacy for donkey years Jim, so I'm in a position to know. But like all public services, for that past God knows how many years, they have been starved of cash and resources by successive governments. Just check out the current BBC fly on the wall series called Ambulance around the west midlands to see how bad it is.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 05:03:52 pm »

All I can say is that the ambulance I had the other day belonged to somebody called St John...?

JB.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 05:08:38 pm »

Just as well it wasn't St Peter then....

All the best,

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 06:50:11 pm »

St John's as an association is a charity, however many of their ambulances (and volunteer staff - but are trained offduty nurses and paramedics) do in fact contract to the NHS. They provide private services that the government are willing to pay for via 'contracting out' A London company cover most of Lincolnshire and are due to start in East Yorkshire very shortly. They mostly do a fantastic job of backing up for the NHS services. Although the London company is in hot water at the moment for abandoning patients or not even bothering to collect them from home, even when it is life saving cancer treatments.

One does have to ask though, (not for st johns as I said are volunteers) why does the government think that a private company providing a means of transport and either one or two staff members depending on patient illness, is any cheaper than a means of transport with one or two staff provided by the NHS? Its nothing to do with saving money as they pay out for whichever service it is. It is in fact just privatisation of the nhs by the back door.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 11:48:12 pm »

In Australia, ambulance services are provided by State sponsored privately owned, run and administered bodies or groups uniformly termed as St John....[no plural]....in NSW, our citizens are covered by Government decree that a trip to hospital by ambulance is without cost......even for those without any form of health insurance

However similar to the old adage.........'no such thing as a free lunch'.....in South Australia......a 1 kilometre passage or carriage by ambulance to hospital results in a fee of $5.40 per km.....well that's OK  O0 , but the flag fall of $934.00 hurts <*<

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 08:30:08 am »

All ambulance carriage is free in the UK Derek. Its split into two, emergency and non emergency units. Its the non emergency side we discuss here. Here you can get either a nhs ambulance or a unit provided by a private contractor to the nhs. it depends on resources available to the dispatcher at the time.

As I said they both do an admirable job, although the private companies tend to 'let the side down' much more than the nhs staff do. For instance nhs often go without meal breaks in a 12 hour shift, depending on where they are. The private companies just stop, if that means missing a pickup it doesn't matter to them, the company still gets paid whether they ship a patient between hospital and home or not.

Its also broken down further, blue light (self explanatory) urgent 30 minutes, urgent 1 hour - handled by paramedic/technician manned units. Then what is called sitter 1 and sitter 2 units, that is basically a mini bus style ambulance crewed by either 1 person if the patients are self mobile or 2 staff if the patients need aid ie on a trolley. These latter units tend to 'bulk up' in other words, transport up to 6 patients at a time. So you could board an ambulance at 7 in the morning but by the time they have driven around picking up others, you might have covered 60 miles or more and arrive at the hospital 4 or 5 hours later.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 10:25:09 am »

Just as well it wasn't St Peter then....

Thought Model Boaters would
favour Charon's water taxi as a
means of transport.

Ned :((
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 10:27:26 am »

You mean 'Don't Pay the Faireyman' then?  ok2

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 01:05:36 pm »

Colin

They'll probably take a contactless payment off your plastic .
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 02:38:05 pm »

They'll probably take a contactless payment off your plastic .

But can you collect nectar points?

JB.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 02:38:59 pm »

How much does DM charge?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 05:56:28 pm »

All ambulance carriage is free in the UK Derek. Its split into two, emergency and non emergency units. Its the non emergency side we discuss here. Here you can get either a nhs ambulance or a unit provided by a private contractor to the nhs. it depends on resources available to the dispatcher at the time.

As I said they both do an admirable job, although the private companies tend to 'let the side down' much more than the nhs staff do. For instance nhs often go without meal breaks in a 12 hour shift, depending on where they are. The private companies just stop, if that means missing a pickup it doesn't matter to them, the company still gets paid whether they ship a patient between hospital and home or not.

Its also broken down further, blue light (self explanatory) urgent 30 minutes, urgent 1 hour - handled by paramedic/technician manned units. Then what is called sitter 1 and sitter 2 units, that is basically a mini bus style ambulance crewed by either 1 person if the patients are self mobile or 2 staff if the patients need aid ie on a trolley. These latter units tend to 'bulk up' in other words, transport up to 6 patients at a time. So you could board an ambulance at 7 in the morning but by the time they have driven around picking up others, you might have covered 60 miles or more and arrive at the hospital 4 or 5 hours later.

Yes, Brian is spot on again, I can add a little extra to the end...My wife (ex cancer patient..survived when they didn't think she would get past 2 years..15 years on now :-)) ) is entilted to hospital transport (what a weary pair we make eh?) had an appointment at ENT a few weeks ago, very often I take her to this one but... {:-{ so a car, a voulenteer (sp?) driver in his own car, collected her in good time and left her, she was supposed to be picked up and returned home after... the 'arranged' transport didn't turn up, so she was stranded :o I got a phone call from her at six pm...distressed and very tired...she can't do long periods out of the house without suffering due to the effects of radiotherapy, it is usually worse than the surgery to remove the cancer, she still bears the scars from that surgery and it's visible with normal clothes on :-X sorry to be descriptive but folk need to know all this, my stepfather eventually brought her home.

So it doesn't always go to plan.

I'm at home for a short while, It seems some members think I have had my heart op, no not yet, it's our weddding anniversary tomorrow, 36 this time, I managed to order  a big bunch of flowers and a hand written card, I did it online on my phone in the hospital, just in case !!!..delivered this morning, so I had my tea made for me! saved... :-)

latest is I'm on the list, need to wait a bit as It's not a small op, more later when I'm fixed..I hope 8)

JB>

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »

Hi JB,
As a fellow cardiac patient I wish you all the best for your procedure.
Myself I just had a second Cardioversion in two years, This is where they shock your heart to stop it then shock it again to restart it in the hope it will learn its lesson and settle down to a proper pulse rate.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 04:52:50 pm »

Hi JB,
As a fellow cardiac patient I wish you all the best for your procedure.
Myself I just had a second Cardioversion in two years, This is where they shock your heart to stop it then shock it again to restart it in the hope it will learn its lesson and settle down to a proper pulse rate.
Regards,
Gerald.

Thanks for the post Gerald, that's reassuring and I hope you continue to be well  :-))
My spellings going to pot! or is it...I'm not sure now  {:-{

2 nurses from Blackpool Cardiac Centre been this afternoon at short notice, checked me over, ECG, blood pressure, taken some blood..again...one, a matron, has re-referred me to a cardaic consultant at Blackpool, Preston not done things right so all that's scrapped !!!

My blood pressure is low when I stand up...80/40 :o not good, news to me no mention of it at Preston  <*<
My heart is not pumping enough blood.
The matron has adjusted my meds to help, I really need to take it slow until they can sort it out :-X

Ease down John...not easy... I know I push myself a bit too far.

A fresh batch of meds just delivered.

JB.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 05:13:25 pm »

Interesting , recognise some of those packets, stuff given me for hiatus hernia. That Lansoprazole either gives you constipation or the squitters . I alternate between.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.