The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

1/72 Scale HMS York Build

(1/31) > >>

jonggd:
Hello All, I am new to the forum and thought I would share my current build, a 1/72 scale T42 destroyer HMS York based on a Fleetscale hull. This will be my fourth warship build and as a starting point I have made the stand, next i shall start the framing and fitting of running gear. Regards Jon

davejay:

Hi Jon,
Firstly, welcome to the forum. The best forum for model boats bar none. You'll get some cracking advice on here and never be embarrassed to ask any questions.

The Type 42 were fine looking ships especially the 'stretched'42, I remember trying to 'cop' all the 42's at various Navy Days at Pompey back in the 80's which I and my good mate managed to do as well as all the Leanders and the Counties........ah those were the days when we had a Navy! The only ship we didn't get to see was HMS Unseen, not sure why! :}

Trying now to remember the names without googling!...........York, Gloucester, Edinburgh and...........?

Great thing about modelling the 42 is the amount of info there is online, unlike my most recent project, a BPBCo 71ft 6in Motor gun boat in 1/24 scale, there is some info but not a lot, the Vospers favour popularity for some reason!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress on this, I've always been tempted to try a 42 but always been put off by the complexity of the bridge wing area and just below that and also the varying angles of the bridge windows, I'll be interested to see how this is done and then possibly may be I'll have a bash at the 42 myself.

Kind regards, Dave

P.S Whats the hull below the workbench.....looks like a black swan class (probably wrong!}

jonggd:
Hello Dave, Thanks for the welcome.

Manchester was the other batch 3 T42.

The bridge will be interesting, but probably no more difficult than the Leander I have just finished, this also has compound curves to contend with. The hull under the bench is also a T42, but a batch 1 version. I was send in error and also got damaged in transit, good old UPS. I think the driver must have jumped up and down on it to cause the damage, any way I am going to try to repair it at some point. Jon

John W E:

Hi there Dave J

regarding information on the British Power Gun Boat - have you a set of plans by John Pritchard? for this particular vessel - as you can obtain a lot of information from these plans

Also, Christian (on this forum) / MTB Hulls is a mine of information on Coastal forces - he will surely help/point you in the correct direction.

John - just out of interest what era are you building your  model   type 42 from?  As she was completed leaving the dockyard or as she is now after her final refit?  There are vast differences between the two.

I myself built a model which is at 1:96 scale depicting her as she is now.  It has all the mods and cons.    If you would like a look at the build, it is somewhere on this forum under warships you may find the build.

John

jonggd:
Hello John,  I will probably build her as she was in 1998 after she had the Phalanx fitted either side midships. I have a look for your build, always nice to see how other people are getting on with their builds. all the best Jon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version