Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scottish Maritime Museum Irvine  (Read 3524 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Scottish Maritime Museum Irvine
« on: October 13, 2017, 11:54:12 am »

On Thursday 12th October I took a trip down to Irvine to visit the Scottish Maritime Museum. My last visit there was before it moved into its present location in thr Linthouse building, a former shipyard building. The original building is now a gift shop and cafe although the City of Adelaide was then part of the museum collection. Luckily she has now gone south to Australia where she will be getting the restoration work that was not being done in Scotland. There are 5 full size boats which I was able to photograph and I am including some of these here. There are a number of smaller mainly wooden boats, some indoors with others still outdoors and needing a lot of conservation work. The museum website has a list of all the boats it owns with pdfs to download giving information about each boat.
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
MV Kyles
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 12:00:39 pm »

This is the only boat that you can board as part of a guided tour. It is a flat bottomed coaster, larger than the puffers, used to provide food, fuel and any other suitable goods (no livestock) to the Scottish isles. Originally steam powered it was re-engined with  a diesel engine from either a lorry or bus. The captains cabin and galley show the height of luxury to be found on board for the crew. (The forward accommodation for the two deckhands was rather more basic.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
MV Garnock
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:12:27 pm »

This was an ICI tug used for dumping unwanted explosives until an accident blew off the rudder and propeller and causing severe damage to the hull. It was patched up then sold to the Museum, it is debateable whether it still floats and was aground at the side of the dock when I visited. It is in overall poor condition and badly needs some major work to stop it rotting away. The best that could happen is to remove it on to land but the money for this is not available. It does however look like a good one for eddiesolo to build as he likes his models dirty and rusty.
The Garnock is in an area normally closed to the public and I did have to get permission to get closer for photography, one requirement of this was no going on board.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scottish Maritime Museum Irvine
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:30 pm »

Some more Garnock especially the stern where the damage was caused.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
SY Carola
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:22:47 pm »

A steam yacht built in 1898 for the shipbuilder Scott of Bowling. Used by the family and in the shipyard it became a fire tender in WW II and became the property of the shipyard in the 1950.  The Carola was still sailed until recently but is now on land due to the condition of the hull and deck. In the 1940 it was modified to have a bow thruster and an extra small propeller each side at the stern driven through right angle drive units. The propellers have been removed for safe keeping as the phosphor bronze would be too great a temptation for local thieves.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:28:51 pm »

Hullo Jim......that engine from the Kyles looks very much like an old Gardner Inline 6........there were very few differences between the road version to the marinesed plant.....just a seawater intercooler & the gearbox of Fwd + Astern......without the gears  O0

Slow revving.....1200 RPM max.....the road versions [with specified oil changes] were reported to last to 750,000 miles before any minor work was required

In the image to the right [stdb], appears to be a single cylinder engine with a large diameter flywheel....obviously an auxiliary although I am unsure for what?

Oh......the Bridge seems to suggest that the ships wheel was steered from behind or aft of the bridge proper  :o
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
MV Spartan
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:32:32 pm »

Built in 1942 and not officially a Pufferr but a VIC (Victualling Inshore Craft) for the Navy as VIC18. Re registered as Spartan in 1946 and remained in use till 1980. The steam engine was replaced by a diesel in 1961 giving a big difference in appearance. While presently on land it could be put back in the water as it is still in good condition. (Beside the Spartan is one of the original boilers from the PS Waverly. An  oil fired  double ended scotch boiler. Its size is quite impressive.)

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:40:13 pm »

Hullo Jim......that engine from the Kyles looks very much like an old Gardner Inline 6........there were very few differences between the road version to the marinesed plant.....just a seawater intercooler & the gearbox of Fwd + Astern......without the gears  O0

Slow revving.....1200 RPM max.....the road versions [with specified oil changes] were reported to last to 750,000 miles before any minor work was required

In the image to the right [stdb], appears to be a single cylinder engine with a large diameter flywheel....obviously an auxiliary although I am unsure for what?

Oh......the Bridge seems to suggest that the ships wheel was steered from behind or aft of the bridge proper  :o

Hi Derek
the guide didn't have much information about the engine and access to the engine room was not allowed (health and safety). The wheel is at the aft of the wheelhouse, removal of the steam engine and boiler with the diesel ended up with this position needing the least work to complete. Ever since it was steered from the side of the wheel at the rear of the wheelhouse.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Lifeboat TGB
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »

A 47ft twin screw Watson class built in 1962, first stationed at Longhope in the Orkney isles. Overturned by heavy seas in March 1969 with the loss of all of her crew. It was recovered and served till 1979, saving 31 people during this time.
This is indoors and access around it is restricted, unfortunately they have not provided a raised platform at deck level as many museums do.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 02:36:21 pm »

That is a 6 L3b.Gardner  Marine engine 152hp at 900 rpm Best low reving  marine engine in the power range ever., if you were fit you could even hand start them.
The L3 range were never for road use

Although similar to the LW range they were much bigger and designed as a marine engine from the start.
Looking at the earlier picture in the thread it seems to be an air start version going by the longer fuel pump drive asswith th extension toward the back , so the single cyl engine was probably a compressor.

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 09:58:04 pm »

Great pic's Jim,
I very much enjoyed browsing, kept me busy for 10 mins
Looks a nice museum with lovely old 'working' boats
Thanks for your efforts
Cheers
Mark   

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 10:41:54 pm »

...Hi Jim...

As ex Engineer on the GARNOCK I enjoyed your pictures...When the "Bang " happened i was standing on the after deck and was blown up the side of the engine room casing by the blast...She never leaked a drop of water after the blast blew the Skeg, Kort Nozzle and Propeller Blades off...The damage that finished GARNOCK as a working boat was that the main prop shaft was pushed forward through the Thrust Bearing and smashed the Gearbox Casing...The engine was still running until I stopped it then shut off all necessary safety valves...The old crane in the background of one of your pictures used to be on the wharf further down the harbour...I was the last person to operate it before it was deemed unsafe by the Harbour Authorities...

...Best Regards...Norry Mason...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 01:53:42 am »

Looking at the earlier picture in the thread it seems to be an air start version going by the longer fuel pump drive as with the extension toward the back , so the single cyl engine was probably a compressor.

While we are guessing :o....could this be a Lister single cylinder petrol LD Series air cooled engine?......then driving the compressor?...which is just out of view?......Broom & Wade [latter Broomwade] made a series of single and twin cylinder compressors for marine applications [improved inlet air filter]....these were with manual unloaders that were popular in the 1930's & 40's

Gardner, Lister with Broom & Wade were all names in small vessel motor propulsion  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 12:36:10 pm »

While we are guessing :o ....could this be a Lister single cylinder petrol LD Series air cooled engine?......then driving the compressor?...which is just out of view?......Broom & Wade [latter Broomwade] made a series of single and twin cylinder compressors for marine applications [improved inlet air filter]....these were with manual unloaders that were popular in the 1930's & 40's

Gardner, Lister with Broom & Wade were all names in small vessel motor propulsion  O0

Derek

Hi Derek
I have cut down the original to give an enlarged picture of this. Unfortunately cutting it down in size for the forum does reduce the quality a bit.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 02:20:20 pm »

From what I can see, I would put my money on a Lister. :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 03:58:19 pm »

I am just down the road from the Irvine museum and sail our boats in the new out side pond.  Would you like a closer photo of the cylinder heads. I could do this once my poppy duties are done.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 04:03:09 pm »

I am just down the road from the Irvine museum and sale our boats in the new out side pond.  Would you like a closer photo of the cylinder heads. I could do this once my poppy duties are done.

hi paul,

I do think someone on here would like you to take some photos of the fore deck anchor windlass, as they posted here a few days ago.....           http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59147.0.html

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 07:04:42 pm »

It looks like a Lister to me...My Dad had a similar engine which drove a large belt driven saw fro cutting logs...Neil...I think it was GARNOCK,s Forward Winch that someone was looking for pictures of...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »

It was Garnock's anchor windlass wanted and I posted photos I took when I was there.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.