The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Another Huntsman rebuild

(1/87) > >>

Capt Podge:
Whilst wondering what to build next - I've got quite a lot of plans stored away - got a call from a relative who has had this Fairey Huntsman withering away in the loft for X number of years. The upshot of this is that, rather than allow it to disappear altogether, he asked if I could take it off his hands, otherwise it would be taken to the tip.

Well, being one of those people who hates to see things get thrown away, I agreed to "have a go" at restoring it.

The boat measures 34" so I think it must be a Huntsman 31 model. Whoever built it originally fitted it out with an IC engine but that was removed before my in-law got it.

I knew, as soon as I saw it, I was in for some serious reworking.
In this 1st photo the boat looks ok but, once the lid came off, I cringed at the thought of stripping this hull down...in fact, the upperwork more or less crumbled away - the wood was spongy with dampness. I can only assume that a lack of drying out after sailing contributed to this?

However, with the hull being fibreglass, the boat is still salvageable...

photo 1: the boat as received
photo 2: what was left inside
photo 3: the deck ripped off and various components removed
photo 4, 5, 6 & 7: some of the "gunge" to be dealt with...
photo 8: a start made - it has taken 4 workshop sessions just to get this far and, oh boy, my finger ends are stinging!

Well, any progress is better than no progress.

Regards,

Ray.

canabus:
Hi Capt Podge

I am into the same boat!!!
In your case replacing the frame would be the way to go and making frame 1 to the bow a sealed area.
Mine had the combing for the whole cabin to fit down onto, but, none at the bow and stern.
I add these to slow water off the deck.
As with yours I removed the IC motor and remounted a brushless motor, also filled in the exhaust outlet.
The cabin on mine is a bit of a pigs ear at present(working on that), the windows are all to be replaced.
At present I am veneering the deck.
If you require help I have some good info and plans that will help you out.

Canabus

Capt Podge:

--- Quote from: canabus on October 14, 2017, 08:43:49 am ---If you require help I have some good info and plans that will help you out.

Canabus

--- End quote ---

Thank you Canabus, that is good news - I don't have the plans for this boat, I'm just winging it for now, although I've picked out a number of photographs of the real thing for guidance.
My intention is to install twin props and rudders and will attempt to keep the angle of the shafts as narrow as possible. I've got a couple of brushed 540 motors to install when I get to that stage.

I managed to save a few bits of the cabin and will use these as templates to make up a new one. If all goes well, I'm going to attempt to make the cabin as a plug to make a fibreglass mould.
I have never tried making anything in fibreglass so it will be a new experience for me.

Hope to get a bit more done this coming week.
Also, I'll be keeping an eye on your build and hopefully picking up some tips along the way.

Regards,

Ray.

canabus:
Hi Capt Podge
If you email me I can help with plans.

Canabus

canabus:
Hi Capt Podge

A link to my Build!!
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,58525.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index