Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atlantic 21 MkII - B560 'RNLB British Diver' - [Lesro] 1/12th scale build  (Read 3848 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?

If 'Variety is the spice of life' is true, then I have a workshop full of 'curries'!!
Whilst still recuperating from my 'soft tissue' damage to the left leg and applying the Doc's advice through the acronym RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation so that I can make the 'Warwick' Show I have found that 'elevation' does not aid modelling progress. So in search of a small project where I could at least do something for a few minutes, I decided to start work on the Atlantic 21 remnants that 17-09 donated to me a few years back and something which he had been given. One has to say it was in a very sorry condition, but I did not want to see it go to the local tip, so stored it. Now was the time to start, as I have done a number of Shows on my own this year and already have similar Shows in the diary for next year. Therefore, something small and different on the model front to add a different feel to my on going projects and displays, also something that would not stay in 'grey' for too long [I can hear the chuckles from the Isle of Sheppy from here!!]. Albeit, the RIB is mainly grey..............hmmm. I believe the kit is no longer made and you will notice I already had the RNLI plans in my 'library'.
Right, down to the process. A few years ago I purchased a part completed and painted Tamiya F1 Williams FW7 kit [another of my passions] and after a visit to the website Britmodeller [well worth an inspirational visit it you like plastic!] I read that Fairey Power [an oven cleaner] would remove enamel and acrylic paints. Thinking this was an American product I gave it no more attention, until I saw some in Sainsburys! I took it home, placed the model in a plastic bag, sprayed it and kept an eye on the chemical progress. After some twelve hours all the paint washed off - some crevices being helped along with a toothbrush's scrub. So, I have now done the same here with the RIB section of this Atlantic 21. The photos will speak for themselves and I hope to progress onto the seats, fixtures and fittings tomorrow.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

I forgot to say, it looks as if this had been converted to a single shaft R/C model at some time in its life, but I was only interested in making it into a static display model.
Here is the final photo.
C.C.

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

Looks like it needs a coat of "Belcher Grey" to me.... :D :D :D
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Martin,
So glad you were the first one to reply!! Remember this from a few Dortmund Shows ago??!! >>:-(
I'm sitting here resting and going through several thousand photos, dividing them into lifeboat classes and then into individual boats - fun! Inherited them from a good friend [Gary] and am now trying to find their provenance [the single photographer] - I have a decent Met. CID squad on the case, so to speak!! They will be on sale at 'Warwick' at 10 for £1, with all money going to the RNLI - not long now - looking forward to those evening meals with you and your good lady. I hear on the 'grapevine' that a 'Blue Plaque' is going up in the hall somewhere!
Keep supporting Jose and Team.
Cheers, Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

I have not put the small parts into the cleaner bag yet, but yesterday I did decide to have a small session in the garden with this model, whilst the leg continues [slowly] to heal.
And yes it happened! On holding the 'tube' [schlauch - hence schlauchboot in German, thanks Arno] to sand and clean, the tube developed a number of cracks over and above those that had been already made from either internal or external impacts in its former lives [photo shown representative of six others]. Just as well this is only going to be a static model - it is obviously in a very brittle state. However, worth giving it another life, even though this will mean putting some strengthening plates inside and then patching the various holes.
I was attempting to clean the areas of paint off that the Fairey Power had not. I decided to use a 3M sponge 'scourer' with a little washing up liquid in the water, to stop the clogging [effective when using 'wet & dry' papers]. Eventually a crack started to develop along the hull to tube join line. So I started to help it on its way! 'Sod's Law' then came into play - it continued until the last two inches and then remained solidly fixed, whatever pressure I used. So I forced it and it came away, but not cleanly - it will not add much extra work compared to the rest. It will also allow me to use the badly damaged deck as a template for the new styrene deck. The pad worked well and did its job - first time used.
You will notice that the 'nose' if the hull has had some remedial work done. I shall have to look at the plans to get the correct profile.
I have attached some photos to show what happened and then one of an actual Atlantic '21 [B-526 alongside a '75 for comparison] at the Poole HQ of the RNLI.

Bibo

• Shipmate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/derbibo/sets/72157626968713066/
I have taken the pictures by myself of the RNLI - B Serie - Atlantic 21 - B-531 - "Waveney Forester" roughly about 1985 in Gorleston / Great Yarmouth.
At this time I have been a sailor and I have been visiting the RNLI Station.

Best regards from Germany :-)

Bibo

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Bibo,
Very many thanks for the photo link - they are great and the best shots I have got so far for close-up detail. Thanks for your interest. Your model is great too, I must say!
This MBM site Forum is superb as it means we share in this way and also I have made another German friend [in fact four including his family ladies] in recent months Arno, who visited two lifeboat stations with me in August and has come back for more [another week] starting yesterday. Later in the week we hope to visit Newhaven and look at their Severn Class.
Again, my thanks for your interest and help.
Regards,
Kim [C.C.]

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

I forgot to say, it looks as if this had been converted to a single shaft R/C model at some time in its life, but I was only interested in making it into a static display model.
Here is the final photo.
C.C.

Hi C/C

Back in the distant past I had one of these and yes it only had a single shaft, the speed controller was a bob's board, power was supplied by six sub "C" cell's running down each side, steering was via the two outboard's. just did not work. just wish I still had it.

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.