Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to 'My Hobby Store'  (Read 9844 times)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What happened to 'My Hobby Store'
« on: October 18, 2017, 07:22:23 am »

Hi,
Does anyone know what happenend to "My Hobby Store"website? I wanted to buy a Glynn Guest kit but just been stopped in my tracks, can these be bought elsewhere ones complete with wood kit? or are they lost forever like many other model shops  :((

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: What happened to 'My Hobby Store'
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:48:56 am »

Went bust when marine modelling international went down 2 months ago.
The plans will be online soon though
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:10 am »

I know that Sarik are taking over quite a bit of this trade, maybe worth a look here?  ... http://www.sarikhobbies.com/
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:00:51 am »

Klunk is incorrect in saying that MyHobbyStore 'went bust'.

The retail business of MyHobbyStore, together with the rights to market the MHS Plans Service were taken over by Traplet Ltd in 2016. Unfortunately Traplet went into administration on 18th July.

Some of their assets were subsequently purchased by Sarik VacForm who set up a new company ‘Sarik Hobbies’ to sell the woodpacks and plans etc. Sarik have an advertisement in the current (November) issue of Model Boats magazine and will, I understand, also be advertising in the Winter Special issue due out at the end of this month. They are in the process of setting up a new website for the retail operation and this should appear soon. In the meantime, if you know which item you want, especially plans, it is worth contacting Sarik on the phone number or email address given on their website. http://www.sarikhobbies.com/

I hope this clarifies things.

Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:20 am »

Hi,n
Does anyone know what happenend to "My Hobby Store"website? I wanted to buy a Glyn Guest kit but just been stopped in my tracks, can these be bought elsewhere ones complete with wood kit? or are they lost forever like many other model shops  :((

Which kit?  It's possible that someone could at least provide the plans if you ask. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:21:18 am »

Ask Sarik, they may be able to sell you the kit now - see my post above.

Colin

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:55 pm »

Which kit?  It's possible that someone could at least provide the plans if you ask.

That I cannot answer I had around 7 or 8 models I liked when I last looked so was going to see what took my fancy this morning  :-)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 12:23:12 pm »

Klunk is incorrect in saying that MyHobbyStore 'went bust'.

The retail business of MyHobbyStore, together with the rights to market the MHS Plans Service were taken over by Traplet Ltd in 2016. Unfortunately Traplet went into administration on 18th July.

Some of their assets were subsequently purchased by Sarik VacForm who set up a new company ‘Sarik Hobbies’ to sell the woodpacks and plans etc. Sarik have an advertisement in the current (November) issue of Model Boats magazine and will, I understand, also be advertising in the Winter Special issue due out at the end of this month. They are in the process of setting up a new website for the retail operation and this should appear soon. In the meantime, if you know which item you want, especially plans, it is worth contacting Sarik on the phone number or email address given on their website. http://www.sarikhobbies.com/

I hope this clarifies things.

Colin

Thank you very much Colin very very helpful as always I will contact Sarik and ask  :-))

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 04:25:37 pm »

Paul

If you are free tomorrow (19th Oct) I will be coming down to the Swiss Cottage in the morning (10.30 to 12.00), I can bring my old copy of the plans handbook.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 06:18:00 pm »

Paul

If you are free tomorrow (19th Oct) I will be coming down to the Swiss Cottage in the morning (10.30 to 12.00), I can bring my old copy of the plans handbook.

Hi,
Unfortunately I'm not I've got to work all day  :((   but thank you for the offer,
I think I might build the Vosper MTB So just need to get the plans for that, I've got plans to build the pilot boat (not sure if the was Glyn Guest?) but I will get the wood for both and start one of those shortly, I spoke with Sarik this afternoon and they said all the kits will be released but they have nothing on there computer systems for prices as yet to sell one now, but they are hoping for most if not all will be available after next month to coincide with the release of Novembers Model boat Mag  :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:35:47 pm »

Hi,
Does anyone know what happenend to "My Hobby Store"website? I wanted to buy a Glyn guest kit but just been stopped in my tracks, can these be bought elsewhere one's complete with wood kit? or are they lost forever like many other model shops  :((

Trying not to be 'snotty' about it, but My Hobby Store were never a Model Shop. Just another online source making life difficult for proper model shops.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 06:48:58 pm »

That's a bit unfair. These days, 'proper' model shops cannot really survive without an online presence. It's a competitive world out there and you have to go up against that competition, not complain that 'fings ain't wot they used ter be'. Nobody owes you a living.

Colin

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 07:04:25 pm »

model boat kits ,,magazines etc  are not the only people to be downed   ,but there you go it is a dog eat what ever out there .

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:09 pm »

The reality is that most modellers will order direct from China or from Ebay to get low prices rather than support their local model shop which probably doesn't stock what they want anyway. It's no good bemoaning this, times have changed. Not dog eats dog, just the market in operation.

Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:22 pm »

That's a bit unfair. These days, 'proper' model shops cannot really survive without an online presence. It's a competitive world out there and you have to go up against that competition, not complain that 'fings ain't wot they used ter be'. Nobody owes you a living.

Colin

And where are they now, another half hearted attempt to be a 'model shop', without having to trouble themselves with things like dealing with customers face to face, keeping a full range of items in stock etc etc, rather than just cherry picking the top sellers, leaving everyone to pick up the scraps. Goodbye, along with others that I can think of, and don't let the door hit you on the 'bottom' on the way out :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:27 pm »

Yes, that is right to an extent. I think MHS saw themselves as an intermediary between China and UK customers but the margins didn't work out. The Traplet operation was slightly different but was pulled down by the failure of the magazines which were losing market share over a sustained period.

Those UK model suppliers in business on the internet do frequently rely upon China suppliers but exercise a degree of quality control and provide a UK contact point which is very useful. But they don't provide face to face contact with customers either unless (in some cases) you are prepared to travel to the other end of the country or travel to the shows they attend.

Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 12:10:20 am »

I have the greatest respect for those online suppliers who have built their businesses based on hard work and customer service ( we know who they are, most weeks they are recognised for their efforts on this forum, and deservedly so.), as well as those retail outlets who have done the same. It is just that those in it for the quick buck that make my blood boil!

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 08:16:27 am »

Paul
I have a new set of the Thornycroft MTB plan number mm327 that i got before they stopped trading,

As I am just up the road from you would you like to meet up and have a look at them??

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 02:38:30 pm »

A good question with no reasonable answer tendered.

The conspirators will say something is up, as Model Boats AKA My Time................ off loaded/got rid of My Hobby Store or whatever to Marine Modelling AKA Traplet.

Both mags publicised the change and then publicised the traplet shop. Shortly thereafter Marine Modelling AKA Traplet, goes bust as does the store.

Strange that in the MB August edition the 'shop' is still advertised and with specials that expire 31 July 2017. That is in the August edition of Model Boats mag you can order specials from the shop that expired on 31 July 2017.

You wonder what is going on and if MB will end up the same as Marine Modelling????????????????????????? weird
Gunna build those other boats one day.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 03:30:23 pm »

Hi I think you might be looking for subterfuge that is not there.  The take up of building from scratch and the sale of plans is very low.  To illustrate that The Varmint plans were offered as pdf files to download and print for yourself, only 17 enquiries were made.  Is theat i per thousand editions sold?

I believe the plans supplied by Model Boats / My Hobby store were out sourced, where as Traplet had their own printing ability in house so less overheads.

regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »

Quite right Roy, it is very irritating when people with perhaps too much time on their hands and who really should know better ignore the published facts and conjure up conspiracies from their own imagination.

Traplet had been printing and distributing the MyHobbyStore plans range for a year before they went into administration as anyone who bothers to read Model Boats will be aware.

The failure of Traplet was unexpected. The August issue of MB was on sale well BEFORE the 18th July and printed at the beginning of July – hence the Traplet advert in it.

From what I have heard unofficially, it was the failure of the magazines which precipitated the situation and dragged the store down with them. Model Boats has been comprehensively outselling MMI for a long time and their circulation was way down. Obviously the shop side is deemed to be viable, otherwise Sarik would not be in the process of restarting it.

There is enough 'Fake News' coming from across the pond, we don't need it from the Antipodes as well.

Colin

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 02:33:09 am »

Unsatisfactory.

Example,The August issue of MB was on sale well BEFORE the 18th July and printed at the beginning of July – hence the Traplet advert in it.

Model Boats claims it is a world wide publication so obviously an error occurred in allowing a July date in an August issue. That indeed went on sale at those destinations in August. %% %% %%

Why unsatisfactory,  Oh yes Marine Modelling carried the identical add word for word, with the same July date in its July issue. So if they got it right and went pear shape how does that bode for Model Boats?? {-) {-) %% %%

Can go on but its not the point.

In passing, are there now any other 'English'  Model boating mags such as from the US???
Gunna build those other boats one day.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 06:36:01 am »

Somewhere above, was written, "nobody owes you a living". I agree that it is indeed the market working through. All the other players mentioned in this thread, including Traplet have been affected by market forces; nobody owed them (or their employees) a living either.  The accusation of 'out to make a quick buck' could just as easily have been a case of, forced by the markets to change direction in order to grow/survive and getting burned in the process.
A few months back we had someone post on here about how they used to run a model shop and the difficulties that this entails. Online retailers also come and go, I imagine the failure rate is higher than bricks and mortar stores. In the same way bricks and mortar businesses come and go, with a disturbingly high failure rate. Cottage industries come and go... I am sensing a pattern here.
In the past it was said that a company life-cycle (established, grows, matures, dies) was on average 37 years. In the current era, whole industries go through this life-cycle in less time.

Years ago, I used to scour the magazine shelves in WH Smith, looking for articles that grabbed my interest or vainly trying to find a solution/method of work for a project that I fancied undertaking. I could also go to the library for an often equally fruitless search. Now I go online and search for specific information, hints, tips, plans, even build logs (video and text). It is almost free, and highly fruitful. I think it is almost inevitable that hobby magazines are going to suffer, sometimes fatally.

Keep watching your screens, as A.I., big data and 5G will also be huge game changers. Big data is already rolling out in China, and 5G is not far behind. I have to remind the Tony Capstick in my head that it isn't a big conspiracy, it is progress. We will win some, and sadly we will lose some; but overall things move forward/improve.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 09:55:07 am »

Hi all, I think we are missing the point, the Model Boats magazine is selling well and was out stripping MMI.  I think that is market forces?  Model Boats Mag must have been the go to magazine of choice or had the better content and subject matter.
I used to have MMI on subscription until 5 or so years ago, now I expect I would have renewed but somehow it got overlooked. I did not realise this until 5 or 6 months later and realised I had not been looking out for it each month and decided I would wait for a friend to finish with his.

I was also on subscription to Classic Boat magazine and as I do not often go full size sailing now I was losing interest to the point where a couple of editions were still in their wrappers, so I ceased that subscription too.

There is to be a new editor for Model Boats magazine and I wish him well for the future.  I have had my interest kept up over the years by Paul Freshney, John Cundell, Vic Smeed and even Laidlaw Dickson, yes I am that old!  I kept nearly every edition I bought and have 50 years+ in the garage, mostly separated into years and in gradually degrading plastic bags!

I think one of the little things is that when ever I have contacted the various editors, right back to Vic Smeed I always received a quick and curteous response.
I remember talking to John Cundell back in '92 saying I was going to Germany at the same time as the vast Nurenburg Toy Trade Fair and he asked me to represent Model Boats magazine, sent me his visiting cards etc and I had a great day there. Followed up by an article in the magazine, which nearly paid for the trip.

Having said the above I cannot overlook Chris Jackson, past editor of MMI, with whom I had an equally good relationship, I would review the ocassional kit and met him down at Portishead lake where I demonstrated the Libera Ocean sailing boat I had just reviewed.  This is by far the fastest yacht I have ever sailed as it could plane and behave like a fast electric boat!  It held its own among the 1 metre yachts.

I do not think there are any vast plots afoot as has been suggested and I suspect if there are they would have been better hidden than has been inferred!
Regards to all, Roy

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 10:06:44 am »

In passing, are there now any other 'English'  Model boating mags such as from the US???

There is the quarterly 'Ships in Scale' magazine by Seaways from the USA

http://www.seaways.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.