Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D printed Micro boat build  (Read 3829 times)

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
  • time to sail the world and the 7 sea's
3D printed Micro boat build
« on: October 18, 2017, 09:05:34 pm »

evening everyone.

so ive decided to do a build log, of my first micro boat, which is a 840 coaster.

i found this model a few months ago whilst flicking through youtube. After a bit of research i found the kit to be made by a company called shapeways. The website itself seems to be an online market place for people who do 3D printing, and some of the items for sale is pretty cool.
This kit, and a few other are made by a guy using the user name Micro-boat-hobby's and theres quite a few cool models in his catalogue.

After waiting 3 weeks for the model to be produced and posted I finally got it today, and i'm really quite happy with it.. now i just need to wait for the running gear to arrive before i can get started.

Attached are a few pictures showing the parts of the kit..

happy boating :D

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3D printed Micro boat build
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:33:47 pm »

And it cost?
Regards Howard.

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:01:18 am »

And it cost?
Regards Howard.

Around £180 for the kit, however it does come as 3 separate kits.
1) being the hull itself £80
2) deck hatches and structure £40 I think
3) fittings £20
Then add on your usual postage and tax charges
The running gear cost about £40/£50 so call it £250 for the whole thing.

So you could maybe buy a larger kit for the same amount, however there's something about this model, and some of the others they have.

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:56:45 pm »

evening all, so here is the first real update on this kit. i have all i need to get cracking, only issue i am having is finding a suitable prop.  my soldering iron has been playing up too, so I'm going to pop out and get a new one over the next few days so most stuff Ive done so far, is in regards to painting, and making a servo holder..

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:40 pm »

for some reason my pictures keep rotating, altho on my laptop they are the right way up, ive decided to go with a leaf green for the upper part of the hull, and inside bulworks, eventually there will be a red underwater part, im using an N20 motor, with an action electronics P68A ESC, then a mirco servo for the rudder, the model does come with a servo arm attachment. 

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:24:12 am »

You might like to try running the pictures through a paint program.  This way, you could rotate them  (and enlarge them up to 100k)  and get the rotation the correct way around and bigger pictures as well .

Post one at a time and see if it's correct.  You then have around 30 minutes to alter your post before it becomes locked.

I look forward to your build as she looks a nice one.    :-))

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:48:37 am »

Try Picasa3, free from google. Lots more besides rotating.
..well can you land on this?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 11:25:27 am »

Google have now abandoned picasa .... :((

But currently, you can still get it from here: http://picasa.software.informer.com/download/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 12:28:32 pm »

Thanks Martin, I didnt know that.
..well can you land on this?

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 02:58:40 pm »

3D print material, especially the cheaper sort, is porus so plenty of paint on the hull and check it's watertight before fitting running gear.

A fellow club member is 3D printing a submarine and one of the challenges has been keeping water out of places he doesn't want it.

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 01:21:16 am »

Hi, yes I did think that when I was painting, it was starting to looks like I was painting of polystyrene. Looking at the build log for the ahts granite witch is the next one I want to build from them, it does actually mention using filler to smooth it out, something that isn't mentioned in this one, but I could go back and add some filler and sand it back carefully.
On another note would anyone know where to get a m2 prop 12,7mm diameter? The recommendation is for one from propshop, I believe they stnt taking orders at the moment, smallest one I can find is 20mm diameter.

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 09:00:59 pm »

so, im still fighting the rudder and servo configuration altho im hoping to get it fixed soon, thought id share with you the next micro model, AHST tug Granit..

running off 4x AA batteries to power 2x N20 motors, via 2x 10amp ESC.. and using a N700 motor for the bowThruster at the front.. cant wait to get her started

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 09:02:37 pm »

due to it being an xmas present i wont be able to post any updates till then.... im just checking everything over ;)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 07:39:03 am »

Hi Dan, what was the cost of Granit, please, also what length is it???

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »

These models are printed in a nylon granular material fused together in micro-layers by a laser.

They are NOT, repeat NOT, waterproof 'out of the box'.  You WILL need to seal the hull somehow - either by a very fine skim of resin or you could try spraying a coat or two of lacquer on BEFORE painting.  Don't assume that a coat of filler will do the job - filler is porous and will leak water just as easily as the 3D material.

They are made of the same material that we use for the 3D printed fittings for our ferry kits.  It is very strong but any paint applied will soak in like a sponge.  If paint can soak in, rest assured that water will as well - and your boat will sink.

For those not aware, Shapeways is just the hosting, printing and distribution company.  The models contained on their site are owned and sold by the designer who produced the model and uploaded it to the Shapeways site.  You pay Shapeways and then they pay the designer - less a percentage.  We have dozens and dozens of our ferry fittings on our Shapeways page but, other than a Ripmax cabin cruiser window I designed a few years ago, none are for sale yet.  We may get around to sorting out the 'shop' next year.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »

They are NOT, repeat NOT, waterproof 'out of the box'.  You WILL need to seal the hull somehow - either by a very fine skim of resin or you could try spraying a coat or two of lacquer on BEFORE painting.  Don't assume that a coat of filler will do the job - filler is porous and will leak water just as easily as the 3D material.
 and your boat will sink.

awww..................c'mon...................someone make a titanic out of it please............or am I being moronic............sorry if I've upset anyone.....

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 05:45:27 pm »

sorry to burst your titanic hopes but i would have been rather peed if mine had gone down, id rather know these things before hand than after.......

thanks for the advice on sealing it, i did notice prior that the paint was "soaking" into the "plastic.. i noticed on one of the other builds on the website that you should use 3 coats of filler, sanded and smother, "filling the holes". i thought by then painting and the laqure after that would then seal it..?

im having issues finding a servo small enough to fit in with the suggested servo linkage, im currently using a hi-tec micro servo. HS555 i think? a little research came up with "micro"/"Pico"/"nano" servo's.? has anyone any info or experience with these?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 09:08:42 pm »

Have a look at hobby king ,they do some very small servos

John

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/radios-servos/servos/sub-micro-0-5g.html

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 10:00:46 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.