Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alan Stephens plans  (Read 2154 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Alan Stephens plans
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:18:46 am »

At the Deans Marine open weekend I bought three plans of three pre-WW1/WW1 destroyers-
HMS Amazon
HMS Consort
HMS Peterel

For a start I thought they were copies of Norman Ough plans but on closer inspection I found a copyright of Alan Stephens with three different years- 1968, 1969 and 1971. On the lower right hand corner of each plan was a alpha-numeric system of A/3, A/5, and A/9.
Now I’ve never heard of this chap but not to say that I’m ignorant but I’ve done a few searches for his name with no results. The drawings are excellent and are very similar to Norman Ough’s layout for his plans of cruiser/destroyer sized vessels. What I mean by this is a GA at the top of the plan with fittings drawn at a larger scale beneath. I’d love to see others by this draughtsman particularly if he completed a drawing of the Beagle class destroyer of 1908-9 era. Any help would be gratefully received. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Alan Stephens plans
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:54:11 pm »

Nick, to get a flavour of the hulls etc, try the book the first destroyers. There are some very small scale plans which may help, otherwise it is an expensive trip to that rip off museum.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:59:03 pm »

Hi Nick, just remembered that book only deals with TBD's, to get a good plan of what you want is that robbing muesem, though I did see a really good scale of Amazon, it was A4 size in an American site called something Dockyard, it did show Amazon with three screws quite clearly though.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:46:27 pm »

LoyalHanna Dockyard?
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »

Hi Dodes, Ian

I’ve got the book in question and it does have all the GA of the TBDs and destroyer classes but I was hoping that the clearer/larger plans by this draughtsman could be available or at least known where they went. These drawings are very good and match Sambrook or Norman Ough in quality and clarity. Judging by the alpha numeric system employed on the plans there should be at least six more plans of the six classes of destroyers/TBDs.
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:04:34 pm »

Apart from the usual suspects such as Ebay etc, I can only say that patience is a virtue. Some or all will eventually crop up somewhere at a Bring and buy, online, or somwhere else likely.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »

Hi Ian

It was only by luck that I found out about these plans so fingers crossed that one day some more will come to light. :-)
Nick B

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:36:06 am »

Hi Nick, food for thought, believe you have the book "warships of the great war period" , looking through it last night I see they have a builders model of the Beagle in it, looking at it I see that the hull is virtually a larger version of the tribals with 3 screws. But if the model is in a museum not to distant perhaps you can go and see it and get some detailed photo's. But I wish you luck, because I think the boats from this period have real interest and not enough is modelled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.