Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Work room started at last  (Read 6655 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Work room started at last
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:56 pm »

Or using acetone to remove the surface finish of draughting film - that film really did wear out the nibs of the Rotrings!!!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »

we used to have our utility maps with the background printed photographically on the back, if the background needed amending it was out with the potassium ferro cyanide (a lovely yellow green colour the same as lime juice from the drinks machine) this was put in a disposable plastic cup and removed the photographic background, boy were we careful about drinking lime juice back then.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 07:21:26 pm »

Picked up a sheet of 18mm thick MDF today to use as the building board.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 08:37:31 am »

Chris don't work on that directly. It won't take too much gluing assembling etc before the surface is ruined and you need to replace it. Get yourself off to a local arts crafts shop - Hobbycraft is a good place to look. Buy a large cutting mat, I have an 1A0 size on my desk, but you could looking at yours get a A0 size. They might be around 15-20 quid, but in the long term work out cheaper than replacing the worktop every 6 months.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:04 am »

Thanks for the advice Brian.

The intention was to attach the build to that building board, the 18mm board is lying on the recycled head board forming the worktop at the moment, but I've since decided to use a thinner and smaller piece of MDF to attach the build to which will be better as I can move it around.

Due to the curved deck I'm building the right way up and have added some temporary nibs to the keel for fixing to the board.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.