Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scimitar Class Fast Patrol Boats  (Read 2982 times)

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
Scimitar Class Fast Patrol Boats
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:27:07 am »

These Brave derivatives seem to have been painted with a much darker grey than the rest of the fleet.  Does anyone know the colour?

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scimitar Class Fast Patrol Boats
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »

Sorry, don't know the colour, but presumably chosen as they were used as 'aggressor' boats. In the same way, the red on the bow may have been Soviet practice.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:38 pm »

Looks like it could be dark sea grey or extra dark sea grey as used on Fleet Air Arm aircraft. The only way to go I guess is to try samples of different greys on scrap plastic card (primed with the primer you're going to use on the model) and see which one looks about right. Remember though that photos are sometimes misleading to how a colour should look in reality due to reproduction techniques and computerised enhancements. Its really a case of which looks right to you. Definitely give the dark sea grey a try though.

I'm having similar issues with my BPBCo 71ft 6 MGB which can have three colours...grey, white on the hull superstructure and dark grey on the decks etc, some say the grey is 'warship grey', some say blue green but in fact it actually looks like duck egg blue, the white should be off white and the dark grey is a dark RAF blue similar to extra dark sea grey (Tamiya neutral grey is close)...........but problem is there is very few if any colour pics of chosen subject...........good thing is though that no one can argue the point without comparison.

Anyway, good luck with your quest and I hope I may have been of some help. :-)

Dave
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 06:15:46 am »

Looks like it could be dark sea grey or extra dark sea grey as used on Fleet Air Arm aircraft. The only way to go I guess is to try samples of different greys on scrap plastic card (primed with the primer you're going to use on the model) and see which one looks about right. Remember though that photos are sometimes misleading to how a colour should look in reality due to reproduction techniques and computerised enhancements. Its really a case of which looks right to you. Definitely give the dark sea grey a try though.

I'm having similar issues with my BPBCo 71ft 6 MGB which can have three colours...grey, white on the hull superstructure and dark grey on the decks etc, some say the grey is 'warship grey', some say blue green but in fact it actually looks like duck egg blue, the white should be off white and the dark grey is a dark RAF blue similar to extra dark sea grey (Tamiya neutral grey is close)...........but problem is there is very few if any colour pics of chosen subject...........good thing is though that no one can argue the point without comparison.

Anyway, good luck with your quest and I hope I may have been of some help. :-)

Dave

I did think of extra dark sea grey but the colour looks to have a greenish tint, so I wondered if they had borrowed some paint from a NATO ally.

Is your BPB pre or post 1943? From 1943, they used these patterns with white (well off white) G45 (the old Med Fleet grey) and a distinct blue grey colour called B15 for the decks. Definitely not duck egg blue.

Michael

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:24 am »

An old forum has the comment "the hulls were Light Admiralty Grey which is actually a blue grey."

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:27:39 am »

An old forum has the comment "the hulls were Light Admiralty Grey which is actually a blue grey."

BS381C 697 Light Admiralty Grey did not exist until 1950. It later became the RN's colour from circa 1955 to 1968.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 12:56:38 pm »

BS381C 697 Light Admiralty Grey did not exist until 1950. It later became the RN's colour from circa 1955 to 1968.

The 3 boats of the Scimitar class were operational between 1970 and 1981.  They were initially part of the 'Fast Training Squadron' which was used to train Royal navy crews to deal with the fast boats that were emerging from the Eastern Bloc countries.  As has been suggested the darker shade of paint may represent an "Aggressor" or simulated enemy role for these boats. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.