Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GALA GIRL (Springer tug)  (Read 44063 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
GALA GIRL (Springer tug)
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:46 pm »

Hi all,  With Brocklesby almost completed apart from the odd bit of detail I think of now and then,  I've had the urge to build something and another Springer will do nicely, fairly cheap to build and a compact size, after a rummage round my work shop I found I had most of the running gear, just a prop and coupling to buy and of course the plywood from SLEC.COM that came the next day.
So I've been having fun this week doing the drawings for Gala Girl, as I've chosen to call her, I say Springer, it's more Springer-ish, I'm modding the hull to get away from the inverted wing shape by having some flat areas front and bottom, it will be interesting to see if there is any effect the submarining tendency, and this time I'm determined to build slower, well that's the plan anyway.

Joe.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: GALA GIRL (Springer tug)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:49:42 am »

Joe good drawings a second career maybe ok2 . To slow you down perhaps the good lady could tie one of your hands to the bench or behind your back  %% , although not sure that would slow you that much. Think I will follow along always learn something.
Enjoy your build.

Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:52 am »

Thanks Colin, of course when she's finished your third bell will have pride of place on her wheelhouse. :-))
This build is something to do during the long winter days, sitting nice and warm watching telly is fine now and then but every day would drive me nuts. %%
So now I'm almost finished the drawings and have all the running gear and plywood together, so next I'll make the rudder, I don't know why but in all my scratch builds I've made the rudder first,  it's probably because I think of the rudder as part of the running gear if that makes sense, anyway I'll do a build log on her if only to keep me focused so after she's finnished I have a folder of photos if I didn't do a log I'd probably forget to take photos. O0

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:47:40 pm »

No what you mean about the TV. Hoping to get my shed finished over the next couple of weeks and get started on some modelling at last  >>:-(
Shall look forward to the build log always learn something lol. Rudder first is as good as anywhere to start just as long as you enjoy it.
Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 04:40:36 pm »

Made the rudder today by laminating pieces of styrene over the stock, I've chosen a fishtail rudder again as it worked so well on my first Springer. the fishtail is formed by having the two outer 0.5mm laminations wider than the two center 1.5mm ones then the over hang on the 0.5 ones are bent outwards and the void is filled with P38.   ok2

Joe

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:46 pm »

Looks a good way to do the fish tail. Do you solder straps to the stock to bury in the laminations or rely on just the glue on the stock.

Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:13:45 am »

The portion of the stock inside the rudder has several flat areas ground in, all the laminates are bonded with poly cement but the stock and the last lamination is bonded with epoxy, I make all my rudders this way now. :-))

Joe

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:19 pm »

I will give that a try Joe, see learning sfuff all ready lol

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 10:38:07 pm »

The only issue I can see with building her slower is that, with less to build on this model compared with the detail monsters that warships are, it will not take very long to build even slowly  :-) Perhaps you could build several alternative superstructures to fit on her to occupy you during the winter but not fill your house up with hulls.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 11:00:37 pm »

I hear what you'r saying Ian, I have resolved not to work on her every day and not to get too obsessed with the build as I've tended to do in the past I made the rudder two days ago and have been doing other stuff even went to Southsea yeterday for an afternoon tea at the Queens Hotel  shmbo had a voucher as a present £18 each we thought it was highly over rated and we were looking for the gold nuggets buried in the cakes  %%  seriously though I plan on doing a bit now and then I have to remember it's not just me that's retired

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:30:00 pm »

Good point Joe.

You will have to make an afternoon tea once a week for Mrs Joe and your good self that is better than the one you experienced in Southsea. I would expect a selection of sandwiches, a number of cakes and perhaps even a few biccies along with a good sized pot of good tea.

If you cannot get five cups of tea per person out of a pot then you have been diddled  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »

Your right there Ian, Afternoon Tea at home would be far better than the Queen Hotel, the finger sandwiches all had some kind of mayo, salsa, or chilly in them so that put the mockers on it for me I can't stand garnish like that, why do they and the likes of Mc Donalds and Burger King do that what happened to add it if you want it, it takes the us twice as long to get a big mac, after trying to explain to the zombie behind the till that we don't want any mayo or sauce, but they have only been trained to push buttons and you know by the blank look on their face that it ain't going to work >>:-( <*<   one of my pet hates, don't you know.  >:-o

Anyway rant over,, made a start on the hull today, I've put large fillets in the corners because I want to have a large radius on them.  :-)

Joe

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 08:49:23 pm »

Wow....$62.00 for 2 cups of tea & few finger sandwiches  :embarrassed: ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 09:01:36 pm »

That's right Derek, plus two small cakes and a scone and jam, not a price I would pay, it was a voucher my wife had as a present. {:-{

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 11:42:00 pm »

£36 would buy a nice amount of ply or plasticard  %)  just saying, but Jill would .......... <*<  Lol

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 09:32:50 am »

Your right there Colin, well lets face it £36 is enough to build the whole Springer, well as far as the wife's concerned anyway  %) %)
 %% {-)

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 11:28:42 am »

A little more done, trying to soften the corners with large radii, that's going to make the gunwalls a bit tricky, maybe heating and bending styrene,   ah well it's a challenge.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 05:10:59 pm »

A bit more progress, fitted the shaft tube/skeg  and rudder tube.

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 07:49:24 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Any novel ideas for the topsides? Weird and wonderful Springers seem to be the fashion at the moment!

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:02 pm »

Hi Greg,  she's going to be fairly traditional with a higher bridge than my first Springer, and no doubt the usual Pinups in the wheelhouse.  %)

Joe

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 08:43:13 am »

Looking good but I reckon you will be finished by Christmas  :-))

Peace Colin

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 08:47:14 am »

Coming on nicely Joe.
I am finding making the superstructure takes longer than the hull, worth the wait.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 07:36:03 pm »

You could be right there Colin, but the hull is the easy part, and as Stewart said the superstructure and detailing should take longer.

just a little done today, finished off the skeg, and formed a coffer dam under the fore end of the shaft to catch any possible drips, then a couple of coats of sanding sealer so I can float the hull to find the best arrangement for the internals, I'm only using one  5000mah 6v nimh battery I happened to have spare, so I'll find the best place for it and the rest of the running gear and any extra ballast needed, my first Springer carries two sla batteries and still needed lead ballast.

Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »

Your right there Colin, well lets face it £36 is enough to build the whole Springer, well as far as the wife's concerned anyway  %) %)
 %% {-)

Joe.

Yes, but joning Jill for afternoon tea and spending some quantitiy time with her will I am sure have earned you many 'Husband points' to bank for future show attendances etc  :-))

I lie how even with a model as simple as a Sringer, you have added extra tweaks like the scalloping of the rudder skeg, brill.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 08:36:59 pm »

Thanks Ian, yes even though Springers are fun boats I still like to make mine look kind of "real"  :o

Fitted the rudder/skeg rail and tried the prop in place, same set up as Gopha Girl it works well on her, the skeg rail offers some protection to the rudder. Changed my mind about the 6volt nimh battery and using a 2s 4000mah lipo I had spare, only 1.4 volts more but surprisingly more grunt to the motor, next I'll fit the running gear having done a float test to see the best arrangement, with every thing on board she's still about an inch too high so with the superstructure etc. she'll still need ballast.

Joe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.