Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37530 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 07:20:35 am »

Derek, I have no plan, totally winging it. Thinking of foredeck merging into sidedecks then after deck. One, maybe two bulkheads with doors. Some music, nice woods, brass and cushions. Not based on anything this time. Open to suggestions.
Rgds
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 05:26:12 am »

Had a bit of a break, moving house, (eldest daughter), cycling training for L’Étape Australia which I completed on Saturday. It was touch and go with the weather with floods forecast but Tour de France organisers, local authorities and police held their nerve and the event went ahead with a minor change and all had a really good event. I’ve also been acquiring tools and stuff but I’m still schooner rigged I’m afraid. Hope Father Christmas gets his finger out and brings me some more stuff. I’m also waiting for 200 tiny slotted brass countersunk screws to come from UK.
Got back onto it today.
This build has no plans or drawings, it all in my head a bit like an Arabian craftsman builds a dhow.  Today I divided the gunwales up into kind of equalise segments which just happen to be the same as the steam plant tray is wide which made the job a bit easier. I’m picturing the decks, I want camber and sheer so I’ve allowed for 2 cm of camber at the aft end of foredeck which still permits foredeck to slope towards the stern while rising in relation to foredeck gunwales. I made the main deck beam an arc of a circle that rises 2 cm to the king plank. Rough cut with Dremel router and finished on sanding station. The deck is going to be similar to “Wear” and “Wide-A-Wake” but modified to a radius at the stern to conform to the hulls canoe stern.
Jerry.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 07:50:13 am »

Bonjour Jerry,
As you build without any plan, how did you manage to install the steam plant base ? Do you know which steam plant you will install ?
That could impact the horizontality of the hull and you woul need to ads useless ballast.
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 09:02:57 am »

Hi, this is a link to the steam plant build. It’s a Bogstandard engine, a steam driven feed pump and a return Flue scotch boiler similar to the boiler “Patternmaker” used in his Wide-A-Wake build.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46477.0.html

Jerry.

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »

Hello!
I love this launch and I take pleasure to follow up the construction.
The milling of your steam plant is very interesting Jerry. I really enjoyed to follow up.
Just for info, I built the same launch and as you did, I cut the two first clapboards.
My engine is a 23cc (old Saïto) and the boiler: 1200cc = Big & heavy!
250/300 gr/H flare Gaseous phase.
No drawing either and just ideas that I am glad to share with you.
Fanny de KBIO _ Scottish Fifties
Thanks for sharing. :-))

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »

Hello!
I love this launch and I take pleasure to follow up the construction.
The milling of your steam plant is very interesting Jerry. I really enjoyed to follow up.
Just for info, I built the same launch and as you did, I cut the two first clapboards.
My engine is a 23cc (old Saïto) and the boiler: 1200cc = Big & heavy!
250/300 gr/h burner,  Gaseous phase.
No drawing either and just ideas that I am glad to share with you.
Fanny de KBIO _ Scottish Fifties
Thanks for sharing. :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:49 am »

Hi KBIO AND Rhavane,
1st Rhavane, for the trim I will use the principals of ship stability.
I take note of the weight of the hull, w,  and find it’s longitudinal Centre of gravity, gl, by simple balance method. I measure the distance of gl from the stem post. Multiply hull weight w by gl distance gives you a moment around stem post. Each item added to the hull has a weight, w1——— n and a c of g measured also from stem post. W1——-n multiplied by distance from stem post equals it’s moment about stem post. Take the sum of every moment and divide the answer by the sum of all weights(displacement) will give you the distance of the final centre of gravity Gl from the stem. This is theory only. In practice and using my eyes I can place each major, heavy item in the hull to keep c of g where I want it. When all parts are fitted to or in the hull I can adjust Gl by sliding the steam plant metal tray either forward or aft to achieve the required trim (by the stern). Ballast will only be required to achieve the required draft which is largely determined by the size of the propeller and visual aesthetics. The major problem is that the makers of the propeller I want had a major fire and is not taking any orders at the moment.

2nd KBIO, here is a link to my first launch built from scratch using original plans.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33737.0.html

Thank you very much for your picture. I am ok with building from plans, even ok with building from pictures  but am not very good at designing myself. If you are happy for me to borrow (steal) some of your ideas, methods and solutions I would be eternally grateful to you. If you are willing then please put some more pictures up and with your help I can move along with this build. Thanks in advance,

Jerry.

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 12:43:37 pm »

Hello Jerry!
No problem to "steal" my ideas that I stole from someone else, anyway! {-)
I'll be very pleased to help you  (if I can) by showing some images.
I envy your real launch (and the weather)! :-))
Regards.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 05:49:42 am »

It’s been a good while since my last post cos we’ve been moving house so have been very busy.
Before I had a workmate to work on in a garage but now I have a workshop in a garage with lighting, benches courtesy of “The Big Green Shed” and Gumtree. I’ve got some tools, Dremel drill press, router and table. I’ve got some shelves and storage space so I’m good to go.

Before I can proceed the hull needs a stand so I’ve made up a marking out board which I can slide along and clamp to the keel. Then it’s a simple matter to use a pointy stick to transfer distances from plank edges to the board with a pencil and pointer before transferring to same to a sheet of plywood.

I’ll show how it’s done when the glue had gone off.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 05:52:56 am »

I’m not enjoying this new picture system experience.
Here is the picture of the Workshop which should have lead the previous post.
Jerry.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 11:05:32 am »

I cannot see any pictures Jerry  ?

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 11:22:43 am »

<*<......the images were visible at about 1700 AEST Jerry....

[silly looking piece of cardboard about an A4 profile...& sitting on the inverted hull axis]....and [image of the workshop window with a bent curtain hook  O0]

Now,  they have vanished  :P..............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2018, 11:24:49 am »

Thanks for the back up Derek.

I've found some more missing on other threads but wondered if it might be my machine.

Happy new year

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 07:55:49 am »

Well the pictures seem to have been walkabout but are now back in the fold.
Today I transferred the profile of the hull in way of the forward stand station to the marking card with the marking stick using black ink.  I slid the the marking card along the keel,clamped it in position at the after stand station and again, using the marking stick I transferred the profile of the hull to the marking card, this time using red ink.

When the card was completed I removed it from the support and using sticky tape stuck it to the edge of a sheet of 1/4” plywood then using the marking stick I transferred the profile of the forward stand profile back onto the wood using the black lines. Then I moved the card along the sheet of ply and repeated the process for the after stand using the red lines. Finally I joined up the dots, used a blade to score through the lines to avoid lift of the ply surface the cut both stand pieces out with a jigsaw. A tiny bit of fettling with the sander and I have two templates for when I make up the finished stand. I’m on the lookout for some nice tropical hardwood for the job. I know nothing of Australian wood so I’m open to suggestions.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:24 am »

Jerry.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 11:09:50 pm »

Hi Jerry good to hear from you I must be lazy as all I did for a stand was bend some soft wire around the hull where needed ,transferred this profile to the timber and the edges were lined with foam door weather seal <Bunnings would have the timber you need.
Cheers
John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 06:37:03 am »

Hi again John, we must be psychic or something. This morning I made my daily trip to Bunnings looking for some wood. I got a 1200x300x18 board of engineered “Acadia gold Teak” for $20. Cut two pieces off for the vertical supports then trimmed the remainder to 56cm. I transferred the outline of the templates onto the two small pieces the cut them out with a jigsaw and tidied up on the sanding station.  I marked out for two blind 1/4” mortices on the base board and cut them out with the Dremel router and fence. Put a 2” radius on base corners finally gluing up with Gorilla glue.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 05:57:13 am »

So I’ve been working on the deck form and supports. All made out of 6mm plywood. I used the forward deckbeam as a template for the aft beam as it’s similar sized. I made the corner fairing pieces marking out with a compass and matching up angles on the sanding station. On the next session I’ll cut out the side deck knees and their mortices in the side deck stringers. I’m making up all the names of parts as I go along. Caution they are not meant to be technically correct. But feel free to correct where necessary. I won’t be doing any glueing for a good while yet because there are more floors, steering gear, servos propshaft and floorboards to put in before the deck goes on. I haven’t found suitable squat gastanks in Oz yet and until I do I can’t work out the tank securing arrangement. I’m still waiting for propshop to start making props again after their fire. I want a 3” 4 blade really coarse pitch (at least 4 1/2”) prop. I can’t make a rudder without the prop so thugs may come to a grinding halt soon.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:19 am »

Not sure if anyone’s interested but I’m camping on the shores of Lake Macquarie with daughter and son in law getting ready for them competing in the 505 Australian National Championship. The boat is called A Salt Weapon sail no 8738 and they are Sarah and John Macarthur-King.
This is a link to the Championship
https://www.facebook.com/Australian505SailingAssociation/
I’m the old, white bearded guy with the glasses on the right full of Thai dinner.
Jerry
https://m.facebook.com/Australian505SailingAssociation/photos/?tab=album&album_id=921425874621306&mt_nav=1&ref=page_internal#!/Australian505SailingAssociation/photos/a.921425874621306.1073741829.329902580440308/1472503466180208/?type=3&source=54&ref=page_internal

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 09:39:47 pm »

Ahah............

any day on Lake Macquarie at Wangi Wangi is perfect ...looks like the placing 7th is numerical %)....good luck to Sarah...keep us posted......Derek

PS.....I will get a map...& triangulate to find a good fishing hole.....it was one of the stacks at Wangi.....lined up with a HV 4 legged Eifel Tower type power pole and ??? <*< 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 11:36:44 pm »

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 06:13:47 am »

It’s been a while since I’ve done much to the model. I’ve been to the National Championships of the 505s and I’ve been looking for stuff for the workshop. I’ve found Facebook marketplace useful and found a scroll saw for $30. While searching I also found this and as I’d had to sell my bike due to semi migrating to Oz the price was too good to miss!

So this has taken up some (most) of my time. It’s a bit tricky riding a motorcycle in the temperatures of a Canberra summer so to get round it I got some motocross armour which is built into a net which means I don’t over heat and actually have more protection than a normal bike jacket. Trouble is I look like Robocop so tone it down a bit with a bright red T shirt over the top.
So, the model. I gave up on waiting for Propshop to start up again and bought a 14” 5mm propshaft and a Raboesch 4 blade 3.6”x 3.6” brass propeller from Float A Boat in Melbourne where I got the plans for S L Wear in 2011. The prop is not a patch on a Propshop one aesthetically but it will do the job and will let me carry on working. I can’t find any 1/8 scale (or any scale for that matter) checker plate in Oz so this was the nearest I could find from Bunnings. It’ll do till I get back to the boat in spring. I’ll get some in the UK and bring it out with me when we return in November.
The propshaft is in. I will rig up a dog drive as used on  Wear. Got a bit of resin to pour at the 'bottom' end around the inner part of the stern post then I can get on with fashioning a rudder and servo placement.

Jerry.

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 07:41:48 am »

Hello Jerry!
Glad to see you back at work! :-))
Just to let you know that, since Propshop is closed, I personally try to improve the "efficiency" and "esthetic" of the Raboesh props by sharping and polishing each blade of the propeller.
I don't know if it improves the efficiency, but one thing is sure:  it  looks more like a real propeller.
And what works at scale one, should work at our scale! Don't you think so? %)
I take pleasure to follow your work.
Have a nice day.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 08:53:50 am »

Hi Jerry hope you are enjoying the heat also love the bike but back to boats ,I have been around boats of all types most of my life and I cant recall seeing many if any props with bullet noses or have I missed something as they have always had a nut and pin btw have you had a chance to try out the bogstandard engine you built very interested in how it performs.
Cheers
John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:41 am »

KB10.
I agree, the main difference between the two makes is they propshop have the correct section through each blade similar to an aerofoil section. Roboesch [size=78%]has blades don’t have this feature. In operation I doubt there is much difference in performance. I may take the trouble to get lthe Dremel out and do a little shaping. [/size]

John,
Neither of the engines have “run” either on steam or compressed air. I did try one on air but the regulator passed a lot of air. The regulator was made before the steam pipes were silver soldered and has distorted. A simple remedy to skim bore oversize and make a new inner turny bit.  With hindsight I would have soft soldered them. I’ll end up giving the bits to my nephew, Ben whose little lathe I used to build the engines for him to remake them. It’s strange to move from the precision require to make engine and boiler to the “free spirit” methods I’m using now with the hull. The hull from new is distorted, one side a fraction lower than tother, port underwater section rounder than starboard. Design (in my head) has to remain fluid. It’ll all come good in the end.
Jerry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.