Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry’s second steam launch.  (Read 37912 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry’s second steam launch.
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2018, 08:46:56 pm »

So Jerry says....'please ignore the blue markings, they are from helping out a friend on this site'...

Oh yeah & he's still confused   O0 ...he had to stand on his head to read them {-)

With thanks Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:38 pm »

That's funny Jerry because I found the wood for my wideawke launch from old dressing table out the front of a house ,turned out to be walnut and oak
Cheers
John

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2018, 06:39:16 am »

Ive no drawings or parts list so I’m marking out in space here. Trying to expose sheer and camber with a bendy spine and some masking tape. I’m trying to show myself where the side deck knees want to be.

The knees are going to be in two parts. These are the side deck beams. Which will have supports fitted later when these are in the right place.

Beams glued into mortices in deck stringer guided by tape.

Thought I should make some provision for access to steering mechanisms this will be a hatch of some sort later.

Finally the knees resting on second stringer. I’ve also shaped and sanded down the fore and aft deck corner pieces.

I’ll leave all this overnight to toughen up before joining the ends of the beam knees with a stringer all round to mount the cockpit vertical surround wooden trim which this time is going to be a Beech ply and end grain balsa laminate I hope.
Jerry.

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2018, 08:36:03 am »

:-)) great build.. My friend build one of this hull to,, with a cheddar steam plant in.. 8 years ago
           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lgUdAa77o

Regards
Bernhard                       

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2018, 07:36:39 am »

I had to get a bit inventive with clamping arrangement. I bought six of these. Hit turns out that they won’t grip on any surface so glued some worn sanding disk to pads with same result.

This was the final solution. I’m using “extra strong” cyo but it takes a few minutes to go off.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2018, 05:10:36 am »

I finished all the deck and cockpit coaming supports, gave everything a final rub down and shaping and coated all interior with red oxide primer.

Now, the plan is to use some very thin birch ply/1/8” balsa sheet/birch ply laminate to make up the inner cockpit coaming.
1) cut two strips with the surface grain of the ply sheet, wide enough to allow for the sheer and camber to allow for a scale 4” to show above deck after deck planks fitted, rising to scale6” at the foredeck with butt joints on the centre line fore and aft and a scale 3” to protrude below the deck line. These will be glued and pinned to the coaming supports and form the outboard face of the coaming.
2) mark out and trim to size above and below deck.
3) cut 4” widths of a length of balsa sheet and apply to inner side of birch coaming outer with vertical grain.
4) glue an inner section of birch ply similar to the outer On to the balsa.
5) trim to size.
6) cap the exposed top and bottom surfaces with birch ply and trim out.

What could possibly go wrong?

Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2018, 10:21:17 am »

So Jerry asks ......What could possibly go wrong? .....

Digital images tend to distort dimensions .....however this is the same hull

Too long for the bath...too long for my vehicle, too heavy to lift >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 10:53:03 am »

I have had to put a build on hold indefinitely for the same reason. Where I live I don't have easy access to the water that is available. Bigger and heavier models will be too much of a problem to launch and recover.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2018, 12:23:34 am »

I might keep this one on a mooring.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2018, 05:04:56 am »

Since last post I’ve been sidetracked to lesser deeds. Revitalised a tired 1:1 Mirror dinghy daggerboard. Better here than UK as I can get two coats of varnish on each side here. Also quite impressed with Bunnings varnish too. Goes on easy and flows well giving consistently smooth level coats.
Anyway, to business. When I could fit it in I attached the outer cockpit surround 0.5 mm birch ply sheet. I put it in without adhesive using loads of clamps. Then removing one clamp I wicked in some cyo replaced clamp, removed next and wicked cyo——— all the way round. When set I removed all clamps then, with the hull upside down,  ran a line of cyo all round the underside. When all set I repeated the process on the other side.

Once the outer face had all gone off I got some 1/8” balsa sheet, cut slices with vertical grain and using PVA stuck these inboard of the outer ply to add some body and stiffness to the cockpit surround.

Once all dry, removed clamps, cleaned up excess PVA from the vertical joints before glueing in the inside face of birch ply on one side. Tomorrow I will finish the remaining side.

It is now really quite strong.

When it’s all gone off I will do a miniature version for the sides of the steering gear servo hatch coaming and then I will be ready to start laying the deck. Then I will be in a position to mark out and trim coaming to finished size and cap the exposed balsa filler.
Jerry.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2018, 08:11:10 am »

Bonjour Jerry,
Is your wife aware that you use her clothespins  :}  ?
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2018, 01:25:09 pm »

This is what it looks like now.

They are not my wife’s clothes pegs, they are my own clothes pegs. So much cheaper than clamps.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2018, 07:15:04 am »

I started off today by finding the centre of the boat so I can get the centre deck plank in its best position. This is a compromise between measurement and visual be cause the hull is not completely symmetrical.

I’ve got a couple of A4 sheets of thin card which I’ve cut into thin strips a fraction wider than the planks are thick. Original choice was plasticard but I can’t find any.  I’ve used PVA adhesive to fix strips all the way round the outer part of the coaming to simulate pitch caulking between planks.

Then I fixed the sections of the king plank with PVA.

[ur

Jerry.

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2018, 07:48:24 am »

:-)) I forgot to tell you that my friend's same boat weighs 42kg,,  (he have allso cut it down)

this        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lgUdAa77o

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2018, 08:25:22 am »

42 kg?! I'm surprised it even floats!  And your friend must have big muscles to launch and recover that boat. It looks lovely on the video but where does all that weight come from? Jerry, do you have an estimate or goal for your final weight?

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2018, 08:49:43 am »

Bernard, I’m not surprised it’s heavy because it is well “down by the head”!! 
Greg, morning mate, I haven’t actually weighed it but I have put everything in it and dropped it I The bath. It floats quite high but with a nice presentable stern trim. I’m not putting feed water tanks in. I will take from lake as with Wear. If it’s too heavy to lift it’s going on a mooring!
Rgds
Jerry.

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2018, 09:29:30 am »

:-)  YES,, IT IS VERY HEAVY LOTS OF LEAD in it,, to much i think,, vi have to help him, every time he come to the lake,,and in and out of the car to,,too much trouble with a boat in that wight,,, GREAT BUILD YOU HAVE GOING ON,,

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2018, 11:46:56 am »

:-)  YES,, IT IS VERY HEAVY LOTS OF LEAD in it,, to much i think,, vi have to help him, every time he come to the lake,,and in and out of the car to,,too much trouble with a boat in that wight,,, GREAT BUILD YOU HAVE GOING ON,,

Bernhard,
I think that your friend should check the weight, 42 kg is 21 bags of 2 kg potatoes or in imperial  92.4lbs or 6.6stone,  I don't think that he could lift it without a crane. !!!!!!

George.

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2018, 12:10:14 pm »

:-)) :-)    haaaaa noo it is true i have lift with another friend more than 1 time,,, i tell   you   it is heavyyyyy

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2018, 09:58:54 pm »

Bonjour,
Bernhard, I trust you but my heaviest boat is my 1,37 m tug boat "Côte d'Emeraude" which weighs "only" about 35 kilos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSOSj89BY_M and you can see that is is a much bigger baby than Carsten's open launch.
My 1,20m launch eLiv@ (see Kingdon boiler topic) weighs about 15 kilos and is quite large too but high on the water.
Perhaps could we create a dedicated topic to share about sizes and weights in order to avoid polluting this topic ? 
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2018, 10:34:09 am »

Hello!
I know that she is heavy and according to what I read above, I had a doubt! :o
I just come back from my shop to put my launch on the scale.
She weighs 18 kg without gas & water (1.2 l)
I don't know why, but she is heavier and heavier through the years.... %)
Cheers.

Fanny de KBIO _ Scottish Fifties

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2018, 10:47:21 am »

Hi Jerry you have made a lovely job of the cockpit surround I really like the way you have laminated it to get the shape perfect too.  Looking at the pictures I had the thought that as its secured to a narrow strip will the heat of the boiler warp it in anyway?  I obviously don't know what the next steps are but its just a thought.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2018, 01:41:47 pm »

Hi Mark. Next step is the decking which I just started but had to stop to go and watch the Brumbies play Queensland Reds. It’s a hard life but I’ll make the sacrifice. At the moment the coaming is attached to a 1/4” square strip of spruce which incorporates a fair amount of sheer. The deck will add another 4mm (excuse the mix of units). After trimming to final size the coaming will be only 7/8” deep. It will be quite stiff and unlikely to move. As to the heat from the boiler there is none. It’s well insulated and cool to the touch. Even the smoke and fire boxes are cool. This boat is big and there is 2” clearance around steam plant. Marking out the cut will be easy but getting a good onetime clean cut is going to take some thought.
Jerry.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2018, 03:17:49 pm »

Hi Jerry I had to Google that and I see that the Brumbies won the match........so I hope they were your team  %%

Thanks for the info its all makes sense and also gives a scale of the boat that the pictures don't.  2" of clearance I can only dream of that sort of space - Keep the updates coming  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2018, 02:11:57 am »

Hi Mark, we will be coming south to the Midlands on our Narrowboat Angelica for the summer. Depart Chester mid May bound for the midland canal/river system. Will deffo do the Dudley Museum (got a lock in in the museum pub once). Will also be attending the Wednesfield Canal Festival at Bentley Bridge 11/13th August so maybe we can meet up sometime/somewhere??
Jerry.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.