Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor choice  (Read 2059 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Motor choice
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:59 am »

looking for suggestions on motors for 1/72 HMS Victorious.
Model is around 10.50 feet, triple props approx 3” dis. Centre prop five bladed others three bladed
I will finish this model

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor choice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:11:39 am »

looking for suggestions on motors for 1/72 HMS Victorious.
Model is around 10.50 feet, triple props approx 3” dis. Centre prop five bladed others three bladed

3 good fan motors would be my recomendation

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor choice
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 01:59:41 pm »

I agree, for many years I've used the blower fan motors from behind the dashboard of cars for large models. They are quite cheap from the breakers, will operate well from 6v to 14v, are typically 12 pole motors with silent running and great torque so they can be direct drive to the props. Also designed to run for years without any attention so have large bearings and brushes.

I used two from an old Talbot Horizon for my model of Iron Duke and they are perfect. I run them in parallel on 6 volts and max current draw is 3.5 amps on full speed.

I think they are all pretty similar these days so one manufacturers is probably as good as any others - just depends on the size.

If using these sorts of motors do be aware they can have quite a stall current north of 20 amps each. I just have a 10amp fuse in line with the speed controller and a 5amp fuse to each motor - all works well.

Cheers

Geoff

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.