Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: sound module  (Read 6947 times)

benidormbob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
sound module
« on: November 16, 2017, 05:32:43 pm »

Hi All, I have a Weser fire boat that I'm restoring. I would like to add some sound to it, ie sirens etc. Looked on Ebay and they only have small ones that don't do much. Looked further into it and there are kits on line around the £150 mark which to me is very expensive, Although it controls lights as well. Is there anything on the market that is easy as I'm not to good at soldering. Thank you {:-{ 

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: sound module
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:39:06 pm »

Try the component shop   :-))
Regards,

Rich

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:21:02 pm »

Hi,

I know this are not cheap and probery looked at them but considering what it does its well worth it. I got mine wired up so can swap it between models. got mine to to sound lights water pumps etc.

https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-rc-2/usm-rc-2.php?sprache=gb

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:25:40 pm »

As Rich says try the Component Shop.

They had all sorts rigged up to try at the recent International Model Boat show.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

benidormbob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:12 pm »

Thank's
 looked at the component shop To pricey at £150 +

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:31:22 pm »

Regards,

Rich

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:14 pm »

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:41 pm »

try Bendini sound unit, I use them in my boats.

inertia

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:14:23 pm »

Thank's
 looked at the component shop To pricey at £150 +

By how much exactly is £79.95 more than £150?
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p110-noisy-thing-ii-digital-sound-playback-module.html
And it's "too" and "thanks".
Schooled in Broxtowe or Clifton?
DM

benidormbob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 04:45:19 am »

Not schooled at either. Whats your problem ?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 08:58:29 am »

My guess it's reference to the £150 Component Shop sound unit that doesn't actually exist!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

benidormbob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 09:44:21 am »

Just checked it out again and found what I'm looking for from the component shop, And yes it is £79.95 as someone has stated. I must have been looking at a different site, So I have been corrected there. Not a problem there. It is the reference to my spelling I'm not happy about and where I was schooled !

T33cno

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 09:54:39 am »

Personally I decided against a noisy thing as it doesn't have sounds that will assimilate twin 9 cylinder diesels or any modern tug. Too many models out there don't sound authentic and no sound is better than wrong sound.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 09:59:59 am »

on this thread, as I am a total numpty with electronics, is it possible to make a sound module that would imitate a twin cylinder compound steam engine with a whine of a turbine water pump that would fit in my steam lifeboat.......just wondering.

neil.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 10:07:01 am »

Hi Neil,

Yes - the sound modules that play "real" sound files ( normally wav files - CD quality) would do this. However it would seem that you want to play more than one sound file at the same time which eliminates some of the candidates.

The other issues are getting the sound files in the first place that you are happy with and mounting a large enough speaker in the boat so you can here the sound from the shore!

Not sure exactly what sound a twin cylinder compound steam engine produces but may be worth a quick look here

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/combo-mk3

Have a listen to voice 9

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

inertia

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:26 am »

Personally I decided against a noisy thing as it doesn't have sounds that will assimilate twin 9 cylinder diesels or any modern tug.
P110 will play two sound files simultaneously e.g. twin engines or one engine plus one other. As regards not having the right sound, it will play any recorded engine sounds stored in WAV format, so if you can obtain the right sound then it will play it back faithfully. Surely you don't expect any manufacturer to put together a library of every known type and mark of diesel engine and punt it out on a CD-ROM for a fiver? The only thing with which I do agree is that having no sound is better than the wrong one e.g. a Perkasa with three petrol engines or an audible WW2 battleship engine. There's nothing wrong with brand loyalty but putting about incorrect or incomplete information about other brands has to be challenged.
DM

T33cno

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 11:30:45 am »

Yes I do fully expect a more comprehensive range of sound files. That is what sells sound modules

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 11:39:33 am »

Not a bad selection of sound files from these guys - USM RC2 will play any sound file and can play 4 sounds simultaneously

Check out the sound samples at the bottom of this web page - Note sound CD does cost 10 euro

https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-rc-2/usm-rc-2.php?sprache=gb

C-3PO

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »

Thanks guys.......................

just fancy having a sound system in my lifeboat, thud thud thudding around the lake on a calm sunny day, and having a bright spark coming and telling me that it shouldn't have a steam engine sound in it.......lol..............My life isn't full without a little bit of spoon stirring lol.

Maybe the pump will make it's own sound so a single sound from a unit would suffice.

RST

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »

Does anybody remember "sounds amazing" modules?  They were fantastic for the money but I'm going back probably 15+ years ago now.  I think that was the name anyway, I sold a spare boxed board a few years ago with a tug hull and big bass speaker -I have one buried in a launch at the moment but it doesn't say a manufacturer on the board that I can see.  The ones I have are for V8 caterpillars and they sound spot-on, I seem to remember a whole range available but not been able to find them again for searching the last few years???

Cheers,

Rich

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 07:36:51 pm »

You're thinking of JJC sound modules. They never were very successful and disappeared from the market years ago although they still command high prices when the odd one appears on ebay

RST

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 07:48:10 pm »

You're thinking of JJC sound modules. They never were very successful and disappeared from the market years ago although they still command high prices when the odd one appears on ebay

Thanks RMH -JJC rings a bell.  My first one never worked (just crackled but they replaced it), my second two really were the best I heard if a decent bass speaker was connected.  I must admit I haven't tried anything since.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 09:45:09 pm »

Like these -

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:21 pm »

by coincidence, I'm currently playing with this, but sometimes you just have to pay the price.... to achieve everything, it comes at a price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXFvrkDl7ow

Unfortunately, I was wearing  "hatcam" and forgot to tilt my head down!

mrrcsound use actual recordings of the real thing, this boat currently sounds "tinny" on the stand, as the transducers  sound better when the boat is in the water, its more of an experiment at the moment

if you want cheap, just use a Bluetooth speaker that can take an sd card, and download your own tracks, but it wont be proportional.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 10:51:40 pm »

RST hit the nail on the as regards to speakers, unfortunately the average model boat cannot carry the proper sized speaker to get the right sound. nemesis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.