Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound module  (Read 6939 times)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: sound module
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:01:46 pm »

You can use these instead of a speaker - attach them to the hull and effectively turn the hull into the speaker sounding box.

I have had mixed success with this approach - red181 looks like he nailed it :-))

and my ALL time favourite RC soundcard -the Beier USM RC2 - you have to play with one of these for a few hours to realise exactly what it can do...

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

RST

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 12:29:11 am »

if I recall at the time JJ  Had a decent wattage output but allowed an 8ohm speaker rather than 4.  My Sangsetia howls and resonates off an old 6" or so hi-fi speaker -you really do think there's a pair of v8 turbo caterpillars in there!!! But I've never found anything so realistic sounding for a good few years since.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 06:58:52 am »

I have been collecting JJC sound modules for years and have loads of master units/amps ect , they really sound great but even with the extra JJC amp they in my opinion are not loud enough , however in my MTB i added a Maplin 40 watt amp and the result was incredible .you cannot just connect the amp to the speaker terminals on the master unit you need a small homemade circuit in between to eliminate all the dirty noise , if anyone is interested in how to do this i can forward a circuit diagram .

Dave

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 09:09:09 am »

Hi Dave,

I have a fascination for model sound (and light and animation). I spent some time deconstructing a JJC unit to understand how it worked - the answer is incredibly simple compared to some modern cards.

As you probably know it was based around an APlus aP8821 OTP (One Time Programmable) audio chip giving 21 seconds of audio @ 6khz which by modern standards is really low tech - maybe that's why it sounds so good(?)

A simple Pic chip interfaced to the radio control receiver input and the audio was output to a Philips TDA8945S  single-channel audio power amplifier with an output power of
15 W at an 8 W load and an 18 V supply. From what I understand it was the amp that was the weak point as it often overheated and died

This combination does produce a particular sound that doesn't seem to have been replicated with more modern sound devices

At some point when I have time it is my intention to see extract the audio profile from the chip and analyse it's characteristics. With modern DSP boards some really amazing sound can be produced.

I have had the board below sitting on my shelf waiting time to fire it up for model sound - I believe it will knock spots off most model sound having used it's little brother in the past

All part of the fun....

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »

C-C3PO ,Very interesting keep us informed
 :-))
Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:35 pm »

straying away from op, (sorry) but some Saturday night fun whilst the wife hogs the tv with endless rubbish (the jungle thing comes back tomorrow, WoW!)

this is a simple sparkfun trigger board from technobots. (Alan Bond developed it, and made me the trigger unit as I do not have the tyeccy knowledge for that)I downloaded dialogue and music etc from the film, and using a redundant channel (left stick, up/down) as the "trigger" I can select from a dozen different tracks. I used a simple free internet download to get a constant old diesel engine sound and this plays behind the tracks.

Just for fun :}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOO0QfESH-I

benidormbob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 04:11:59 pm »

Bought a blue tooth speaker and going to go down that route for now. Thank's for all the advice guys  :}
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.